PDA

View Full Version : Update my German Engineering History

jayhall0315
06-24-2009, 07:59 AM
Any of you WWII aviation history buffs know why the germans never seem to have developed a nice open canopy for the FW 190s or BF 109s ? (those silly asymmetrical struts of the Bf 109s, look so, well... un German like ).

I dont know if any of you remember that post I made about a month back concerning the critical angle between the center of the crosshairs and the top of the dash board, but with a little sight modfication, seat adjustment and an open clear canopy (with top mirror) I could have turned the FW 190 A8/ A9/ D9 into even more lethal machines and have costed the German Air Ministry nothing more than they were already paying. In game, that critical angle costs many lethal shots when a spit, etc swerves under your blind spot.

jayhall0315
06-24-2009, 07:59 AM
Any of you WWII aviation history buffs know why the germans never seem to have developed a nice open canopy for the FW 190s or BF 109s ? (those silly asymmetrical struts of the Bf 109s, look so, well... un German like ).

I dont know if any of you remember that post I made about a month back concerning the critical angle between the center of the crosshairs and the top of the dash board, but with a little sight modfication, seat adjustment and an open clear canopy (with top mirror) I could have turned the FW 190 A8/ A9/ D9 into even more lethal machines and have costed the German Air Ministry nothing more than they were already paying. In game, that critical angle costs many lethal shots when a spit, etc swerves under your blind spot.

WholeHawg
06-24-2009, 08:13 AM
From what I have read the 190's did have very good visibility for a fighter of that era. I think the representation in the game may not be as accurate due to obvious limitations of you field of view on a computer screen etc.

And as for the limited visibility under the 190 sight that has been discussed ad nauseaum in other threads

I am guessing here but the 109 came out I don't think the kind of Plexiglas molding techniques were readily available to make a bubble canopy like you see later in the war on the 47 or the 51.

In regards to mirrors I have heard stories from Spitfire pilots saying these were of limited utility as the vibration from the engine an wind made it very difficult to see anything in them. I think one pilot said if you saw an enemy in your mirror he was so close that you were pretty much done for.

Freiwillige
06-24-2009, 08:40 AM
The FW-190 had excellent all around vision on of the best in WWII. Also the Fw-190 flew slightly nose down at cruise giving better view over the cowl.

Gammelpreusse
06-24-2009, 09:09 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Freiwillige:
The FW-190 had excellent all around vision on of the best in WWII. Also the Fw-190 flew slightly nose down at cruise giving better view over the cowl. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

the real one, that is, not the stock one in game =)

KG26_Alpha
06-24-2009, 04:04 PM
I think the famous quote is
"half a ring better than the Spitfire"
regarding the forward view.

Also many pilots have recalled the "nose down" attitude of the FW190.

Looking at this rare pic of a Spit and Fw190 side by side the long nose of the Spit v Fw190 nose attitude, for pilots view the 190 is superior, don't forget Spit pilots favour a curved landing approach because of the forwards visibility problem, even today watching them land at Duxford the same technique is used.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/alpha1/erinc1.jpg

Jaws2002
06-24-2009, 05:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jayhall0315:

I dont know if any of you remember that post I made about a month back concerning the critical angle between the center of the crosshairs and the top of the dash board, but with a little sight modfication, seat adjustment and an open clear canopy (with top mirror) I could have turned the FW 190 A8/ A9/ D9 into even more lethal machines and have costed the German Air Ministry nothing more than they were already paying. In game, that critical angle costs many lethal shots when a spit, etc swerves under your blind spot. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's great mod to fix that. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

And BTW. The "bad forward view of the FW-190" is only present in IL-2 FW-190's. Nothing to do with the real thing, just how the modeler of the 190 for this game interpreted the blueprints.