PDA

View Full Version : Plane takes off crooked on Aircraft carrier?

delvanis
02-21-2006, 08:37 PM
This Sim is really difficult. I finally got the plane to fire up, released it's chocks and had it at 50% speed and it goes crooked in it's path down the aircraft runway? It veers off to the left and does a nose dive into the ocean. Why is this Sim so hard? I just want to take off. How do you keep the plane from veering left?

delvanis
02-21-2006, 08:37 PM
This Sim is really difficult. I finally got the plane to fire up, released it's chocks and had it at 50% speed and it goes crooked in it's path down the aircraft runway? It veers off to the left and does a nose dive into the ocean. Why is this Sim so hard? I just want to take off. How do you keep the plane from veering left?

Akronnick
02-21-2006, 08:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by delvanis:
This Sim is really difficult. I finally got the plane to fire up, released it's chocks and had it at 50% speed and it goes crooked in it's path down the aircraft runway? It veers off to the left and does a nose dive into the ocean. Why is this Sim so hard? I just want to take off. How do you keep the plane from veering left? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Step1: Lock the tailwheel

Step2: Use rudder during takeoff run

Step3: Crash

Step4: Hit Refly

Step5: Repeat steps 1 through 4 until you can retract the gear before you see the refly button

Another thing to consider is which plane you're flying. If you're new to flying you should start with something gentle in the takeoff roll.

Douglas SBD-3 is a good first choice, then you can move up to F4F series before takling the higher powered crates like the F6F and F4U.

Takeing off from a carrier, especially a stationary carrier is probably the most difficult skill to master in this sim.
They didn't call the F4U the "Ensign Eliminator" for nothing http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blush.gif

Treetop64
02-21-2006, 08:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by delvanis:
This Sim is really difficult. I finally got the plane to fire up, released it's chocks and had it at 50% speed and it goes crooked in it's path down the aircraft runway? It veers off to the left and does a nose dive into the ocean. Why is this Sim so hard? I just want to take off. How do you keep the plane from veering left? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Stick with it, bro! The sim models a lot of the physical forces (torque & gyro effects) that pilots of the real thing had to contend with. Fortunately for all of us, we have the option of hitting the reset button.

Before you'll know it, you'll be zipping around the sky doing your best not to get shot down like the rest of us!

However, since you're just starting, I STRONGLY reccommend that you first try taking off and landing on the terra firma. Carrier ops is a challenge even for the seasoned vets of this game, and if you think taking off on a carrier is hard, try landing on one. After a fight. With a wounded aircraft.

Yeah. Play with the earth first, my young Padawan!

Welcome Aboard! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Gold_Monkey
02-21-2006, 09:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Yeah. Play with the earth first, my young Padawan! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Listen to Treetop, http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Kajun442
02-21-2006, 09:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Posted Feb 21, 9:37 PM

Do you mean 50% throttle? You need to have it at 100% throttle before you release the chocks and follow previous instructions.Don't forget after you take off you gotta land.

Kajun442

Max.Power
02-21-2006, 09:35 PM
When taking off from a static carrier (online).

Lock the tail wheel.

deploy landing flaps.

Give it some rudder into the torque yaw (or P-effect or whatever we're calling it today).

Remove the wheel chocks (which is not realistic but whatever).

Be ready to steer into the Torque yaw with then tail lifts..

Suck the gear up as soon as you leave the deck.

Raise the Flaps one bit at a time until you're flying fast enough at whatever load you're carrying to fly without stalling with a clean airfoil.

elphifou
02-21-2006, 09:48 PM
In addition to all this good advice, joystick settings may be worth considering.
I've had less trouble taking off from a carrier since I entered these values :

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">1. For those who experience difficulties controlling aircraft with the default joystick profile (axis sensitivity curves in the Input menu), we provide sensitivity curves that we found more suitable for most of the modern input devices.
To set up the curves, go to the Input menu under the Hardware Setup in the Main Menu, and adjust the values according the following chart:

Pitch:
0 5 10 17 25 33 43 54 71 100
Roll:
0 3 7 15 25 35 50 66 84 100
Yaw:
0 8 19 29 39 51 62 75 86 100 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you don't find the above suitable, try one of these :

http://www.airwarfare.com/tech/sticks.htm

VW-IceFire
02-21-2006, 09:51 PM
This is because you have a big spinning propeller with a 1500hp or 2000hp engine infront of you. All of that spinning is going to have an effect on how your plane flies...they call this torque or torque effect.

The best thing to do is to lock your tailwheel (set a key) and hold your rudder to counter the torque on takeoff.

This game doesn't do torque all the way. Some aircraft could actually flip themselves on their backs, sometimes killing pilots, or serverely injuring them.

zoinks_
02-21-2006, 11:27 PM
it is very hard at first but one day you will surprise yourself when you realize you can do it. i learned with my fav plane sbd-3. stable and easy to handle. some things to consider:

-pick one easy plane and learn it.
-use rudder trim at take off to counter engine torque.
-lock wheel after trimming rudder.
-still use rudder while taking off(easy to do with rudder pedals, which alot of us use).
-choose 25% fuel and no ammo to lighten plane weight.
-full throttle.
-release wheel chocks(i am applying some rudder at this point)
-let plane roll down carrier deck to pick up speed then apply flaps(all planes have different characteristics - some will only get airborne doing this).
-gear up asap.
-look for 3rd party tutorials. this was the only way i could learn this game at first.

as a noob, i first had to understand all the controls and then how to map them to my keyboard and controllers. the default trim controls are confusing, so map it with less keys(or better yet, a contoller). before leaving the ground, switch to external view and watch the effects these controls have on your plane to learn them. btw, i learned carrier ops before i ever saw land because i am a navy fanboy. took a few days to get airborne and 2 weeks to land on the carrier(100's of firey crashes). then it took me a while to get used to the looong runways on land.

some sbd-3 landing tips:

-throttle 55%.
-gear down.
-set flaps to landing.
-tail hook down.
-check tail wheel is unlocked.
-throttle down to 47% on approach (around 700 ft.) all planes are very different and have their own "sweet spot"...fly slow with control.
-as you get close to carrier deck zoom in view(use gunsight view).
-throttle down to 35% as you get real close.
-learn timing when to cut throttle completely.
-always try to throttle down (keep energy), never up(approaching stall speed) when landing.
-steer plane as little and as slowly as possible when slow and low.

after the massive learning curve the game becomes very fun and addicting. carrier landings are my favorite part of flight. i remember trying to learn this game. the first couple weeks are tough.

Rammjaeger
02-22-2006, 04:04 AM
With respect to takeoff, my simple advice is not to start pulling up the aircraft (= make sure its noise is pointed towards the horizon and not the sky) until you're about 15-20 metres/50-60 feet from the end of the deck. At that point you should start pulling it up as hard as possible while avoiding stall, otherwise the aircraft will drop too low after leaving the deck. Retract gear ASAP and don't switch flaps to 'combat' until you reach about 190 km/h / 120 mph.

Well, I'm not really an expert since I've never managed to take off in a Hellcat with anything more than 6 HVARs loaded on it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

major_setback
02-22-2006, 05:52 AM
A moving carrier is much easier to take off from than one that is still, you get the benefit of the carriers speed added to the planes.
Try the Single Missions, there are training missions for moving and stationary carriers.

If you brake at the same time as using the rudder the brake will act more on one wheel, and turn the plane in the direction you want. Only use it lightly as it slows the plane and will even cause it to tip over forewards.

50% speed is too little, use full throttle, or as near as you can to full whilst still keeping the plane straight. Use 'War Emergency Power' (W) for extra speed on ex. Spitfires.

Use rudder.

RS.Wedge
02-22-2006, 08:18 AM
The other day I had one of my best carrier landings ever. I contribute this near perfect landing to the fact that my ailerons were so damaged that they were not working at all. I had to use rudder the entire flight back to the carrier. Just lining up my F4F-4 with the CV was tough enough but once I got her lined up it went smooth as silk. My plane did not bounce at all once I touched down. I learn something new about this sim everytime I play.

For now on once I get my plane lined up for a landing I'm not touching the stick - I will use rudder and throttle only to set her down.

DoBravery
02-22-2006, 04:20 PM
Look at your initial heading right before throttle up (remember carriers turn). Since it's hard to see, use the rudder to maintain your heading till your off the deck or can see foreward.