PDA

View Full Version : Clean out that Heatsink!

deltorro
01-08-2005, 07:12 PM
Been having some probs with games freezing up on me lately, so instead of just getting mad and throwing stuff, I decided to find out why.

Started off with checking the PC's temperature...so I stuck the thermometer where the sun don't shine. When I saw what the CPU was runnning at, I was suprised I hadn't started a fire. 70 degrees centigrade!!! "Holy ****" I said! Of course, this temp was only a few minutes after an intense run with PF.

So I took her apart and started at the source. Removed the fan from the heatsink and saw that it was so full of dust that I don't think ANY air was actually making it through. Heck, the dust was probably acting like a nice winter jacket and trapping all that heat in there.

So I cleaned out the sink and de-dusted the rest of the inside.

After the surgery was complete, and everything was put back together I checked the temp again.
At idle, a nice 30 degrees cent. and after a few runs of PF, only 40 degrees....not to shabby.

This was about 2 days ago and I haven't had a single freeze, and PF runs better than it ever has.

MORAL: Don't chew gum while playing with C-4, And always keep a clean PC.

deltorro
01-08-2005, 07:12 PM
Been having some probs with games freezing up on me lately, so instead of just getting mad and throwing stuff, I decided to find out why.

Started off with checking the PC's temperature...so I stuck the thermometer where the sun don't shine. When I saw what the CPU was runnning at, I was suprised I hadn't started a fire. 70 degrees centigrade!!! "Holy ****" I said! Of course, this temp was only a few minutes after an intense run with PF.

So I took her apart and started at the source. Removed the fan from the heatsink and saw that it was so full of dust that I don't think ANY air was actually making it through. Heck, the dust was probably acting like a nice winter jacket and trapping all that heat in there.

So I cleaned out the sink and de-dusted the rest of the inside.

After the surgery was complete, and everything was put back together I checked the temp again.
At idle, a nice 30 degrees cent. and after a few runs of PF, only 40 degrees....not to shabby.

This was about 2 days ago and I haven't had a single freeze, and PF runs better than it ever has.

MORAL: Don't chew gum while playing with C-4, And always keep a clean PC.

noshens
01-08-2005, 08:46 PM
i bet you couldve lowered temps by 5 degrees if you put Artic Silver 5 or some other thermal compound on heatsink.

I lowered temps from 55c to 33c idle by putting thermal compound and swapping prescott processor to northwood in my new dell laptop.

Bearcat99
01-08-2005, 11:44 PM
I think that was 70 degrees Celsius.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif which is actually 102 degrees Farenheit I think.

FatBoyHK
01-09-2005, 12:05 AM
yup same here, I started to experience lockup two days before. yesterday I opened the case and check it out, I saw the heatsink fan exhuast on my 6800GT is blocked by dust totally, no air can pass through..... cleared it, no more problem http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

strangely the temperture status in the Nvidia control panel doesn't report any big problem. So, I suggest doing this checkup once every 2 months, no matter what the temperture detector say http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

F4U_Flyer
01-09-2005, 12:12 AM
"So, I suggest doing this checkup once every 2 months,"

Very good suggestion ! Everyone should check the innard's of there computer regularly for dust buildup. Just remember that static electricity will zap your computer deader' n ' a doornail in a heartbeat!!! Make sure you ground one hand to the case before sticking your fingers inside!! Your wallet will thank you!
And no ive never blasted mine but i know it can happen!

deltorro
01-09-2005, 12:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bearcat99:
I think that was 70 degrees Celsius.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif which is actually 102 degrees Farenheit I think. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Celsius and Centrigrade are the same thing...right? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

clint-ruin
01-09-2005, 01:26 AM
Always check your heatsink and fans for dust and kruft every few months. A fan that has to work against dust and grit is being overloaded and will most likely fail well before its time.

On thermal compounds, check dansdata:

http://dansdata.com/goop.htm

Vegimite and toothpaste are just as good as the expensive brands. What you are looking for in a good thermal compound is more to do with its ability to stay viscous over a long period of time - all thermal paste will eventually dry out, get brittle, and start insulating the core rather than conducting heat away from it. some brands live longer than others. It's always a good idea to take a look at how the paste is holding up when you take a look at your fans.

A copper shim is a good investment for Athlons / Athlon XPs without a built in heat spreader too.

The.Mr.Frost
01-09-2005, 01:41 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Celsius and Centrigrade are the same thing...right? Confused <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
No , they're different .
Celsius to Farenheit ; multiply by 1.8 and add 32 .
Farenheit to Celcius ; subtract 32 and divide by 1.8 .
So 10ºC is 50ºF . Fresh water freezes at 0ºC which is 32ºF . 0ºF {17.78ºC} is the freezing point of a typical sample of seawater .

deltorro
01-09-2005, 01:53 AM
That still doesn't explain how CELSIUS and CENTIGRADE are different. I learned celsius and Farenheit were different from Dr. Nye.....the science guy

_1SMV_Pet
01-09-2005, 03:05 AM
Mr. Celsius Anders (1701-1744) has invented CENTIGRADE degrees.

Nubarus
01-09-2005, 03:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The.Mr.Frost:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Celsius and Centrigrade are the same thing...right? Confused <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
No , they're different .
Celsius to Farenheit ; multiply by 1.8 and add 32 .
Farenheit to Celcius ; subtract 32 and divide by 1.8 .
So 10ºC is 50ºF . Fresh water freezes at 0ºC which is 32ºF . 0ºF {17.78ºC} is the freezing point of a typical sample of seawater . <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Celsius and Centigrade is the same.

FI.Spitsfire
01-09-2005, 05:59 AM
lol I had this problem a couple of years ago the computer was turning itself off to protect it... come to think of it... I belive I may need to check it, hasent been opend in months!...

stansdds
01-09-2005, 06:20 AM
How about placing some sort of air filter material over the air intake ports in the case? Or would that also impede air flow to the point of overheating the internals?