PDA

View Full Version : Finally Went Online: questions

ViktorViktor
04-23-2007, 02:07 AM
I decided this month to try to fly online after 3+ years of flying offline. I installed Hyperlobby and TeamSpeak last week and then took the plunge yesterday. After visiting 3 servers for a look-see, I settled on uk-dedicated.2, which had a Berlin 1945 scenario going. Took off alright (in a 109-G6/AS)and then tried to find some friendlies to tag along with.

Spent most of my time climbing, checking my 6 and trying to build up the nerve to approach some specks to see if they were Blue or Red.

I chickened out and decided next to head for an enemy airbase at high altitude. Once there I spotted an A-20 under me and flipped over to make a firing run. As I flipped upside down and dove, I immediately lost sight of him and so pulled up, unsure. (I always fly offline with icons on so I'm not used to this).

As luck would have it, I was now flying in the direction of friendly lines. And I could see off in that direction 3 specks at my height. They're probably friendlies I thought, and flew towards them. As I got nearer, I saw that there were 6 or 7 of them, and some were lower than me. As I continued to fly towards them looking this way and that, I suddenly spotted an aircraft in smoky grey/blue camo 500m in front and lower than me, flying in the same direction. I entered a shallow dive and came out behind and slightly below him. I now recognised it as a La-7 and opened fire, my heart pounding. Then I was past him and started climbing away. I had hit him but could see no sign of damage. He then rolled to the left but did not break. Moments later I received the message 'Aircraft Destroyed'. I must have pilot-Ked him !

Of course his friends noticed something was wrong and I was shot down after being chased here and there for about 30 seconds. But still . . .

I got shot down again a couple of minutes later and then quit. I'm proud that I got a kill in my first combat online, but I realize that I don't have my act together (yet) and need some help.

1) My TeamSpeak doesn't seem to function correctly. I could hear blue team speaking but they couldn't seem to hear me. I left the settings on default. However, I also notice that I can't record anything anymore with my microphone (headset). Is this the reason I can't be heard ? Is there a way to test (alone) if I can be heard over TeamSpeak ? It's a real drag flying around alone.

2) When I first spawned, my plane appeared in the ac 'parking lot'. I had a really hard time locating the runway and how to get there. While I pondered, a FW-190 spawned and immediately taxied away at high speed. A-ha, I thought, I'll follow him ! It turned out that his plane hit a barrier and blew up before he found the runway (he might have been trying to take off from a taxiing-path). I followed his example seconds later. After I was dead, I used external view to see where the runway was. My question is, how do noobies find the runway the first time they show up at a server ? Is there some kind of runway etiquette which we should follow ? (like always landing to the east, etc) Do I need to ask permission to land ?

3) Several times while I was flying around, a blinding flash occurred. The first time it happened, I thought someone had just snuck up on me and blew my crate in two pieces. )Spent the next 2 minutes trying to find the SOB who I thought had clobbered me.) Half the time when this happened I lost my force feedback afterwards. What is this ?

4) Finally, how can we choose which plane we fly? I saw that I received an aircraft based upon which airbase I picked. In my case I was assigned a 109-G6/AS, but after I got shot down I used external views to look around, and saw that there were FW-190Ds, FW-190As, and Me-262s as well as my ac type. How do I get my hands on one of these babies ? It's no fun flying around in a G6 when the opposition is flying La-7s and Yak-3s.

ViktorViktor
04-23-2007, 02:07 AM
I decided this month to try to fly online after 3+ years of flying offline. I installed Hyperlobby and TeamSpeak last week and then took the plunge yesterday. After visiting 3 servers for a look-see, I settled on uk-dedicated.2, which had a Berlin 1945 scenario going. Took off alright (in a 109-G6/AS)and then tried to find some friendlies to tag along with.

Spent most of my time climbing, checking my 6 and trying to build up the nerve to approach some specks to see if they were Blue or Red.

I chickened out and decided next to head for an enemy airbase at high altitude. Once there I spotted an A-20 under me and flipped over to make a firing run. As I flipped upside down and dove, I immediately lost sight of him and so pulled up, unsure. (I always fly offline with icons on so I'm not used to this).

As luck would have it, I was now flying in the direction of friendly lines. And I could see off in that direction 3 specks at my height. They're probably friendlies I thought, and flew towards them. As I got nearer, I saw that there were 6 or 7 of them, and some were lower than me. As I continued to fly towards them looking this way and that, I suddenly spotted an aircraft in smoky grey/blue camo 500m in front and lower than me, flying in the same direction. I entered a shallow dive and came out behind and slightly below him. I now recognised it as a La-7 and opened fire, my heart pounding. Then I was past him and started climbing away. I had hit him but could see no sign of damage. He then rolled to the left but did not break. Moments later I received the message 'Aircraft Destroyed'. I must have pilot-Ked him !

Of course his friends noticed something was wrong and I was shot down after being chased here and there for about 30 seconds. But still . . .

I got shot down again a couple of minutes later and then quit. I'm proud that I got a kill in my first combat online, but I realize that I don't have my act together (yet) and need some help.

1) My TeamSpeak doesn't seem to function correctly. I could hear blue team speaking but they couldn't seem to hear me. I left the settings on default. However, I also notice that I can't record anything anymore with my microphone (headset). Is this the reason I can't be heard ? Is there a way to test (alone) if I can be heard over TeamSpeak ? It's a real drag flying around alone.

2) When I first spawned, my plane appeared in the ac 'parking lot'. I had a really hard time locating the runway and how to get there. While I pondered, a FW-190 spawned and immediately taxied away at high speed. A-ha, I thought, I'll follow him ! It turned out that his plane hit a barrier and blew up before he found the runway (he might have been trying to take off from a taxiing-path). I followed his example seconds later. After I was dead, I used external view to see where the runway was. My question is, how do noobies find the runway the first time they show up at a server ? Is there some kind of runway etiquette which we should follow ? (like always landing to the east, etc) Do I need to ask permission to land ?

3) Several times while I was flying around, a blinding flash occurred. The first time it happened, I thought someone had just snuck up on me and blew my crate in two pieces. )Spent the next 2 minutes trying to find the SOB who I thought had clobbered me.) Half the time when this happened I lost my force feedback afterwards. What is this ?

4) Finally, how can we choose which plane we fly? I saw that I received an aircraft based upon which airbase I picked. In my case I was assigned a 109-G6/AS, but after I got shot down I used external views to look around, and saw that there were FW-190Ds, FW-190As, and Me-262s as well as my ac type. How do I get my hands on one of these babies ? It's no fun flying around in a G6 when the opposition is flying La-7s and Yak-3s.

DD_Bucky
04-23-2007, 02:29 AM
Hello Viktor,

~S~ on your first online kill the first time out.Wow, you have a lot of good questions.Too many for me to try and answer right now,as I'm on my way to bed soon.

Why don't you come and visit me and my mates at the Danger Dogs squad?Theyre a great bunch of guys and could answer all your questions.

I'm been with the D.D's for 5months now and I've learned alot about flying online from them...as well as a lot of other stuff too!

C'mon and check us out!

Bucky

rnzoli
04-23-2007, 02:53 AM
My religion prohibits me from engaging in dicussions related to DF servers, but here are a few quick pointers:

1) Microphone setup. There is local test activation button in TS application, use that to verify your own sound levels & proper selecion of microphone.

2) Usually the runways are just ahead, 90 degrees to your spawning direction. If you have problem, just bail on the new airfield first, and look around with mouse.

3) Maybe another application is trying to compete with your IL-2, and tries to maximize itself, that's how force feedback can be lost. It doesn't get lost when you get shot down.

4) Atfer base select, go to Arming screen, you can select aircraft type from what is available on that base.

Finally, when you get fed up with DF, try co-ops as well. They are more similar to offline plays in many respect, than DF servers.

Yellow_Sub
04-23-2007, 02:58 AM
1) If you cannot record anything with your microphone the trouble lies there. First you should be able to do a record with it afterwards you can check some TS settings.

2)Use the outside view to orientate yourself. You should use the navigation lights and maybe the landing lights when taking off or landing. Use the taxiways to take off (check for traffic though). In a bomber you can take the runway, let planes land first, otherwise the runway is used most of the time for landings only. Let damaged planes land first. However this might diver from server to server. This is ok on the UK Dedicated servers, but on some full real servers you probably have to take off only from the runway. See server rules.

3)Never heard of that, you don't mean a readout or?

4)Planes are limited by the airport. Simply check the airports until you find your favourite ride. Also there a two sorts of server software out there. With one of them you can make restrictions on the available planes and armament. UK2 uses that system. Open the chat box and type <planes, the limits on certain planes and armaments will be displayed. You might get kicked if you select a wrong plane or armament. You might want to increase the size of the chatbox to atleast 4 lines, you can resize it with the mouse(drag the borderline with your mouse). Otherwise you will probably miss a lot of server messages. You can use PageUp to scroll back through the messages. You need to used PageDown to go to the end again. Otherwise the old messages will be displayed again, that can be confusing. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Check out the homepage of the UK Dedicated servers, if you like them you should get registerd.

http://www.battle-fields.com/

You will also find the server rules there.

You should be able to use these commands on UK Dedicated 2

"¢ <help - list of allowed commands

"¢ <gunstat - gunnery accuracy statistic, machineguns, guns, rockets and bombs

"¢ <live - number of lives which you spent thru the mission, number of KIA of yourself

"¢ <targets – main targets on map by map square coordinates

"¢ <time - timeout till mission end

"¢ <recon air - square with most air activity

"¢ <recon grd - square with most ground activity

"¢ <logon - password login (if needed) // probably admins only

"¢ <planes – plane set limit (if limits is on server)

"¢ <vote - vote for map change

"¢ <warn show penalty points

"¢ <teams shows numbers of players in teams

Couldn't find the commands for the other server software yet.

polak5
04-23-2007, 03:14 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nothing wrong with what u tried really, bad luck that u got behind someone that didint kno wer he was going. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif U usually spawn in in either end of the airfield or in the middle, some casses u en d way off from the runway(if its a big airfield). Try looking around first or just wait and see wer fellow pilots are going, next time when u RTB look around the airfield to get a better understanding of the field. In some servers people take off from taxiway and land on runway, on others this is restricted. (but ive seen peeps land on parking lot). Look both ways as Pilots landing always (should) HAVE priority.

I experience loss of feedback if im runing MSN mesenger and someone signs in or mesages me, or if norton pops up. check and see that your not running anything. Another way to loose FF is if for any reason u vist ur desktop while game is running.

BTW welcome to the online onslaught and congrats on ur kill. cya up ther
S~!

Matz0r
04-23-2007, 06:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">1) My TeamSpeak doesn't seem to function correctly. I could hear blue team speaking but they couldn't seem to hear me. I left the settings on default. However, I also notice that I can't record anything anymore with my microphone (headset). Is this the reason I can't be heard ? Is there a way to test (alone) if I can be heard over TeamSpeak ? It's a real drag flying around alone. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

First of all make sure your microphone works, you can do this with the local test mode in the teamspeak client.

Second make sure the voice system in IL2 is turned off, check the knobs under sound -&gt; radio and make sure they are pointing down. The ingame radio interferes with teamspeak and is probably the most common reason new users can't make themselves heard.

Third is just an advice, use "Push to talk" instead of voice activation - especially if you're using desktop speakers.

Good luck with your online endeavors!

T_O_A_D
04-23-2007, 07:19 AM
If you can't get TS to transmit try running your hardware wizard in windows.

Start/Control Panel/Sound and Audio Devices/Voice tab/Test hardware

Then just read and follow the wizard.
If it still doesn;t work I would assume the mic is bad or not plugged in.

This is assuming your sound card is good and has proper driver installation.

Oh congrats on the first kill, and welcome to our world.
I'd also recomend taking Basic Flight School over at J O, You'd be suprized what you will learn, no matter how long you have been flying. The link is in my sig for them.

Every thing else you asked has been answered well enough I think.

ViktorViktor
04-23-2007, 12:36 PM
Thanks Bucky. I found the K9 website and took a look, but had to leave before I wanted to cuz i was at work. Will go back and take a look at you alls activity calendar later !

ViktorViktor
04-23-2007, 12:44 PM
rnzoli wrote <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Finally, when you get fed up with DF, try co-ops as well. They are more similar to offline plays in many respect, than DF servers.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If a coop is more career-ish than DF, then it might be my cup of tea. Have no coop experience so hope coop fliers are patient.

Thanx for the tips.

ViktorViktor
04-23-2007, 12:51 PM
Yellow Submarine wrote
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">3)Never heard of that, you don't mean a readout or? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was like a flash of lightning right outside my cockpit. I thought a heavy cannon round had blown up my plane but of course I was still 'alive' and when I checked for damage I could find none. But twice my forcefeedback was gone.

Thanks for the link and command overview.

ViktorViktor
04-23-2007, 12:56 PM
Polak5 wrote
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I experience loss of feedback if im runing MSN mesenger and someone signs in or mesages me, or if norton pops up. check and see that your not running anything. Another way to loose FF is if for any reason u vist ur desktop while game is running. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You might have found the problem there. My anti-virus program was running in the bakground the whole time. It doesn't make a fuss when I'm playing off-line so I didn't de-activate it when I went online. I'll turn it off next time and see if the prob disappears. Thanx.

ViktorViktor
04-23-2007, 01:03 PM
F16_Matz_ wrote
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">First of all make sure your microphone works, you can do this with the local test mode in the teamspeak client.

Second make sure the voice system in IL2 is turned off, check the knobs under sound -&gt; radio and make sure they are pointing down. The ingame radio interferes with teamspeak and is probably the most common reason new users can't make themselves heard.

Third is just an advice, use "Push to talk" instead of voice activation - especially if you're using desktop speakers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, will try the local test.

I think I went and turned those voice system knobs up in preparation to go online. Will check tonite and turn them down again.

Will check out 'Push to Talk' - I had it set to 'Voice Activation' yesterday.

Thanks for the tips!

ViktorViktor
04-23-2007, 01:46 PM
Hi Toad -
I have run this test before and got back the reply that 'the wizard could not complete the test because a voice was not detected'.

I installed a Creative Soundblaster Audigy sound card (in February?) in order to replace my onboard sound (Azalia/SoundMax). Thought I might have botched the installation the first time in Feb, so tried it again last week and took care to uninstall the soundmax drivers and disable Azalia sound (in Bios), then install the Audigy drivers the next time I started my pc. Still couldn't record so I deactivated and uninstalled the Audigy drivers, and reinstalled the onboard sound drivers. I couldn't record with these either. So I uninstalled and deactivated Azalia/SoundMax once more, reinstalled Audigy, and went online anyway.

I can record CDs and MP3 files with my Audigy sound. I hadn't tested the mike with my Audigy until last week, and it didn't work when I tested last week. But I have recorded with the mike under SoundMax, and it went fine - until after I reinstalled SoundMax in order to compare it with Audigy - then it wouldn't record either.

I have a Logitech (cheapo) headset plugged into my generic PC speakers. I have plugged the headset directly into the Audigy soundcard in back of the pc, and tested but still couldn't record this way either.

I've gone into the 'Sound and Audio Devices' menu and taken a look at which devices are checked under Playback Control and Record control. The microphone is not listed under Playback control. Is this OK or should I have it listed there with the Mute box checked on ? Under Record Control the Microphone is listed and in it there is a box checked on called 'Choose' (actually the menus/choices are in Norwegian). There are other devices listed here as well, but none of these have 'Choose' checked. Is this correct ?

P.S. - according to my 'Sound and Audio devices' menu, the only sound option available for recording and playing is the Soundblaster Audigy, so I think I successfully shut down my onboard sound.

I will try the headset with another pc tonite and see if I can record with it. Maybe the headset is bad, and not the sound card.

rnzoli
04-23-2007, 02:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ViktorViktor:
If a coop is more career-ish than DF, then it might be my cup of tea. Have no coop experience so hope coop fliers are patient.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You can bet that co-op pilots are much more patient! They have to be, because there is no Re-fly button, so screwing up a take-off like you described on the DF server is the most stupid thing to do in a co-op mission, because that will put the pilot out of action for the entire mission. So there you can see people asking the AI tower for takeoff and landing clearences very much.

As for career-based flying, I believe online campaigns and online wars are the best, but those also need squadron membership, or at least you need to get a few friends that you can fly with.

BTW, it's okay to fly DF rooms. I just didn't want you to get disillusioned and blame online as a whole. There is much more beyond DF servers, and you will never regret if you explore that one day, too.

MB_Avro_UK
04-23-2007, 05:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rnzoli:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ViktorViktor:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You can bet that co-op pilots are much more patient! They have to be, because there is no Re-fly button, so screwing up a take-off like you described on the DF server is the most stupid thing to do in a co-op mission, because that will put the pilot out of action for the entire mission. So there you can see people asking the AI tower for takeoff and landing clearences very much.

As for career-based flying, I believe online campaigns and online wars are the best, but those also need squadron membership, or at least you need to get a few friends that you can fly with.

BTW, it's okay to fly DF rooms. I just didn't want you to get disillusioned and blame online as a whole. There is much more beyond DF servers, and you will never regret if you explore that one day, too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

After 5 years online my advice is to fly co-ops.

Best Regards,
MB_Avro.

T_O_A_D
04-23-2007, 05:59 PM
Yes please test mic with another PC, if good then commence wrestling with your drivers, and settings.

In the recording properties you should have the mic checked and unmuted.

But my thinking is the wizard does this for you, if it hears your voice. So a functional mic is required.

badatit
04-23-2007, 08:41 PM
Try this.
1)Go to control panel.

2)Open Sounds, Speech, and Audio Devices.

3)Open Advanced Volume Controls.

This should bring up the panel that displays your Playback Volume Controls.

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r289/Badatit/vc1.jpg

You want to look at the Recording Control panel.
To bring it up, look to the upper left hand corner,

4)hit Options...

5)select Properties.

This should bring up a new panel, with Playback selected.
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r289/Badatit/vc2.jpg
(Important: you dont want microphone checked in playback)

6)Put the tickmark in Recording.

Once you have Recording selected,

7)make sure Microphone has a checkmark in it's box.
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r289/Badatit/vc3.jpg

8)Press OK.
Now you should see the Recording Control panel.
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r289/Badatit/vc4.jpg
9)Select Microphone by putting a checkmark in it's lower box.

10)Test

To test, just bring up Sound Recorder.
Start/All Programs/Accessories/Entertainment/Sound Recorder.

Press the record button, speak a line or two into the mike...press the stop button...press the playback button. You should hear what you just recorded.

If not, you may need to go back to the Recording Control Panel, and raise the mike gain. Or, your mike/phone plugs could be in the wrong plug/jacks. Or, you need a new mike.
Before you go and purchase a new mike, post a DXDiag in the help forum, the problem could/may be software/and or driver related.

Once the mike is working proplerly, Open Team Speak.

Up at the top, hit

1)Settings

2)Sound Input/Output Settings

3)Put a tickmark in Push to Talk.

4)Hit the Set button.

5)Press a key (this will be the key/button you use to key up your mike.

6)Enter a TS server ask for a mike check.

five by five = good
your low = not good
we cant hear you = worse

Raise the Output Volume one notch at a time, to everybodies liking.
If you slide it past normal, go back to your Recording Control Panel, and raise the mike output there. Good luck, and congrats on the on-line kill. S'
Bait

ViktorViktor
04-24-2007, 03:46 AM
I checked the microphone out on another computer last night and it is functional.

Creative Audigy has its own Sound Control panel in addition to the standard Microsoft Sound Control panel. I have turned on the button which should synchronise settings on the two, but just to be safe I will uninstall the Creative Sound Control panel tonite and see if that clears up the problem.

Thanx for the control panel pics, Badatit.

Toad, I checked out JO school and see that class registration is closed until June. No alternative to that ? (My time zone is London Standard time plus 1 hour (Oslo, Norway)).

DooDaH2007
04-24-2007, 05:22 AM
Sometimes my mic goes dead too...

What helps me is doing the MSN (chat program) mic install wizard setup under 'extras'...

It then recognises the mic...

T_O_A_D
04-24-2007, 07:14 AM
Good post badit, I wanted to do that, but had no time. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif I just added it to my favorite list so I can direct to it from now on, when needed.

No Viktor that the next available, they just fininshed a BFS and the instructors take a break after each one, its a 3 week class.

Oh I run drivers only with my Audigy, and no Creative fancy addon progs.

Your time zone is usable I went through it with sever UK and even Ausie Cadets.

ViktorViktor
04-24-2007, 02:00 PM
Hi all -
I ended up removing my Soundblaster Soundcard and uninstalled the Audigy drivers. Re-installed and then tested the onboard sound, and to make a long story short, this time I could record .

Will now try out the TS mike advice and then see if I can still be heard thru IL2 afterwards.

Thanks for hanging in there with me, guys !!!
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Ratsack
04-24-2007, 05:36 PM
A quick word in favour of dog fight servers, since you've had a couple about the advantages of cooperative servers.

Firstly, not all DF servers are the same. Some of the full-switch (or near full-switch) servers attract a more serious style of flyer. Others are not much more than air Quake. One of the best mission-based DF servers I've seen is Historia. The play and players are mature, and the missions and map choices are well thought out. Spits vs 109s has its moments, too. It can be very good indeed. Winds of War and Warclouds are also very good. These servers all have fairly well-matched plane sets, quite good missions, and a good spread of players. It is not unusual to see formations of B-25s or He-111s in these servers. In fact, I once performed the classic head-on attack in my Fw 190 A-6 against a ˜box' of six B-25s on Historia. The buggers had escort as well.

Secondly, just because some players in a DF server are being stupid doesn't mean you have to gravitate to the lowest common denominator yourself. If they're taking off across country, let the idiots go, then take off yourself. There is some debate about taking off from taxi ways, with it being verboten in some servers (e.g., Spits vs 109s), and encouraged in others (e.g., Warclouds). The arguments are on the one had that it's patently unrealistic to take off from a taxiway, and on the other hand that it's perfectly sensible to spread the traffic in a context where there is no traffic control, a lot of planes and only one runway. Just go where you're comfortable. In my mind, the most annoying type of behaviour on DF servers that is hardest to avoid is the enemy who will doggedly and mindlessly chase you all the way to your base, regardless of his chances of survival. Stupid, but not the end of the world.

Thirdly, DF servers are great for practicing certain parts of your game. If you want to practice your defensive moves against Spitfires, DF servers will provide that opportunity. If you want to practice your scanning routine, your B & Zing, your tactical appreciation, etc, etc, the DF server lets you do this in a reasonable amount of time.

Fourthly, the DF server lets you decide on the tactical approach you select. You're not governed by the op orders of a Squad or flight commander. You can examine the map and the briefing and then you can decide how best to achieve the goal you want. This certainly suits the lone wolf player more than the team player.

Finally, DF servers are perfect for the quick fix. If you don't have the time (or the inclination) to spend a significant amount of time setting up and playing a coop, the DF fight is quick and dirty. Log in, pick a side, pick an airfield, pick a plane and take off. Done.

So there are advantage to both types of online play. I don't think one is better than the other. They're just different.

cheers,
Ratsack

rnzoli
04-25-2007, 02:41 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">So there are advantage to both types of online play. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Agreed.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I don't think one is better than the other. They're just different. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That not actually true. Co-operative mode has a number of advantages which DF doesn't have at all. For examples:
- always balanced (AI takes empty seats)
- always correct markings (yes, even the veterans can forget the right markings on DF server)

I always giggle a little bit, when I see pictures about "large" (=5-6) bomber formations from a DF server. I don't want to ruin the applaudable effort, but honestly speaking, that's the norm of the day in co-ops - with 15-20 bombers in formations, plus escorts and attack fighters in formation.

Moreover, the "quick and dirty" advantage is not exclusive to the DFs, because in co-op missions, you can air-start from 8000m with P-47 and FW-190s and have a fight within 2 minutes. The highest airstart you can have in DF is 2000m, and then add the time to climb in neutral area, then add the time to look for enemy, then add the time working on your advantages - you are already 10 minutes in combat and nothing happened basically. You could have waited 5 minutes for the co-op mission to start and then have an incredible, unavoidable dogfight in 2 minutes - which was faster? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

To summarize the forum wisdom in this matter:
Offline = having sex with a rubber woman
Online DF = having quick sex with strangers
Online COOP = having sex with the love of your life

Each has it's own advantages of course, depending on your current situation, no doubt about it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

ViktorViktor
04-25-2007, 03:52 AM
Rnzoli wrote
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">To summarize the forum wisdom in this matter:
Offline = having sex with a rubber woman
Online DF = having sex with a *****
Online COOP = having sex with the love of your life
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well I'm all for True Love.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif
I have heard that a big problem with COOPs is that it can take an eternity before enough people sign up before it can start (too much foreplay, in your analogy). True ?

How do we find out about Coops (that is, how do we meet our life's love)? Just from looking at the Hyperlobby 'COOP Missions' box ?

Can there be found a description of what the mission actually is ?

Whirlin_merlin
04-25-2007, 04:08 AM
VV.

Hope your mic thing is sorted, if it helps I find that for some reason I always have to unplug then replug my mic everytime I 'boot up'.

BTW as one of the syndicate behind the UKdedi' servers I have to take some offense (well not much it's only a game after all) at the ***** comment.

There are all sorts of online experince out there, find what suits you best and when you do resist the urge to be all superior to those who prefer something different.

Also you can enjoy it all.

If you come on UK2 (1 or 3) again come into TS, the regulars there are a good bunch and normally well up for abit of teamwork. Massed gaggles of **** bombers are our speciality.

[BFs]Whirlin

alert_1
04-25-2007, 04:18 AM
COOP looks great at firs glance BUT you are figting against very unrealistic AI all the time.
It's like ummm having sex with yourself if you ask me...not neccesarilly bed but definitely not my cup of tea.. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

rnzoli
04-25-2007, 05:22 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Whirlin_merlin:
BTW as one of the syndicate behind the UKdedi' servers I have to take some offense (well not much it's only a game after all) at the ***** comment.
[BFs]Whirlin </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Apologies, Whirlin, I re-edited my post, ***** is removed. UKDed servers cater for a nice variery of online DF play. The problem I was referring to however, is reflected in the frequent "Unban" requests" on your forums. The existence of Refly button inherently makes strange behaviours possible on DF servers, and your high quality admin work can only partly compensate that.

Whirlin_merlin
04-25-2007, 05:31 AM
Don't worry I wasn't being serious.

As to the number of unban posts on the forum, the recent influx of new players has made things interesting. Most are great but unfortunatly a small minority don't seem to get it.

Advice to any new to online.

1) Read the server rules, different servers do things differently.
2) Treat others as you would want to be treated yourself.
3) Get on TS.
4) Team up
5) Have a bucket load of fun!

rnzoli
04-25-2007, 05:32 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alert_1:
BUT you are figting against very unrealistic AI all the time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Only if you are flying the co-op mission alone http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

And let's not start a debate about how "unrealistic" human players can on a DF server can be - the cross-runway takeoff described by VV was just the tip of the iceberg.

BTW, not all players are like this, no way. There are times when DF servers are populated with very concious and helpful players. But again, the existence of Refly button will attract other kind of players to DF, and sooner or later every DF flier will become fluent with the terms "kill stealing", "vulching", "ramming" etc. Which are almost totally absent from co-ops.

Anyhow, each to his own. Variety makes us survive.

rnzoli
04-25-2007, 05:44 AM
Well I'm all for True Love.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
What, your wife is reading the forums, too? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I have heard that a big problem with COOPs is that it can take an eternity before enough people sign up before it can start (too much foreplay, in your analogy). True ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
True, but eternity is an overstatement http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Depends on the host, how many people he is willing to start with, how strongly he enforces launching requests etc. Keep an eye on that slot, who is hosting. Soon you will reqcognize the quality hosts, with good atmosphere and also good ISP connection.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
How do we find out about Coops (that is, how do we meet our life's love)? Just from looking at the Hyperlobby 'COOP Missions' box ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes, that's a good start. There are also other rooms, e.g., Teamplay, or Airforce War or Scorched Earth rooms, which also laucnh co-ops only. So if you see some gathering in them, you might ask if you can join. Make sure you mention your 3+ years of offline advantage, it might help to know that you are flying better than an AI http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Can there be found a description of what the mission actually is ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hosts announce this in advance and you can also ask details from the host. Also more info is in the actual briefing after launching from the slot.

Xiolablu3
04-25-2007, 06:12 AM
Make sure you Make your chat box bigger 5 or 6 lines should do it.

Open chat box and drag corner bigger with the mouse.

Now you can chat and see all the server messages.

You picked a good server to learn on.

Remember externals are are. F2 will show you outside you plane so you can see the runway easily.

F6 will padlock close enemy planes. F7 will padlock close enemy ground.

TALK to people, whether in the chat or teamspeak. People are very freindly on UKded2 and Ukded3, if you have questions ask in the chat or TS.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif