PDA

View Full Version : More RAM or something else???

jamesdietz
02-22-2004, 09:05 AM
I currently have an HP Pavilion 701 pc with 768MB RAM which I can upgrade to 1 GB to meet the requirements of the new add-on. Mygamecard( updated, of course) isa128MB NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4600,and recently added a new cooling fan that keeps everything going fine ( genereally) Right now most missions work just fine ,even mirrors work ( except for a few freezes, shutdowns etc.)but if I do large downloaded missions with lots going on frame rate drops dramatically at excellent,or high graphic setting I have specified.My questtion is will the 1Gig solve this problem ...is it all I should do for now?I want to be ready for Aces add-on with no maddening new problems mid mission...

jamesdietz
02-22-2004, 09:05 AM
I currently have an HP Pavilion 701 pc with 768MB RAM which I can upgrade to 1 GB to meet the requirements of the new add-on. Mygamecard( updated, of course) isa128MB NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4600,and recently added a new cooling fan that keeps everything going fine ( genereally) Right now most missions work just fine ,even mirrors work ( except for a few freezes, shutdowns etc.)but if I do large downloaded missions with lots going on frame rate drops dramatically at excellent,or high graphic setting I have specified.My questtion is will the 1Gig solve this problem ...is it all I should do for now?I want to be ready for Aces add-on with no maddening new problems mid mission...

oFZo
02-22-2004, 09:43 AM
ehm, what CPU speed?

-oFZo
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/paul.bryant3/ETSigHolland.gif
Founding member and Offical Keeper of The Herbs of the Eurotrolls.

"I have given you all the seed bearing plants and herbs to use." - The Bible

CO_Eagle_31stFG
02-22-2004, 09:54 AM
HP Pavilion 701

PC WorldBench 4 score of 119, 1.67-GHz Athlon XP 2000+ CPU, 1024MB of DDR-266 SDRAM, Windows XP Home, 120GB hard drive, 16X DVD-ROM drive, 24X/10X/40X CD-RW drive, integrated NVidia NForce 420-D graphics with 32MB of DDR SDRAM, 17-inch HP F70 LCD monitor, integrated sound, Cambridge SoundWorks CSW320 speakers, network adapter, V.90 modem, midsize tower case; Microsoft Works 6.0 and Money 2002, McAfee Antivirus, WordPerfect Office 2002. One-year parts and labor warranty; free, unlimited 24-hour, toll-call tech support.

$2473
800/999-4747
www.hp-at-home.com (http://www.hp-at-home.com)

That should be his specs

If anything seems off it may be the video card and possibly as things progress the processor. Hope you didnt buy that recently, thats not alot of computer for that amt of money

jamesdietz
02-22-2004, 10:24 AM
just put in a Slim Volcano8 cooling fan which on the box says upto2800...whatever that means....

VW-IceFire
02-22-2004, 10:29 AM
Adding extra RAM to take you up from 768mb to 1024mb is not going to help you alot. The big missions should show some imporvement...but across the board the biggest bottleneck are the CPU and the Video Card. The Athlon XP 2000+ is a very respectable CPU...its just a little slower than the latest and greatest. If you have a TI 46800 then you're in pretty good shape...the newer cards are faster but even if you tossed in a 9800XT or a FX5950 you won't see a huge jump in frame rates.

My advice is to stay where you are and focus on maintaining your OS in terms of stability and efficiency. There's lots of helpful guides (www.pcworld.com (http://www.pcworld.com) always has some) on how to tweak Windows XP to do everything you want without using extra memory and resources that could be dedicated to your game.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/sigs/temp_sig1.jpg
The New IL2 Database is Coming Soon!

Maple_Tiger
02-22-2004, 10:54 PM
jamesdietz
You and i have the same VGA card and i also had a 1.67 amd CPU. I also had 512mb of ram.

First upgrade i did was buying two sticks of PC2700 512mb each. Only improvement was loading time. Game play was the same.

I bet your getting some poss's right? Well there is one thing i did that got rid off thoughs poss's.

Click on Start, All programs, Ubi Soft, IL-2 Sturmovik forgotton Battles and then Set up.

Click on Video. Now where it says Settings: change it from Nvidea Geforce3/4 to Custom.

Texture mipmap filter: Use trilinear

Texture Compression: Use S3TC.. this is the key

Leave Dither blank unless your using 16bit color.

You can check Use Vertex Arrays and Polygon Stipple. I dont use Perfect landscape and so i do not need the Stencil Buffer on. That is why i use Polygon Stipple.

For extention i myself have:

Multitexture Checked
Combine Checked
Secondary Color Checked
Vertex Array Extention Checked
Clip Hint? i dont know Checked
Use Palette Checked
Texure Anisotropic Extension Checked
Texture Compress ARB Extenion... This must be checked in order for the S3TC Compression to work.

What i have done here did in fact stop the poss's for me any way.

For FPS improvent.

Go into the Display Properties, click on Settings, Advanced, GeForce Ti 4600 and scroll down to Performance & Quality Settings. For Image settings, slide the bar from Quality all the way to High performance.

With your system i would not use any more then 2x Antialiasing and 2x Anisotropic filtering. This realy eats FPS if you go higher.

Scroll down to Direct3D Settings. Where it says Mipmap detail level, change it to Best Performance.

I wouldn''t go any higher then lets say 1152by864 for your screen resolution. Actualy the game is optimised for 1024by 768.

When your all done you should have no poss's and you should have atleast 10 more FPS.

Capt. 361stMapleTiger.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid78/pd6c878f0006c224805da6c9645408b41/fb291d3e.jpg