PDA

View Full Version : Russian Compass

KronikAlkoholik
01-30-2006, 03:56 AM
The compass in many russian planes are hidden under the weapon aim thingy (what is that called), even if I hit shift+F1 I can't see it. Really bothers me if I wanna play full realism. Also any tips for take off when you don't see if the plane ahead of you has taken off?

KronikAlkoholik
01-30-2006, 03:56 AM
The compass in many russian planes are hidden under the weapon aim thingy (what is that called), even if I hit shift+F1 I can't see it. Really bothers me if I wanna play full realism. Also any tips for take off when you don't see if the plane ahead of you has taken off?

nakamura_kenji
01-30-2006, 04:00 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">weapon aim thingy (what is that called), </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

reflector gunsight

only suggest just use heading hud bottom corner no other way think maybe other person able suggest no hope able do help more ^_^

dieg777
01-30-2006, 04:16 AM
as you have found out -for compass you need to use the speedbar as it is hidden in some planes

for take off use the comms to ask tower for permission to take off

or use externals

or apply full right rudder, keep brakes on and tailwheel unlocked then put in some throttle- plane will swing round and you can view runway. when you can see runway then cut throttle. wait until it is clear then full left rudder with brakes and use throttle to swing back to centre.

hope this helps

KronikAlkoholik
01-30-2006, 05:41 AM
Training on using inside gauges, can I turn on speed bar but only let it show heading, not spd or height?

Guess I'll try for the turning with brakes on, is the asking for clearence thing added in PF (still waiting for that) or have I just missed it?

p-11.cAce
01-30-2006, 06:04 AM
I think if you turn off speedbar in switches you still have the option of having the heading show or toggle it off - you can map this contol. I have not flown with full speedbar in ages but keep heading on all the time. I always use the turn trick when waiting for the a/c in front of me to take off - I just turn enough to see the tip of the wing of the a/c in front of me. I have been flying a pacific campaign in an F4F and I go to full power as soon as that wingtip starts moving; I've found that the delay in coming up to full throttle combined with the slight offset from swinging back to straight puts me right where I want to be to join up with that a/c.

Tully__
01-30-2006, 09:56 AM
The Heading Only speedbar is a PF thing, not available in FB/AEP.

I think the takeoff clearance is a PF thing too, added for carriers where there isn't room to slew to one side to see down the runway.

KronikAlkoholik
01-30-2006, 10:10 AM
Well my PF should be arriving any day now with my x52. So looking forward to it. But when I get the joystick I can't longer say that I only suck because I'm using keyboard, then i'll see that I suck anyway. Well guess I'll find a squadron to care for me :P

georgeo76
01-30-2006, 10:33 AM
This is what bugs me the most about this game. I would rather see my heading than my flight stick, and if the cockpit has to be warped to make this happen, so be it.

You can't tell me that actual cockpits were designed gauges obscured.

Back when I was a CFS2 guy, I put off IL2 because all the screenshots showed the speedbar and HUD. Naturally, I figured this meant an arcade game.

I don't mind mind the speedbar/hud as an option, but when it's necessary, it's a silly workaround. I guess BoB will have 6dof so you'll be able to look around better. Hope you won't need a TIR to do it though.

KronikAlkoholik
01-30-2006, 12:30 PM
Yeah sometimes this game seems to sacrifice realism for realism.
Yeah it's more real if the cockpit looks this way, but then in reality they where able to tilt there head to see it. If they have to have it so real they should include it all or have a sensible workaround.

Philipscdrw
01-30-2006, 01:51 PM
It must be awkward to tilt your head downwards to see the compass under the sight! Remember you're tightly strapped to your seat (assuming the Russians use full harnesses - didn't the Americans (or at least the USN) only use lap-belts?)

Then again, this is from the nation that put the LaGG-3's airspeed-indicator at the bottom of the instrument panel, where it is impossible to look at it quickly without completely losing track of what is going on outside the aircraft...