PDA

View Full Version : Mac 1.01 patch won't install

ctuel00
11-06-2004, 10:53 PM
The Mac patch for 1.01 says I don't have Myst IV installed -- which is news to me. Have any Mac users gotten this to work? I'm using OS X 10.3.5 (and now 10.3.6).

"Unable to install Myst IV - Revelation: Patch is associated with a product that is not installed on target machine."

maztec
11-07-2004, 01:38 AM
I've heard of one other user who has had this problem. I've received no response on whether or not they ever figured it out. And I haven't seen any reason for why this is happening. The only thing I can think of is that the vpd.properties file is somehow missing.

On the other hand, I have heard from several Mac users who have successfully installed this game.

I would suggest backing up your save files. Uninstalling Myst. Then installing it again. And then trying to run the update. And let us know how that works out?

Maz

GIngkoM
11-07-2004, 11:01 AM
Same problem here on Mac OS 10.3.6. It won't install into any folder, wherever. Is this vpd.properties file necessary to run the game? I kicked it out because it was on the upper level of my boot disk, which is a most rare place for an application to leave a file. it should go into preferences, or better even, into the folder of Myst itself.

billgriffin2004
11-07-2004, 12:28 PM
Greetings,
I've just bought a DVD ROM of Myst IV, and I have an iMac G4 with OS X 10.2.8 plus all the required Ram etc.
Whatever I try, when Disc one has finished installing, I get a message saying "Please insert Disc two", but there is no way I can get the DVD drive to open up and allow me to swap discs. I would love to try playing the game!
Has anyone heard of this problem, and can tell me a fix?

Bill

GIngkoM
11-07-2004, 12:47 PM
Hi BillGriffin2004, your issue is discussed in another thread. Please check elsewhere in the forum.

Gingko M

maztec
11-07-2004, 01:35 PM
bill: wait about 10 minutes then drag it to the trash can.

GingkoM: Yup, it's necessary. The vpd.properties file lets the system know where you installed Myst.. Yah, it's rather odd if you ask me. But apparently that's the way it goes.

GIngkoM
11-07-2004, 02:01 PM
Thanks, Maztec. So I need to re-install everything in order to have a fresh copy of this file? It's a text file with in this case only several lines of code, I suspect. Can't I edit it manually, if the reference to the volume where the app is installed is clear?
I remember this type of issue from installing flightsims on my Mac, where the app was released cross-platform.

Gingko M

maztec
11-07-2004, 02:21 PM
Not sure Gingko. I have no idea what's actually in the file. If it's text based, would love someone to post the contents of it here so I can reference it in the future.

ctuel00
11-07-2004, 02:22 PM
I've got 1.01 now; thanks maztec. The upgrader fails if vpd.properties is missing from your home directory -- however the game runs fine without it.

I had deleted vpd.properties, thinking it was mis-placed by a buggy installer -- and I was right! Some research indicates it's a receipt created by InstallShield. This file belongs somewhere, but DEFINITELY not at the top of my home directory. Hopefully someone at Ubi can report this bug to the InstallShield folks.

Also, hopefully Ubi can create a Knowledge Base article for Mac users, warning not to delete ~/vpd.properties.

ctuel00
11-07-2004, 02:31 PM
The vpd.properties file contains checksums and pathnames for all installed files. Therefore, its contents depend on where you installed Myst IV, whether you did a partial or full install, and if you've installed the patch yet. I wouldn't recommend posting a copy here.

GIngkoM
11-07-2004, 02:33 PM
The game does indeed run withou the vpd. file present, that's the misleading thing. It's a kind of receipt, that's what I also suspected. As Maztec mentioned, please post the contents of this file so Maztec can study it.

Gingko M

GIngkoM
11-07-2004, 02:36 PM
OK, I get the point. Back to re-installing the whole thing. Sigh !

Gingko M