PDA

View Full Version : The cost of compatibility....

Jenny_Lo
10-18-2004, 09:35 AM
From what I gather players using fb+aep+pf will not be compatible with those on the stand-alone pf version. This makes new players have to pay through the nose to get all the disks to be able to play online with the rest of us who will have all 3. No chance am I going to be able to "sell" this idea to my friends now. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif

Am I right or is there going to be a way round this? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Jenny_Lo
10-18-2004, 09:35 AM
From what I gather players using fb+aep+pf will not be compatible with those on the stand-alone pf version. This makes new players have to pay through the nose to get all the disks to be able to play online with the rest of us who will have all 3. No chance am I going to be able to "sell" this idea to my friends now. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif

Am I right or is there going to be a way round this? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Tater-SW-
10-18-2004, 09:45 AM
You can install the dual version. You will have PF alone to play with friends, and FB/AEP/PF to play with others.

Or, they could pony up the $20 to install FB/AEP first, and PF on top of it, then you'd be on the same page. (it's $29 now, I'm sure it will drop whern PF is out)

tater

VW-IceFire
10-18-2004, 09:46 AM
Well pay through the nose is hardly the colorful sentence I would use.

They buy FB Gold for $19.99 (which is what I've seen it Cdn these days) and then PF for the usual price of $39.99 which is cheap for a game. Consider that many games I've bought recently have cost me $59.99 or $69.99 and it makes the full package cheap.

PLUS, consider the content. If they are fans of WWII or aviation in general...200+ flyable aircraft. Around 300+ aircraft total...plus something like 20-25 maps and years worth of potential entertainment possibility. Its well worth the price....if any of them plan to play MMORPG's which cost $10 a month for $120 a year...I know who's coming out ontop of this one and its definately us!

But yes...it is true...AEP+PF is not compatible with PF. For obvious reaspons. What happens when a PF guy tries to load a IL-2 mission. No IL-2...no Moscow map (for instance) and no Panzer IV's to blast away at.

A possible solution for you...is to install two versions. One PF and one PF+AEP. That way your friends can play with you on the straight up PF version and you can play with the rest of us on HyperLobby using the full complete WWII air combat package. Some guys will be doing that...I don't think I will...but anything is possible.

Jenny_Lo
10-18-2004, 10:01 AM
Thanks.
It's not BTW I don't think that this is bad value, just seems it's going to be hard suggesting to people that they need to buy 3 disks to see how great it is in the same virtual sky as the rest of us.
It's fine for us lot, but I have 2 friends that were wanting to try this thing out, I don't know if they'll bother....I'll keep trying and we'll see.

Bearcat99
10-18-2004, 10:22 AM
Its only going to be a problem initially. Believe me.... any simmer worth his joystick once he tries PF will after he picks himself and his jaw up off the floor will run to the store to get the GOLD pack. Jut tell them to get PF.. it will sell itself like IL2,FB, and the AEP.

DuxCorvan
10-18-2004, 11:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bearcat99:
Its only going to be a problem initially. Believe me.... any simmer worth his joystick once he tries PF will after he picks himself and his jaw up off the floor will run to the store to get the GOLD pack. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

To be sincere, I think "any simmer worth his joystick" has the GOLD pack yet. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

VW-IceFire
10-18-2004, 12:21 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see, maybe 6 months from now...a "Strategic Simulations Platinum Pack" or something along those lines that contains FB, AEP, and PF all in one mega bundle. It'll probably sell for $39.99 or less and it'll be an outrageous value for anyone who for some reason missed it so far.

Nonetheless, FB Gold + PF is a great buy. If they start on PF and buy the rest later...that works too. Get them interested and then interested in more!

Daiichidoku
10-18-2004, 12:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
I wouldn't be surprised to see, maybe 6 months from now...a "Strategic Simulations Platinum Pack" or something along those lines that contains FB, AEP, and PF all in one mega bundle. It'll probably sell for $39.99 or less and it'll be an outrageous value for anyone who for some reason missed it so far.

Yes, but not too far ahead in the future from that, BoB will come out, and FB/PF will probably wither and die

Nonetheless, FB Gold + PF is a great buy. If they start on PF and buy the rest later...that works too. Get them interested and then interested in more! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>