PDA

View Full Version : Hey everybody!

mrsiCkstar
07-04-2007, 02:24 PM
SH3 noob here. I just got the sim and it looks cool, managed to even pass the first naval academy exam with an excellent rating heh.

Well I have a few questions, I haven't had a lot of time to search the forum but I did read the Community Manual thread. Anyway sorry if these have been asked recently.

I just installed the d3d9.dll resolution mod and thanks to that I can now use the sim at my screen's native resolution of 1680x1050. Well my question is this: if I install the GWX add on do I have to re-do the d3d9 mod?

Also another question is does GWX raise the hardware requirements of the sim?

Many thanks in advance! I'll study your excellent Community Manual more in depth tomorrow at work, I promise.

PS: I'm a complete newbie to anything naval (except naval aviation) as I'm more of a flightsim guy... So I would appreciate any pointers anyone might have for me about what kind of realism settings I should use for my first career etc etc... Thanks!

mrsiCkstar
07-04-2007, 02:24 PM
SH3 noob here. I just got the sim and it looks cool, managed to even pass the first naval academy exam with an excellent rating heh.

Well I have a few questions, I haven't had a lot of time to search the forum but I did read the Community Manual thread. Anyway sorry if these have been asked recently.

I just installed the d3d9.dll resolution mod and thanks to that I can now use the sim at my screen's native resolution of 1680x1050. Well my question is this: if I install the GWX add on do I have to re-do the d3d9 mod?

Also another question is does GWX raise the hardware requirements of the sim?

Many thanks in advance! I'll study your excellent Community Manual more in depth tomorrow at work, I promise.

PS: I'm a complete newbie to anything naval (except naval aviation) as I'm more of a flightsim guy... So I would appreciate any pointers anyone might have for me about what kind of realism settings I should use for my first career etc etc... Thanks!

Foehammer-1
07-04-2007, 03:26 PM
Not sure of the first, but yes, GWX does have a lot more system requirement. My Radeon 9000 128MB card and 1 gig on RAM just can't handle it, even tho stock game runs just fine. Also, beware of a quite long loading time both with that and WAC supermods.

Liddabit
07-05-2007, 12:27 AM
out of the mouth of babes! er. noobs!

I'm gonna have to find this resolution mod I was unaware of it :P

mrsiCkstar
07-05-2007, 12:32 AM
Hey Liddabit, this is where I found the resolution mod... I actually came here to the forums to ask if it was possible to change it but fortunately before posting the question I found the Community manual Thread at the top... here's the link http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

http://www.mysh3.info/shiii/index.php/Display_Resolution

Thanks for the reply Foehammer, I'll need to find out a little more about the GWX add-on. My hardware is Athlon 64 3000+ 1.8GHz, 2GB DDR RAM, GeForce 7600 256MB and a SounBlaster soundcard... Stock game runs very smoothly so far... I'll have to see about GWX.

Liddabit
07-05-2007, 02:21 AM
Thanks a bunch for the link http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I have a similier system AMD X2 3200? I think, 2 gig ram, ATI X1900xtx 256. GWX ran very very smoothly for me, but without that resolution upper thingy. GWX is awesome, the only downside is it makes the loadtimes really long, but they give me an excuse to do chores and GWX is worth the load time wait :P

K_Freddie
07-08-2007, 05:03 PM
A leetle info for you girls..
As games have got more graphics intensive (err ->EYE CANDY)... the advent of them super power graphics processor units/cards.
The more 'powerful' the GPU card (Vram included) the better the game works.

The problem with GWX is that it uses a shunt load of images/textures, which, if you notice are all loaded onto the graphics card WHEN the game loads. This is where GWX and other supermods are problematic.
10 minutes later all the textures/etc are loaded, that's if you have enough Video Memory (VRam). Over and above this DX9 requires a lot of Vram for GPU calculations and just you try a 'system key' while this is going on.... You see the problem.

You get the picture .... CTD.
There is a GWX-Lite somewhere.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Starforce3
07-08-2007, 09:08 PM
the main lag I ahve with gwx is if I hit a cargo ship with aircraft crated on board. The planes will explode and burn, and stay on fire even after it sinks, and the fires cause a bit of lag but you need alot of them. The other is using ports, either enemy or friendly, because you get alot of traffic there. There's a fix to give you less though. I have a 3.2ghx with radeon x1600xt 512 meg and 2 gig of regular ram.