PDA

View Full Version : Can someone tell me if?

walsh2509
10-27-2004, 06:47 PM
Can someone tell me if the wheel brakes are on as default as you get ready for take off?

I was sitting last in line on an airfield and I started my engine and as I push the throttle forward to rev-up to 70% I started to roll.

I would have thought starting in the take off position the brakes would have been on as a default and once the power was up you took the brakes off..

1 more on take off , I had easy settings on and I would have thought that with my ship sitting in the middle of the runway ( hands off my control stick ) I would just need to start my engine , push my throttle forward and take my brakes off and I would go tearing up the middle of the runway..

Not so? As soon as I pushed my throttle forward (not touching the (B) to take off my brakes ) and not touching (putting pressure on my stick ) I would have went straight ( easy settings ) and not veered off to the left off the runway and onto the grass?

BSR_RuGGBuTT
10-27-2004, 06:49 PM
You need to map a key to release chocks. That was probably what was holding you in place.

GonzoX
10-27-2004, 06:58 PM
I would suggest either "cntrl B" or "shift B". Whichever one is not taken yet.

walsh2509
10-27-2004, 07:35 PM
"You need to map a key to release chocks. That was probably what was holding you in place"

I was sitting last in line on an airfield and I started my engine and as I push the throttle forward to rev-up to 70% I started to roll.

I would have thought starting in the take off position the brakes would have been on as a default and once the power was up you took the brakes off..

I was not held in place , as soon as I pushed forward on the throttle I started to ROLL

I was not held in place!

I pushed the B button to see if that would stop me but it didn't, I tried this several times. 1 Start Engine (I) Flaps , push throttle forward = I start rolling ? even thought I had not pushed the B button to take my Wheel brakes off..

Next time I tried , 1 (I) then Flaps then Throttle, pushed B = still the same?

So no matter if I pushed the B button or not I would start to roll?

Now if the wheel brakes are on as default I would have had to push the B button to start rolling...

If the wheel brakes are not on as default and I pushed the B button I would not have rolled forward...

I will try your suggestion , on Chocks! I don't think I had any under my wheels if I did even if I had released the "wheel brake" (B) I would not have rolled as the chocks would have stopped me!

thanks for you help!

ps .. do you know why my ship veered to the left and came off the runway? as I said I had the "Easy Setting On" and didn't touch my stick!

Killerwatt1950
10-27-2004, 11:48 PM
Did you make sure your tail wheel was locked?

Athosd
10-28-2004, 09:41 AM
Brakes in FB aren't a toggle - if you aren't pressing the B key (default for brake) then they aren't on.

When starting on a runway - hit the ignition, hold brake, run revs up slightly and then back to idle. Then you can release the brake and wait your turn to take off.

Carrier based aircraft can use 'chocks' a special type of brake added in Pacific Fighters. These do function as a toggle - when they are on you won't go anywhere no matter what. Chocks enable you to get up to full revs before you give the "chocks away" order - allowing the shortest possible take off run (necessary on a carrier deck).
Chocks require a user defined key - these are what the previous posters were referring to.

Cheers

Athos