PDA

View Full Version : AC2 VS AC1, atmosphere wise.

DiamondBlade_R
01-03-2010, 01:17 PM
I think we, as the core of the AC fanbase and as the ones who are constantly posting here on these forums and keep a close track of everything that's happening in the AC universe can all agree without a doubt in mind that AC2's gameplay is far superior to that of AC1. Still, though, I must say that I feel like AC2 lacks the charm AC1 had to it. Though I can't really pinpoint the reason for it, the fact is that as much as I hated AC1's repeatitive mission structure and gameplay, while playing it I could lose myself comepletely in its world, forgetting that what I was playing was in fact entirely virtual. It was that immense to me.
In AC2 I cannot do that.
I can't bring myself to state where I am as immensed and as deeo in its world as I was in AC1's.

I think it's because it lacks some of the darker atmosphere elements that AC1 was composed of. Everything about AC2, from the character designs and even the choice of color scheme all the way to how the script is written, is so "anti-AC1". It's a shame that the developers at Ubi made such a decicion as to eliminate every single bit of the "gloomy and dark" atmosphere that was present in AC1. It's what made the game what it is to me.

Now, I know many people here may dis me on this, saying that a "gloomy" atmosphere wouldn't fit the renissance era. and those people may or may not be right - I'm no historian therefore I can't really tell. Although, I thing that a game about someone whom entire family has been lost to, deserves to have at least the slightest bit of a "dark" atmosphere to it.

Just bringing my thoughts out there.

DiamondBlade_R
01-03-2010, 01:17 PM
I think we, as the core of the AC fanbase and as the ones who are constantly posting here on these forums and keep a close track of everything that's happening in the AC universe can all agree without a doubt in mind that AC2's gameplay is far superior to that of AC1. Still, though, I must say that I feel like AC2 lacks the charm AC1 had to it. Though I can't really pinpoint the reason for it, the fact is that as much as I hated AC1's repeatitive mission structure and gameplay, while playing it I could lose myself comepletely in its world, forgetting that what I was playing was in fact entirely virtual. It was that immense to me.
In AC2 I cannot do that.
I can't bring myself to state where I am as immensed and as deeo in its world as I was in AC1's.

I think it's because it lacks some of the darker atmosphere elements that AC1 was composed of. Everything about AC2, from the character designs and even the choice of color scheme all the way to how the script is written, is so "anti-AC1". It's a shame that the developers at Ubi made such a decicion as to eliminate every single bit of the "gloomy and dark" atmosphere that was present in AC1. It's what made the game what it is to me.

Now, I know many people here may dis me on this, saying that a "gloomy" atmosphere wouldn't fit the renissance era. and those people may or may not be right - I'm no historian therefore I can't really tell. Although, I thing that a game about someone whom entire family has been lost to, deserves to have at least the slightest bit of a "dark" atmosphere to it.

Just bringing my thoughts out there.

thekyle0
01-03-2010, 01:29 PM
Did you miss the scene where a man was mercilessly stabbed in the gut, and then the neck, for screwing up his job? I think the less immersive feeling comes from you expecting to be immersed. Following the hype of the game can build up your expectations a bit too much and if you get really excited to be immeresed, then you go into the game expecting it and the game isn't able to catch you by surprise and just suck you into the experience. Unless you tend to be a more dark-minded person. Then it might just be that you're more attracted to darker stories and are more apt to be drawn into them. You're right that AC1 was more dark and gloomy than AC2, but AC2 still carries the franchise's "dark side".

dorido
01-03-2010, 01:37 PM
in my opinion i think the major difference in atmosphere was the sense of being an outsider in ac1 compared to being part of the world in ac2. in ac1 you were an assassin whose motives were not understood by the people and most everyone thought the assassins were bad, while in ac2 you had a normal life (altair was raised assassin from birth), was part of noble society, had friends (even amongst the assassins altair was a loner), and,as the musicians imply, was killing for the greater good like zorro so most people liked you for it

i like ac1's atmosphere better because being altair was like the entire world was your obstacle while ezio seemed to have as much skill at manipulating the world around him as the established baddies