PDA

View Full Version : Manual ?

Iamknott
07-05-2007, 07:36 PM
I purchased The Ultimate Flight Collection which includes PF version 3.0. When I opened the box, there was no printed manual, although there were clips which appear to be designed to hold one and the readme file on the first CD refers to a manual. Did I get a defective package? If so, is the manual available online for download? thanks.

Iamknott
07-05-2007, 07:36 PM
I purchased The Ultimate Flight Collection which includes PF version 3.0. When I opened the box, there was no printed manual, although there were clips which appear to be designed to hold one and the readme file on the first CD refers to a manual. Did I get a defective package? If so, is the manual available online for download? thanks.

berg417448
07-05-2007, 07:39 PM
Explore the CD and see if there is a manual in a PDF file on it.

Iamknott
07-05-2007, 07:55 PM
As far as I can see, there are no .pdf or .txt files, only the readme .rtf file (in three languages). I looked on both CDs.

berg417448
07-05-2007, 08:10 PM
Ok...I think if you go to the mission4today site you will be able to search and find a download for the Aircraft Guide, Controls and the Manual (PDF files) for IL2 1946. (Il2 1946 uses the Pacific Fighters manual)

http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=2491

Iamknott
07-05-2007, 08:30 PM
Thanks, berg. I downloaded the files. I think that I will still go back to the store and try to exchange this package for one with a manual. I think printed manuals are easier to use for reference. Nevertheless, I appreciate your assistance.

Crash_Moses
07-05-2007, 09:31 PM
Exchange it for 1946...although you'd still be sans manual...but '46 has everything from the beginning through Pacific Fighters and beyond.

FluffyDucks2
07-06-2007, 10:14 AM
THERE IS NO PRINTED MANUAL!!!

The manual is in pdf form in your game installation folder http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

If you go back to the shopkeeper demanding a manual that doesn't exist, you are liable to some embarassment http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

Skycat_2
07-06-2007, 06:40 PM
I can't remember exactly where they put the .PDF manual for Pacific Fighters, but I vaguely recall you should look in a subfolder in your game's main folder. It may also be on PF's disc #2, along with (if I recall correctly) a IAS/TAS chart for computing bomb speed. I also remember the manual having several language versions.

Don't expect the manual to be very informative though. The original release version of PF did come with a printed manual (exactly the same as the PDF) that briefly explains how to set up the game, manage a campaign, and use the full mission builder. It also has a few pages about combat tactics, but nothing specific for any particular plane. Most of the text was copy/pasted from the Forgotten Battles manual anyhow.

The 1946 DVD includes the PF version of the PDF manual, but also a new aircraft guide PDF that is closer to being a true pilot's manual. If worse comes to worse maybe somebody can send you one or both of those. If you look at fan sites like Mission4Today and Netwings, you should be able to find numberous user-made guides (for all facets of the game) that are more detailed than what are included with the game.

Iamknott
07-07-2007, 11:01 AM
FWIW, I did go back to the "shopkeeper" (if you can call Wal-Mart a shop) and we opened a second game package which also did not contain a manual. No embarassment suffered by either side as there is no explanation on the package re whether a manual should or should not be included.

I will follow the suggestions offered and I thank you all for your help. This seems to be a very attentive and polite forum. No doubt I will be back when I get into the game.

chicondaman
07-08-2007, 07:52 PM
I have that same "ultimate fighter collection" with Pacific Fighters, Lock On, and IL2 (the original).

Once I installed PF, there was a manual.pdf file my Program Files/Ubisoft/Pacific Fighters folder.

It's a nice little intro to the game.

If you can take it back though and get 1946 I bet you'd be happier in the long run. I only just got into flight sims a few months ago and I wish now I had known about 1946 then. Since I've already got PF with all my fancy single missions built, I'm gonna live with PF standalone though and save my money for a trackir.

If you keep the Pacific Fighters, make sure and install all the service patches from PacificFighters.com

-Chicondaman

Zeus-cat
07-08-2007, 08:42 PM
chicoandaman

For the record, all your PF missions will work in 1946. You can always bring missions forward to a later version of this sim. Going the other way is hit or miss.