PDA

View Full Version : The difference... between a patch & a mod..

Bearcat99
09-25-2009, 08:47 AM
There has been a lot of talk lately about patches & mods etc.. It seems that some are confused on what is what .. so I figured I'd post this..

The diffeernce is..

A patch is officially sanctioned by 1C and therefore would have all the benefits associated with that.. and just to be open minded some of the drawbacks. You cant pick & choose which part of a patch you want. Ypu may never fly that xyzplane..but it's in the patch so it is now yours..

A mod is not officially sanctioned by 1C and may be lacking some of the benefits referred to above.. ie quality control etc..

Over the past 8 years there have been some patches that for lack of a better term.. did not please a lot of folks.. and there have been so,me mods tat have been stellar... but IMO that is the major difference between the two.. If some of the mods had been released by 1C you would have had the usual nit picking.. but there would have been a lot of Thanks Oleg!! as well.. and similarly if some parts of someof the patches had been rel;eased as mods.. they wouldnt be on some PCs..

I like some of the mods.. but if I could get some of the features of some of the mods I like in an official patch that perhaps had some of the code reworked for better efficiency.. (Not that I am asking for that to happen.. I'm just being hypothetical) I'd be on it in a heartbeat with a clean "mod free" install.

Bearcat99
09-25-2009, 08:47 AM
There has been a lot of talk lately about patches & mods etc.. It seems that some are confused on what is what .. so I figured I'd post this..

The diffeernce is..

A patch is officially sanctioned by 1C and therefore would have all the benefits associated with that.. and just to be open minded some of the drawbacks. You cant pick & choose which part of a patch you want. Ypu may never fly that xyzplane..but it's in the patch so it is now yours..

A mod is not officially sanctioned by 1C and may be lacking some of the benefits referred to above.. ie quality control etc..

Over the past 8 years there have been some patches that for lack of a better term.. did not please a lot of folks.. and there have been so,me mods tat have been stellar... but IMO that is the major difference between the two.. If some of the mods had been released by 1C you would have had the usual nit picking.. but there would have been a lot of Thanks Oleg!! as well.. and similarly if some parts of someof the patches had been rel;eased as mods.. they wouldnt be on some PCs..

I like some of the mods.. but if I could get some of the features of some of the mods I like in an official patch that perhaps had some of the code reworked for better efficiency.. (Not that I am asking for that to happen.. I'm just being hypothetical) I'd be on it in a heartbeat with a clean "mod free" install.

doraemil
09-25-2009, 08:59 AM
I feel you.

I wish IL-2 devs took the Pirates of the Burning Sea (POTBS) approach.

The POTBS devs run polls for making add ons / mods as standard features, and if there is an overwhelming desire they put it in.

Also users can upload skins / models and if the dev review team likes it, they include it in game.

I've heard some awesome ones with different machine guns, cannon sounds, flaps or warbird engine sounds, like a 109 sounds like the oldschool warbird 109 with its original engine.

I'm currently running 4.08. When I clear out system space I'll install 2 IL-2's on my hard drive, one stock, the other with mods.

Muddy17
09-25-2009, 10:00 PM
All I really want would be a Kate with trim control

Scolar
09-26-2009, 02:50 AM
A mod is a significant change made by a fan to improve the gameplay. A patch is a small update made by the developers of the game.

BillSwagger
09-26-2009, 03:13 AM
Technically, they are the same except patches have the advantage of being hard coded into the game for faster upload and overall game play.

I know some mods sites are making efforts in keeping their mods with in certain compatibility guidelines so people aren't running around with with 10 new slot planes of the exact same variant, but the only way to really make sure everyone has the same advantages and fixes is to introduce a patch.

I think its better for the online crowd. I tend to enjoy the mods offline more anyhow.

Bill

AndyJWest
09-26-2009, 04:49 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Muddy17:
All I really want would be a Kate with trim control </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Strictly speaking, it isn't true that you need a mod for this. There are joysticks around with hardware trim adjustments, and there are ways to do this in software too.

Lt_Letum
09-26-2009, 05:00 AM
Ha!

If Oleg released any of the Franken-planes,
broken effects or choppy sounds that the mods
contain, there would be an out-cry from the zoo.

Bearcat99
09-26-2009, 06:46 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lt_Letum:
Ha!
If Oleg released any of the Franken-planes,
broken effects or choppy sounds that the mods
contain, there would be an out-cry from the zoo. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes but...

A-The Franken planes and bad mods are not the norm. Despite their existence there are some very good, very functional, very practical well made mods out there. The HotKeys mod is a prime example. This mod lest you fine tune the viewing settings as far as icons & padlock. It also lets you set up individual bi directional controls for your radiator and your gear. Also the splash screen mod... after flying in this sim for 8 years and inspite of having 3 different stock interefaces overthat time.. it is GREAT to be able to customize what I see when the sim loads. The 6DoF nmod is anothe gem. I was in a Corsair last night.. and as I swung around to look for the carrier it was great being able to peep over the instrument panel hood for the ship, or being able to look around while on the ground.

B-Oleg & 1C would never release anything that was not quality.. at least not without a quick fix. The exploding P-40 and the 109 bug come to mind right off the bat.

I think ti is absolutely great that TD is here and that they are taking up the mantle with official patches and the blessings of O & 1C ... but at the same time I have been able tosee some of these mods for what they truly are... great additions to a great sim. I have no doubt that the SoW series will be as revolutionary as IL2 was in it's debut.. and just as flexible.

It is amazing to me that there this sim can still be run on the latest monster PC or on a 7 year old box with ease if set up right.

R_Target
09-26-2009, 07:09 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bearcat99:
B-Oleg & 1C would never release anything that was not quality.. at least not without a quick fix. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Asymmetric recoil on USN planes was ignored for over a year. Prop pitch exploit still works after several years.

FoundryWork
09-29-2009, 08:23 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scolar:
A mod is a significant change made by a fan to improve the gameplay. A patch is a small update made by the developers of the game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Problem is, that the "fan" that made the mod will make it to suit their subjective ideals, which may be in their best interest, but a gun that shoots 500lb bombs, or a Spitfire that out-turns a zero, is certainly not in the interest of anyone else, or history.

Then we have:

"Asymmetric recoil on USN planes was ignored for over a year. Prop pitch exploit still works after several years."

The ability to adjust prop-pitch, and the intelligence letting one do it at the correct time, is not an exploit, it is just a matter of one pilot being better than another.

The meddling and DUMB prop-pitch properties that have been done on some aircraft because of the ignorant whining about prop-pitch exploits is for kiddies gaming software, not for a flight sim.