PDA

View Full Version : UCI Engine on CMX

Filipov2007
11-13-2007, 01:59 PM
Hi there. This is my first post in this forum, I have read some of your threads, http://forums.ubi.com/eve/foru...0105752/m/2241096085 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/760105752/m/2241096085). I am not even sure if this is the correct place to send this post.

I have already read in one the threads of the CMX discussions about how to Import a UCI engine into CMX. I just can't get it to work there. It gives the Imported engine a Personality with the rating of zero. As a result the engine does not make a move. I then changed that rating to a bigger number, the personality played the most ridiculous chess I have ever seen http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif What am I doing wrong because I have followed what ebutaljib wrote there? Did somebody ever got such a problem. Thanks in advance.

Filipov2007
11-13-2007, 01:59 PM
Hi there. This is my first post in this forum, I have read some of your threads, http://forums.ubi.com/eve/foru...0105752/m/2241096085 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/760105752/m/2241096085). I am not even sure if this is the correct place to send this post.

I have already read in one the threads of the CMX discussions about how to Import a UCI engine into CMX. I just can't get it to work there. It gives the Imported engine a Personality with the rating of zero. As a result the engine does not make a move. I then changed that rating to a bigger number, the personality played the most ridiculous chess I have ever seen http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif What am I doing wrong because I have followed what ebutaljib wrote there? Did somebody ever got such a problem. Thanks in advance.

Filipov2007
11-14-2007, 12:43 AM
Just came to think of it, I don't remember putting a slash at the end where you specify the path of the Directory, as a result, it doesn't see the directory.

Example EngineDir = C:\Rybka\
I think I might have written something like EngineDir = C:\Rybka

I will try this later when I get home.

Thanks for your help TedSummers

diskamyl
11-14-2007, 09:19 AM
finally, after two years of trying again and giving up (again) from time to time, I managed to make it work! I'm so excited.

there are two possibilities about how it didn't work before and did today:

1)I had done everything exactly the same as suggested, except that I hadn't put the slash at the end of the full path in the ini file. (I had "c:\poly" instead of "c:\poly\"

2)I set the rating of Rybka something other than 0.

thanks a lot, TedSummers!

Tribbes
11-14-2007, 09:37 AM
Hi guys, in my experience, as soon as you edit the personality, to change the 0 rating higher, the personality (Rybka) reverts back to theking350. Check your task mananger and see if the rybka engine is actually running. I could not get the rybka engine running in CMXI. I think the reason has something to do with the path of the ini file (I am running Vista).

diskamyl
11-14-2007, 09:48 AM
Tribbes, you are certainly right!

I played some games with rybka against some CM personalities and I got weird results, the problem is exactly as you have mentioned, as soon as you edit the Rybka personality, it becomes TheKing engine.

That's why people are surprised to have a lot of draws or won games by chessmaster against rybka. a normal Rybka should win 70% against CM.

now, the biggest problem is, if you do not edit the Rybka (and make it a duplicate of the king), it won't play any moves!

god damn, I was so excited. so what now, how do I run Rybka on CM again?

Tribbes
11-14-2007, 10:00 AM
I think the problem is the ini file location. The polyglot.exe which is renamed is launched from out Chessmaster GUI for this reason it does not find the ini which is in the same folder as the renamed polyglot.exe file. If we can figure out which is the current folder is when the engine is launced our problem will be solved. The you just place the ini file (renamed back to original polyglot.ini) in that folder and do not specify it when importing the engine in Chessmaster (engine parameter)

Tribbes
11-14-2007, 02:09 PM
Hi TedSummers, are your running Vista or XP?

Tribbes
11-14-2007, 02:20 PM
I think Vista is causing the Polyglot problems. I cannot make it work for CMX in Vista either, and have done it on Windows XP before.

Tribbes
11-14-2007, 02:31 PM
I don't think so. I think it has something to do with the current working directory. I tested with command prompt - if you are not in the folder that the polyglot.exe is then the ini file is not found and the program exits. I think the same thing happens when running from Chessmaster in Vista.

Tribbes
11-14-2007, 09:56 PM
I have tried that before and did not work for me either.

Tribbes
11-15-2007, 06:32 AM
I found a workaround to the problem. I used an older UCI2WB adapter which works fine. You can download it here:
http://wbec-ridderkerk.nl/html/download/other/v20_uci-wb.zip

Biker1985
11-15-2007, 12:09 PM
On a dual core with this setup rybka plays with an exe on core 0 (@50%) and another exe on core 1 (@49%)

I do also use "winboard_adapter" to play against CMX via opponent on a complete different computer: thus Rybka can use all cores for 100% on computer A and CMX can use the other computer @100% (computer B).

I have basically the same setup like explained her on CMX but like this:

[PolyGlot]

EngineName = Rybka v2.3.1.mp.x32
EngineDir = C:\Rybka\
EngineCommand = Rybka32.exe

Log = false
Ponder = true
CanPonder = true
Resign = true
ResignMove = 3
ResignScore = 900

[Engine]

Hash = 256
OwnBook = false

Playing Style = Very Positional

PS. You have to import your engine via menu and DO NOT enter or modify it again.
It must be rating 0 to work (this is normal for winbourd engines)

Winboard setup "winboard_adaptor.ini":

On computer A (ip-address computer A; example;

remoteip 10.0.0.41

port 16000

[Winboard init params]
feature myname="Winboard adaptor v1.0" sigint=0 sigterm=0 analyze=0 setboard=1
feature colors=0 done=1

On computer B (ip-address computer B; example;

remoteip 10.0.0.42

port 16000

[Winboard init params]
feature myname="Winboard adaptor v1.0" sigint=0 sigterm=0 analyze=0 setboard=1
feature colors=0 done=1

PS.
"Rybkav2.3.1.mp.x32.exe" was renamed in "Rybka32.exe" and "Polyglot.exe" renamed "Rybka.exe"

Filipov2007
11-16-2007, 03:02 AM
Thanks Ted Summers.

I finally got it right. Anyway, I've only tried it on CMX, I'm going to receive my latest version tomorrow.

Is it possible to play CMX against CMXI? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

palmer
11-16-2007, 10:47 AM
I have tried everything to run Ryba in Chessmaster with no result, so I think its not possible.
I am not hopeing that this is solved with the next update, because importing winboard is not a big issue for ubisoft.

diskamyl
11-17-2007, 02:37 AM
finally! I made it work!

use the uci-to-wb adapter in this link:
http://wbec-ridderkerk.nl/html/download.htm

it's so simple that you even do not need to understand German to go through the german read-me file. and that's it, I finally can play against rybka in the awesome CM11 3d boards!

now, there's only one problem. when I run a game between any CM personality and Rybka, rybka consumes almost all the CPU power thus limiting theking engine, and it can get to depth 13 while theking gets stuck in the 6-7 range. any ideas?

edit: OK, I figured out hot to solve my problem. turning the ponder off will make both engines run only at their time, so they won't intervene with each other.

palmer
11-17-2007, 04:28 AM
First of all congrets if it runs on your machine, but please controll if it is not like TedSummers described :

"I tested it on a second machine and was able to reproduce the problem. On my laptop (Pentium M 1.7 XPsp2) it works fine. On my desktop (P4 HT 3.0 Ghz XPsp2) it does not work. Instead it runs a second instance of TheKing, just as you stated above."

It look like it is working not on all machines.

diskamyl
11-17-2007, 09:23 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by palmer:
First of all congrets if it runs on your machine, but please controll if it is not like TedSummers described :

"I tested it on a second machine and was able to reproduce the problem. On my laptop (Pentium M 1.7 XPsp2) it works fine. On my desktop (P4 HT 3.0 Ghz XPsp2) it does not work. Instead it runs a second instance of TheKing, just as you stated above."

It look like it is working not on all machines. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thanks for caution, but I had the mentioned problem with polyglot, but with that older uci2wb program, I have many evidences that the engine is not a copy of theking but is actually rybka. the rybka engine runs in the back and consumes a decent amount of cpu, it plays a significantly better game than CM (like expected), and the thinking lines display is different than any other personality in the CM (it's like "g1-f3" instead of "Nf3", etc.)

woodpusherghd
11-19-2007, 04:13 PM
I've gotten the freeware version of Rybka to run in CMX using Polyglot. It will not run in CMXI using Polyglot but will run using the UCI to Winboard adapter mentioned in diskamyl's previous post.

GottGuy
11-19-2007, 09:08 PM
Would you mind explaining that process? That is using the old uci2win adapter to put Rybka in CMXI? I'm learning German and I still couldn't understand that readme file.

woodpusherghd
11-20-2007, 07:57 AM
Create a folder and place into it the rybka executable and the UCI to Winboard files. I don't know German, but I was able to edit the adapter.init and adapter.rc files with the paths of the Rybka executable file. When importing into CMXI, import adapter.exe as the winboard engine and use adapter.init as the command line parameter. Hope this helps.

diskamyl
11-20-2007, 10:00 AM
1)create a folder named uci2wb in your C directory.

2)put in this folder the adapter.init, adapter.rc and adapter.exe and the original rybka engine. (the exe file) - (which I renamed to rybka23a.exe for simpilicity).
3)rename adapter.init, adapter.rc and adapter.exe to rybka.init, rybka.rc and rybka.exe.
4)open rybka.rc file with notepad, and change the exe file and the directory like this, (you may also want to change the hash size- But when you do, it must be a power of the number 2. like 16,32,64,128,256 etc.) and CARE about the last slash in the full path of the directory, I believe it's important:

# Exe-Name
exe=rybka23a.exe
#
# Directory
dir=c:\uci2wb\

5)open Chessmaster, import winboard engine, in the menu, click BROWSE and select the rybka.exe file (which is the renamed version of adapter.exe, not the original rybka engine), you may also add any chessmaster opening book and turn ponder on, they do not matter.

hope this helps too.

palmer
11-20-2007, 01:02 PM
Thanks for your description. That worked for me too.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

GottGuy
11-21-2007, 01:05 AM
Worked perfectly. Thanks for your help

SSBN617
11-21-2007, 02:43 PM
I have Shredder 11 UCI. Should the above directions work for that engine as well? Also when doing analysis, does the imported engine result in any better results or does the program revert back to king?

diskamyl
11-21-2007, 02:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SSBN617:
I have Shredder 11 UCI. Should the above directions work for that engine as well? Also when doing analysis, does the imported engine result in any better results or does the program revert back to king? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

since shredder11 is a UCI engine, it should work. But you cannot use the imported engine as the "mentor engine", which is theking. at least I don't know any way to do that. You may only edit the mentor engine (e.g make it a variant of theking, like editing any CM personality, but it's a complicated process). the imported engine's evaluation can only be seen in the thinking lines window, which is not suitable for analysis.

Catreva
03-03-2008, 05:22 PM
After I import Winboard using either Polyglot or UCI2WB and trying a few different variations of instructions I've seen I try to run the import engine by selecting it through "setup personality". Oddly the engine always has a rating of 0 and gives the following error message when selected "File is damaged or is not a Chessmaster file." Anyone have any ideas?

R3rr0
03-10-2008, 01:38 PM
Hi to all.

I try the various options suggested here on this post, and I get that Rybka always loose against chessmaster, so probably there are some things that are not be considered... Here's my HO:

1. Chessmaster uses endgame tables that are Only fitted for it, since other engines use nalimov tablebase in .emd format, not J00 or JIG; probably Rybka can't use them.
2. Even the openings book are in different format (.obk are only for chessmaster), so even with the adapter (polyglot or uci2wb) the problem remain.

Anyone have more ideas? Meanwhile I'm constructing the complete five-men tables for CM (... it takes REALLY long time, after 1 day I get 2 gb of the 6 declared), and downloading the equivalent nalimov's tablebases (around 7 gb...). Hope to know much in the next days... or weeks...

ebutaljib
03-10-2008, 01:53 PM
In Chessmaster the opening books and endgame databases are used by GUI, not the engine, so it always works for all engines. Even if the imported engine is not set up right (and it wont make a single move) it will still blitz out the moves from the opening book and then hold.

You can download full 5 men tablebases for Chessmaster with a torrent (http://torrents.thepiratebay.org/4012295/Full_3-4-5_men_tablebases_for_Chessmaster.4012295.TPB.torre nt), but since there are very few seeders it will be quicker if you generate them on your own http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

R3rr0
03-10-2008, 04:08 PM
Thanks ebutaljib, you helped me from wasting time about it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

R3rr0
03-10-2008, 04:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Catreva:
After I import Winboard using either Polyglot or UCI2WB and trying a few different variations of instructions I've seen I try to run the import engine by selecting it through "setup personality". Oddly the engine always has a rating of 0 and gives the following error message when selected "File is damaged or is not a Chessmaster file." Anyone have any ideas? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I set the Elo to 3000, it works... For the error I can't help you, nothing on my machine. Some Users report problems with Vista, try to read about on this post. This is the best I can tell to you.

lreto68
06-13-2008, 04:34 AM
Hi all

I managed to make Rybka work in CM 11, using the UCI to WB Adapter.

By the way, I am using Windows Vista.

However, there are some problems, questions.

- Force Move does not work with the personality using Rybka, except for the openings.
- How can the settings of the personality be changed without getting back to the King Engine?

Regards to all

ebutaljib
06-13-2008, 05:06 AM
All special functions (like force move) is unlikely to work with any imported engine. You can only play against that engine.

No parameters can be changed within the Chessmaster interface. All parameters must be set inside the *.ini file.

lreto68
06-13-2008, 05:57 AM
Thanks for your reply.

There is no .ini file. There is a .init and a .rc file for the adapter I am using.
I suppose, I have to use the .rc file where I could define the playing strength like "Active"?
Would you mind posting some example lines?
Is it something like "oqm = 120" ?

ebutaljib
06-13-2008, 07:43 AM
How did you set up the engine? Surely you had to change one of the files to point the uci2wb adapter to Rybka engine. You have to put the parameters in that file (see example by TedSummers for Polyglot on the first page). I have no ieda how it is done in uci2wb adapter and every engine has its own special parameters.

lreto68
06-13-2008, 08:25 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by diskamyl:

2)put in this folder the adapter.init, adapter.rc and adapter.exe and the original rybka engine. (the exe file) - (which I renamed to rybka23a.exe for simpilicity).
3)rename adapter.init, adapter.rc and adapter.exe to rybka.init, rybka.rc and rybka.exe.
4)open rybka.rc file with notepad, and change the exe file and the directory like this, (you may also want to change the hash size- But when you do, it must be a power of the number 2. like 16,32,64,128,256 etc.) and CARE about the last slash in the full path of the directory, I believe it's important:

# Exe-Name
exe=rybka23a.exe
#
# Directory

5)open Chessmaster, import winboard engine, in the menu, click BROWSE and select the rybka.exe file (which is the renamed version of adapter.exe, not the original rybka engine), you may also add any chessmaster opening book and turn ponder on, they do not matter.

hope this helps too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Basically, this is the post which I used as a manual - thanks for it by the way.

I called the folder "Rybka", but this shouldn't be a problem, because the engine is working.

What I saw in the personality - without being able to change - was that "max. search depth" is set to 20 and "selective search" is set to 6.
Both values seem a bit low in my opinion.

I tested it with four games against CM (King Engine).
The results were a) 0.5 - 0.5 b) 0.5 - 0.5 c) 1 - 0 d) 0 - 1.

I expected a bit more from Rybka.

In the task manager, I have two entries of Rybka32.exe since I am using the multicore engine. Both together take not more than 10 MB of RAM. Seems to be low, too.

In the .rc file of the adapter, it might be possible to set 4 playing styles: Aggressive, Normal, Solid, Positional (if I remember well, I am not in front of my pc right now).

The question would be where to add personality setting lines without messing everything up - is it the .rc file or is it the .init file?

Another thing kind of annoying is that the personality using Rybka has to be recreated in order to "activate" changes. It's not possible to simply alter a winboard personality. The winboard tab in the personality setting is inactive.

ebutaljib
06-13-2008, 09:48 AM
I repeat, do not try to change the personality inside the chessmaster.

Everything (hash, search depth, etc) must be set from one of the files (either .rc or .init).

When you want to change the personality, just modify the .rc or .init file.

I don't think the maximum depth an selective search numbers represent the true values.

diskamyl
07-12-2008, 07:51 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lreto68:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by diskamyl:

# Exe-Name
exe=rybka23a.exe
#
# Directory

hope this helps too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Basically, this is the post which I used as a manual - thanks for it by the way.

I called the folder "Rybka", but this shouldn't be a problem, because the engine is working.

What I saw in the personality - without being able to change - was that "max. search depth" is set to 20 and "selective search" is set to 6.
Both values seem a bit low in my opinion.

I tested it with four games against CM (King Engine).
The results were a) 0.5 - 0.5 b) 0.5 - 0.5 c) 1 - 0 d) 0 - 1.

I expected a bit more from Rybka.

In the task manager, I have two entries of Rybka32.exe since I am using the multicore engine. Both together take not more than 10 MB of RAM. Seems to be low, too.

In the .rc file of the adapter, it might be possible to set 4 playing styles: Aggressive, Normal, Solid, Positional (if I remember well, I am not in front of my pc right now).

The question would be where to add personality setting lines without messing everything up - is it the .rc file or is it the .init file?

Another thing kind of annoying is that the personality using Rybka has to be recreated in order to "activate" changes. It's not possible to simply alter a winboard personality. The winboard tab in the personality setting is inactive. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

if they aren't taking no more than 10 MB of RAM, then you haven't set the hashtable size properly in the RC file. Make it 128, 256 or 512 (basically half of your computer's RAM capacity should be OK).

a) 0.5 - 0.5 b) 0.5 - 0.5 c) 1 - 0 d) 0 - 1.

these results aren't impossible, but they are surprising, I would expect 4-0 from rybka 90% of the time they'd play a 4 game match.

my guess is that you couldn'^t help yourself and sneaked your way into Rybka's personality settings in Chessmaster http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Don't do that, I'm not sure, but I believe it becomes the copy of theking engine as soon as you open the menu, even if you do not change anything.

Dark_wizzie
08-20-2008, 01:13 PM
i can't get rybka to work on cm11!
I downloaded polyglot
but what is the ini file? i see no ini file. is it afile from the example folder? I took one and placed it in my polyglot folder, and i edited the stuff int here and copyied summerted's things in ini file and pasted in there.

ebutaljib
08-20-2008, 02:47 PM
Well I hope you modified the path and filename so that it corresponds to the actual situation on your computer http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Dark_wizzie
08-20-2008, 02:49 PM
ofcourse. it's c driver, rybka and then rybka.exe (which is the renamed exe) and rybka is renamed rybka32.

ebutaljib
08-20-2008, 02:56 PM
If you did everything right and haven't tried to modify the Rybka personality inside the Chessmaster GUI, then I don't know what's wrong.

Dark_wizzie
08-21-2008, 11:26 PM
in c drive there is a folder called rybka.
inside are: cywigin.dll, rybka "configuration settings" which, is, i think, rybka,ini , rybka.exe (aka polyglot_14 renamed) rybka32.exe (rybka renamed).
in the rybka.ini is:
[PolyGlot]

EngineName = Rybka
EngineDir = C:\rybka\rybka.exe
EngineCommand = Rybka32.exe

Log = false
Ponder = true
CanPonder = true
Resign = true
ResignMove = 3
ResignScore = 900

[Engine]

Hash = 256
OwnBook = false
Ponder=on

---
in chessmasster, i selected import winboard engine. then i clicked on rybka.exe (aka polyglot renamed) in parameter i entered rybka.ini
i checked ponder on and use endgame database...
i did not select a book at all.
I pressed ok http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
i never tried to change rybka via chessmaster gui at all. i don't even see rybka.exe open in the task manager.

ebutaljib
08-22-2008, 02:06 AM
There should only be

EngineDir = C:\rybka\

Dark_wizzie
08-22-2008, 09:40 AM
i tried it and i also tried EngineDir = C:\rybkawith and without slash still rybka not open in task manager