PDA

View Full Version : Attention Hosts and Clients RE:Memory problems in PF

crazyivan1970
11-05-2004, 09:30 PM
Greetings all.

Here`s a small fix for memory consumption that occurs in PF.

1) Download file: http://airwarfare.com/Sims/IL2_PF/files/essentials/gc.zip

2) Unzip it into IL2 directory

3) When you start or join server type follwing in the console: f gc.cmd so it will look like this:

>f gc.cmd

It will clear memory structures during game play for server or client.

Cheers!

unclehubert
11-06-2004, 12:19 AM
I'm a newbie...does this apply to a person who is simply joining rooms? If so, where do i find the console to enter the command?

Thanks

crazyivan1970
11-06-2004, 12:35 AM
It`s good thing to have it if you play on the server that doesn`t rotate maps and you play on same map for over 1 hour

Troll2k
11-06-2004, 12:44 AM
Yes you have to do it everytime you enter a game.At least until the patch comes out.

You can enter the console in 2 ways.I think the easiest is shift+tab.Then at the > prompt enter the line.Then press enter and shift+tab to get back to original screen.

You can also enter from the chat window.Open up the chat box(~ key).Then type> and press enter.Then type in the line and press enter.Then press the backspace to remove the > and then exit the chat.

jasonburn
11-06-2004, 02:52 AM
Hi Ivan,

will this tool be usefull for offline playing also?

Thanks.javascript:void(0)

Willey
11-06-2004, 06:29 AM
So we have a memory leak in PF.

Willey
11-06-2004, 06:33 AM
This file just says GC 3 times and repeats it after an hour... so you can also just type GC in console every hour... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Willey
11-06-2004, 06:35 AM
Another hint that just comes to my mind. Open that "rcu" file with notpad and just add this line:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>@f gc.cmd <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
It will automatically run it when the game starts then.

Alexi_Alx_Anova
11-06-2004, 07:25 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Willey:
So we have a memory leak in PF. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I could have told you that before.

Does anyone have an idea what "GC" means to PF?

Alexi

Bolt40
11-06-2004, 07:56 AM
I'll just wait on der patchen dat kommt next veek http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

chn06
11-06-2004, 10:12 AM
Link Not Working!!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif

Willey
11-06-2004, 12:07 PM
If you can't get it there (not dead here):

Open Notepad. Type this:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>GC
GC
GC
timeout 3600000 f gc.cmd
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Save it as gc.cmd in your FB/PF folder, but select "all files" instead of .txt in the dropbox below the filename. Double check that notepad didn't add a .txt behind the .cmd extension.

Sehm
11-06-2004, 01:40 PM
Hello. I'm a complete noob to prop sims (though a very experienced jet pilot). I own Pacific Fighters as a stand alone. How can I play it online? I do not see it on ubi.com or in Hyperlobby. Plz help.

Troll2k
11-06-2004, 02:31 PM
Ubi.com does have Pacific Fighters standalone servers.They are located in the Forgotten Battles section.

Hyperlobby at this time does not natively support the standalone version.However it can be made to work.You have to rename your pf.exe to il2fb.exe.Then you must redirect Hyperlobby to the new path containing the new il2fb.exe.

Be reminded thought that only like versions can play together.So standalone versions can only play with others with the standalone.

Jetenginedr
11-06-2004, 02:45 PM
Just asking again for member above... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Anyone know if this does any good for Singleplayer?

jazman777
11-07-2004, 12:40 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Alexi_Alx_Anova:
Does anyone have an idea what "GC" means to PF?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
"Garbage Collect", in the java world, typically to free up memory explicitly.

Sehm
11-07-2004, 01:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jetenginedr:

Anyone know if this does any good for Singleplayer? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well... Does it? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the help

SlickStick
11-08-2004, 06:25 AM
I'm wondering if this is the main cause of some people's game crashing to desktop lately. Not sure what happens when memory is used up, but I'm betting it can't be good for system stability.

Did anyone start using this fix, that were having crashes to desktop, but now they are not? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Slammin_
11-08-2004, 07:29 AM
This fix doesn't work too well for my server. It does work some if I keep issuing the command (I can see memory being freed up) but once memory use goes over 1 GB, the command does nothing.

By the time my server is at 1GB, things are unplayable, though players have long left because of the stutter - and the server is still showing over 1GB in use. Issuing the command at that point does nothing and the only way to recover the memory is to restart the game.

I'm thinking that if adjust the timer to run the command more often, things might work out, but everytime the command runs results in a pause on the server, so not sure that would be acceptible, even if temporary until the patch sorts this out.

jasonburn
11-08-2004, 07:54 AM
Anyone know if this does any good for Singleplayer?[/QUOTE]

Dont use it for singleplayer missions, i have made some tests and got massive stutters...

crazyivan1970
11-08-2004, 08:36 AM
Hi folks.
This is for MP only. I can`t answer for SP. Slammin, avoid Okinawa map, nothing helps with that one. Other maps seem ok. Problem is, this app kicks in once in hour, if you run outta memory before that... it wont help. So far the most stable map for MP is Midway. Still testing others. Okinawa and couple of others seem to nail memory much faster then others.

Cheers!

Hunter82
11-08-2004, 09:32 AM
as was and still is the case in the Normandy and ardennes maps.

Slammin_
11-08-2004, 01:16 PM
Ah, thanks Crazy and Hunter, this was my first map with PF and I really like Okinawa a lot. Good to know though and I will try another.

S!

Slam

AFJ_Locust
11-08-2004, 06:34 PM
I think Ill wait untill they patch the memory Leak http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

IAFS_Painter
11-09-2004, 09:37 AM
If memory runs out before the command kicks in ... reduce the timeout within the file

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>GC
GC
GC
timeout 2700000 f gc.cmd <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The above should kick in after 45 minutes instead of the 60 minutes of the standard version.

Slammin_
11-10-2004, 07:01 AM
I set it to 2000000 and it seems to be holding up on the Okinawa map for 12 hours without exceeding my memory now.

sunflower1
11-10-2004, 06:33 PM
My PF plays for a while and then does what everyone here is describing as the memory leak. I'm just playing single player and I'm sitting still waiting for a patch, is that what I'm supposed to be doing?

LEXX_Luthor
11-10-2004, 07:11 PM
Yes, that's what we all do, sit and wait in the Pumpkin Patch for the Great Pumpkin. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
11-13-2004, 09:10 AM
yeah, it does seem to work Ok...750 meg instead of 950 Meg.
I used the run at start up setting as well, default timer.

TheGozr
11-13-2004, 12:13 PM
"my server is at 1GB usage?" what are you running in one map to get 1 gb of mem?

Slammin_
11-13-2004, 01:54 PM
When the map is first loaded, memory usage is at about 300 megs. After about 12 hours, memory usage goes up to 1.2 GB. It seems that everytime someone joins, memory usage increases, but when they leave, memory usage doesn't decrease - hence, memory leak.

Bearcat99
11-13-2004, 02:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sehm:
Hello. I'm a complete noob to prop sims (though a very experienced jet pilot). I own Pacific Fighters as a stand alone. How can I play it online? I do not see it on ubi.com or in Hyperlobby. Plz help. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I highly recommend you go on and buy the Forgotten Battles GOLD pack with FB + The AEP. You wont regret it. I know how it is when you hate to spend good hard earned money on a product before you are sure of its quality but this whole line of simms is simply the best there is.

XyZspineZyX
11-14-2004, 06:01 AM
MMM, maybe coincidental on the ISP's part and the installation of the temporary fix but....

Up to installing GC all was fine.
After installation not all seems quite so fine.
After removing GC all seems fine again.
No reports from the ISP about timouts/ connection problems.

This is what happens:
Will have been online for quite a while with no problems but then rebooting and starting HL and playing PF for a while, some three to four hours, my connection will drop out. (OK, fair enough sh*t happens). My router will try to reconnect, actually it goes belly up. The router will shutdown, fire up and try to connect to no avail. The ADSL light will blink orange (no connecion, is orange) a couple of times, then start to blink Green (green is connection made) and orange alternating for a couple of times, then the router will turn itself off, then go through the same situation again.
I power down and turn the router off and wait for a while, turn it back on and boot up my machine....the same thing happens, only this time my LAN disconnects then reconnects, whilst the router goes through the symptoms as described above through. This keeps up for about an hour.
Router blinks orange then blinks orange/ green, powers off restarts - LAN disconnects then reconnects, the process repeating itself over and over.
As mysteriously as it starts , the symptoms stop.

I removed GC and all is as it should be once again.
At the ISP all appears to be fine.
Any thoughts?

AEnderby
11-14-2004, 05:06 PM
I've been incredibly lucky, no problems so far at all, which is suspicious of itself....
Then again, there's 1.5 gig under the hood of this beast.

Raisen

JaBo_HH--Gotcha
11-17-2004, 12:49 AM
@vagueout:

I had similar trouble with my linksys router.
At certain moment the connection to the internet was lost and it couldn't reconnect before I powered it down, closed all Internet-connection-demanding programms, and then powered back on. After the router was ready I opened the Browser (to connect) and everything was fine. Sometimes only a reboot could help.
BUT, I changed my router now and this problem has gone.

I had some serious crashes in conjunction with the FBdemon2, regardless of map played. After more than one hour the machine simply rebooted (not funny) or (recently) froze.
During that occasions I was able to check system-performance and the used memory was 950megs and my temporary-files reached 1,69 GB (best ever....).
Now I changed to FBdemon 1 and the memory consumtion (temporary file) is lot smaller, besides no map has crashed so far (BTW: i am hosting maps for 60 minutes at max...)

TheGozr
11-17-2004, 02:31 AM
RGR

ednavar
11-19-2004, 02:32 PM
I'm running a 3.01m now but I still have the memory problem in MP from time to time. Is the _new exe the proposed solution?

S!