PDA

View Full Version : How I solved all my Myst IV installation problems

volleyeg
10-12-2004, 03:00 PM
Let me start by saying I am a newbie when it comes to computer games. I have technical knowlege of computers but have not bought a pc game until Myst IV. I have a 3 year old dell with combination cd burner/dvd player. I have a Nvidia geforce 2 video card. Here were the problems I experienced:

1. When installing a full install the installation would quit halfway through the second cd. A message would popup asking for Myst_1. When I inserted disk one again it quit out.

2. I then did a minimum install which seemed to make it all the way through until the very end and then I would get an error message.

3. After the minimum install I would try to start the game. A black screen would come up with a white hourglass and then it would quit back to my desktop.

So how did I solve all these problems?....

I noticed that once I inserted the dvd's into my dvd player the myst icon would show up in "my computer". If I tried changing the disk it would not change this icon, even if I gave it enough time to recognize the new dvd. I would have to restart my computer in order to get the cd icon in "my computer" to change.... so....

Solution for no. 1: I inserted disk 2 first, waited for the icon to appear, and then removed it from my computer. I then inserted disk 1 (which never visually appeared in "my computer") and ran the full install. While it was installing the icon in "my computer" still says disk 2. When prompted for disk 2, I removed disk one, inserted disk 2 (like you would install any other program) and let it run. I got no errors, and the full install worked.

Solution for no 3: This blackscreen of death would still come up... so I got to thinking. This version of myst installed the new directx drivers. I know my video card is supported by Myst IV but the drivers did not have support for the latest version of directx. I went onto nvidia's website, downloaded their latest drivers with support for new versions of directx. I installed the drivers, restarted and....

I am no playing Myst IV... no problems yet.

Hope this helps even one person.

volleyeg
10-12-2004, 03:00 PM
Let me start by saying I am a newbie when it comes to computer games. I have technical knowlege of computers but have not bought a pc game until Myst IV. I have a 3 year old dell with combination cd burner/dvd player. I have a Nvidia geforce 2 video card. Here were the problems I experienced:

1. When installing a full install the installation would quit halfway through the second cd. A message would popup asking for Myst_1. When I inserted disk one again it quit out.

2. I then did a minimum install which seemed to make it all the way through until the very end and then I would get an error message.

3. After the minimum install I would try to start the game. A black screen would come up with a white hourglass and then it would quit back to my desktop.

So how did I solve all these problems?....

I noticed that once I inserted the dvd's into my dvd player the myst icon would show up in "my computer". If I tried changing the disk it would not change this icon, even if I gave it enough time to recognize the new dvd. I would have to restart my computer in order to get the cd icon in "my computer" to change.... so....

Solution for no. 1: I inserted disk 2 first, waited for the icon to appear, and then removed it from my computer. I then inserted disk 1 (which never visually appeared in "my computer") and ran the full install. While it was installing the icon in "my computer" still says disk 2. When prompted for disk 2, I removed disk one, inserted disk 2 (like you would install any other program) and let it run. I got no errors, and the full install worked.

Solution for no 3: This blackscreen of death would still come up... so I got to thinking. This version of myst installed the new directx drivers. I know my video card is supported by Myst IV but the drivers did not have support for the latest version of directx. I went onto nvidia's website, downloaded their latest drivers with support for new versions of directx. I installed the drivers, restarted and....

I am no playing Myst IV... no problems yet.

Hope this helps even one person.