PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Questions

DJDalton
04-01-2004, 10:29 AM
Firstly, I bought IL2 FB Goldpack. Its version 2.0 Are any patches or downloads necessary?

Secondly, the manual doesn't appear extremely clear to me on "Key Commands". In other words what functions are possible? I have a host of questions, for instance:

Is there a source for me to consult about Key Commands and precisely what action a specific Key Command results in?;

What are the "Jump to Cockpit #1-#10" user defined commands about? I can't seem to get them to work after I assign a Key Command to them;

What planes are equipped with an engine fire extinguisher?;

What are "cowl or armor" flaps? (Key R);

Do "Gunsight Controls" allow for the right side oriented German gunsights to be centered without going to a "gunsight" Key command?;

Can I Lock upon ANY plane I select for the autopilot function or am I committed to my wing. (Who sometimes flys into flak when he shouldn't);

How can I fly straight and level on autopilot. I defined a key command for function "Toggle Level Autopilot" and get an "Autopilot Automation" Notification, but the plane does not fly straight and level?;

Can I Set autopilot for a climb?;

Can I Run film so that the view I select with the various function keys throughout different parts of the film are registered in memory so the next time I run that film I see it with the camera views I selected at various stages of the engagement?;

I have a thousand questions. Can somesome direct me to a source?

I appreciated any advice.

Thanx

DJ

[This message was edited by DJDalton on Thu April 01 2004 at 11:33 AM.]

DJDalton
04-01-2004, 10:29 AM
Firstly, I bought IL2 FB Goldpack. Its version 2.0 Are any patches or downloads necessary?

Secondly, the manual doesn't appear extremely clear to me on "Key Commands". In other words what functions are possible? I have a host of questions, for instance:

Is there a source for me to consult about Key Commands and precisely what action a specific Key Command results in?;

What are the "Jump to Cockpit #1-#10" user defined commands about? I can't seem to get them to work after I assign a Key Command to them;

Do "Gunsight Controls" allow for the right side oriented German gunsights to be centered without going to a "gunsight" Key command?;

Can I Lock upon ANY plane I select for the autopilot function or am I committed to my wing. (Who sometimes flys into flak when he shouldn't);

How can I fly straight and level on autopilot. I defined a key command for function "Toggle Level Autopilot" and get an "Autopilot Automation" Notification, but the plane does not fly straight and level?;

Can I Run film so that the view I select with the various function keys throughout different parts of the film are registered in memory so the next time I run that film I see it with the camera views I selected at various stages of the engagement?;

Thanx

DJ

[This message was edited by DJDalton on Thu April 01 2004 at 11:33 AM.]

El Turo
04-01-2004, 10:47 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DJDalton:

There is a sound-bug fix that some people find helpful when online but it isn't mandatory to play.

You can go into the "controls" section of the interface and scroll through all the key-mapped buttons and see what does what (or reconfigure it to your liking).

You'll have to be in an aicraft with more than one crew position to use this (like the TB-3 for instance)

TB-3 has an extinguisher.

Open them for increased cooling (and vulnerability to damage). Close them for reduced drag.

Do "Gunsight Controls" allow for the right sided oriented German gunsights to be centered without going to a "gunsight" Key command?;

Not sure I follow you on this one.

Can I Locking upon ANY plane I select for the autopilot function or am I committed to my wing. (Who sometimes flys into flak when he shouldn't);

Again, I'm not 100% sure of what you're asking here.

How can I fly straight and level on autopilot. I defined a key command and get an "Autopilot Automation" prompt, but the plane does not fly straight and level?;

If you can, I don't know how.. unless it's part of your waypoint progression to climb

Yes, hit escape in mid flight then select "begin recording".. when you're done recording it will allow you to review the entire flight either "as you saw it" or with manual controls.

You can use the "Find" feature in the forums to ask just about anything you could desire

Thanx

DJ<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Callsign "Turo" in IL2:FB & WWIIOL

JR_Greenhorn
04-01-2004, 10:52 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DJDalton:
Firstly, I bought IL2 FB Goldpack. Its version 2.0 Are any patches or downloads necessary?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>No, not yet. There will be a patch announced in "two weeks" or so, and then that will be the most up-to-date version.
Secondly, the manual doesn't appear extremely clear to me on "Key Commands". In other words what functions are possible?

Is there a source for me to consult about Key Commands and precisely what action a specific Key Command results in?;<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Many of the commands are unassigned. Press "Esc" during a mission and go to the "Controls" option. There you can set your keybindings. Not all commands work with all planes, however.
What planes are equipped with an engine fire extinguisher?;<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The TB3 is for sure; I'm not sure what else is. Most likely only bombers would have this feature.
What are "cowl or armor" flaps? (Key R);<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
These are metal flaps that protect and limit airflow to the radiator of a liquid-cooled plane, or, alternately, they are a series of annular flaps around the cowling of an air cooled radial engine (also applies to annular radiators of some German liquids). Usually these flaps control air into the radiator on liquids or out of the engine compartment on radials. The main function of these flaps is to regulate cooling and drag. Closing the radiator flaps will reduce drag and allow greater speed, but it will often cause your engine to overheat. Generally, you will close the flaps when you need greatest speed, and open them otherwise to keep the engine as cool as possible. Lastly, if you do not have Complex Engine Management switched on, you probably don't need to worry much about any of this.
Do "Gunsight Controls" allow for the right sided oriented German gunsights to be centered without going to a "gunsight" Key command?;<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>No. The Gunsight Controls are for the P-51D (I forget which variant) with the lead-computing gunsight. That is the only plane with that gunsight currently, so the controls should do nothing in other planes. The view adjustment for the Axis and American planes that need it is default: Shift+F1.
Can I Locking upon ANY plane I select for the autopilot function or am I committed to my wing. (Who sometimes flys into flak when he shouldn't);<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm not sure what you mean here. You can give commands to stupid AI wingmen if you are flight commander. Press Tab and see what you can do.
How can I fly straight and level on autopilot. I defined a key command and get an "Autopilot Automation" prompt, but the plane does not fly straight and level?;

Can I Set autopilot for a climb?;<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>For fighters, pretty much all the Autopilot command does is lets the AI fly your plane. It works just like it does for your wingmen, and all other AI-controlled aircraft. When you activated Autopilot, you are giving command of your plane to AI and are along for the ride.
Therefore, this Autopilot does not work like more modern systems may.
I'm not familiar with it, but there may be some kind of Autopilot command associated with bombers.

It sounds like you should learn to use Trim. Trim is using a small tab on each control surface to adjust your plane's flight more precicely than with the stick. Generally, you Trim the plane to achieve straight and level flight for long distances. You can certainly trim the elevators to gradully climb. Proper trimming should allow for hands-off flight. Also, in some planes it is reccomended to try to use trim to escape very high speed dives. Finally, not all planes have trim for all contorl axis.
Can I Run film so that the view I select with the various function keys throughout different parts of the film are registered in memory so the next time I run that film I see it with the camera views I selected at various stages of the engagement?;<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Your tracks should play that way if you leave Manual View Control off when you start the track. You can also set up tracks to play back in black and white. There is a lot to be done with track playback. Ask around some more if you are interested.
I have a thousand questions. Can somesome direct me to a source?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Check the Sturmovik Essentials sticky thread at the top of the page. Don't be afraid to keep asking questions here; we like to help!

dbdynsty25
04-01-2004, 10:52 AM
Ahh, so if you buy the gold pack, there isn't any patching required to play online?

lil_labbit
04-01-2004, 10:54 AM
There should be a big manual on CD no 2 http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Cockpit jump is for a bomber (pilot, board gunners and bombardier) so you can jump to a location at once and not cycle (C key) to it.

Cowl flaps decrease speed but more important they cool the engine when used.

Shift-F1 will center the crosshairs on your "HUD".

You can only use your own plane's autopilot.
But you CAN give an AI wingman commands like break left/right etc.

Autopilot automation is when you switch to a boardgunner - the autopilot will take over, if you then set it off and switch to pilot position again - the boardgunner wont shoot anymore (since autopilot automation is off).
Fighters no longer have autopilot level automation - only bombers have. Autopilots only follow waypoints (if set) they fly straight and level otherwise.

If you define a key for quick record - and then press that key when in-game a nettrack recording will start... press again to stop.
You can play those nettracks back, changing views etc. &lt;and&gt; record em on playback... you will get a new "mini" nettrack with the views you selected. By using FRAPS you can then make movies (see www.fraps.com (http://www.fraps.com)) and use normal software to edit those. You can also BETTER MAKE A NTRK recording and take pics in playback then taking screenshots online...

Hope I didn't miss anything http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

It seems most sites are down at this point like
www.mudmovers.com (http://www.mudmovers.com)
and
http://webpages.charter.net/Stick_Fiend/FYL/FYLindex.htm

A backup of mudmovers can be found at the internet archive (it has very much info) just remember its a backup and has not all files/downloads etc.

http://web.archive.org/web/20030312003830/http://www.mudmovers.com/

And No you dont have to patch (yet http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif) Gold pack is FBV1.0 + EAP makes FBV2.0

http://members.home.nl/lil.labbit/lilseesya.jpg
Night is better than Day

JR_Greenhorn
04-01-2004, 11:00 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dbdynsty25:
Ahh, so if you buy the gold pack, there isn't any patching required to play online?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Goldpack or AEP, as long as you have version 2.0 on your startup screen, you are running the most current version. When the next patch is announced, that will be the most current.
In any case, whether you have the most current version or not, you have to find an online game that is running the same version as you are. Folks that don't yet have the AEP will likely have v1.22. They can still play online if the find a server that supports that version.

dbdynsty25
04-01-2004, 11:03 AM
Gotcha thanks...

I bought the IL2 FB that came with the AEP so I assume 2.0.

DJDalton
04-01-2004, 12:55 PM
Want to thank Butcher, Greenhorn and Labbit for the help. I'll take your advice and check the Disc for a more expansive explanation.

I love this game. I've been flying Fighter Ace for years, but this exceeds it by leaps and bounds.

I discovered the "Skins" and have downloaded fifty of them...lol

I've seen the movie "Requiem" and want to learn the camera functions to attempt a movie of my own. All playback in the game has to be be jumped to different angles by use of the function keys. I suppose I need to utilize a "movie maker" program to get what i desire.

I was wondering why my Bf-109 had its engine go bad on me. I heard the horrible whine and was getting an "overheat" prompt, but I didn't know I had to open the radiator flaps. I probably closed them accidentally.

In Fighter Ace you can consult a damage screen. It does not sound like the same is possible in IL2.

I've figured out trim. I thought there was an autopilot function. Its listed under "Miscellaneous Controls" and is designated "Toggle Level Autopilot"....(User Defined) can't get it to work.

I have another question. I engaged the methanol or whatever is in the 109G-14 and the engine went bad almost immediately. Are there altitude requirements for the use of enhanced performance injections that I am not aware of?...
Later: I found part of an answer in the Disc 2 "Read Me" file. The forum won't allow me to cut and paste it for some reason...but If I understand this correctly...you set your WEP to "On" at takeoff before you increase RPMS...It is only utilized when the throttle is 100% or more. If it is not set to "On" it will not be injected when the throttle is increased to 110%. Does that sound accurate? I don't fully understand the engine idling part. Obviously when its injected at throttle of 110% the engine is not at idle.

The effect of the Mk-108 is finally accurately modeled in a game. I love it.

I also love how much more accurately modeled the planes appear to be than FA. The 109's sing in the dive and climb game as they did back then. The speeds the planes were capable of are right on the mark from everything I've read and I've read alot...lol

Its just too kewl. I hope one day they can open up a server that can get 200 people in that would be the icing on the cake.

Thanks Guys, I'll come up with plenty of other questions...lol

DJ

[This message was edited by DJDalton on Thu April 01 2004 at 12:15 PM.]

lil_labbit
04-01-2004, 01:05 PM
The Bf109 like most german planes has an auto-management system. If you put it on manual it is VERY and i mean VERY likely you'll blow it up in a few seconds http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif if you do - first rev down and make shure prop has right pitch too http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Night is better than Day

Troll2k
04-01-2004, 01:07 PM
There is a beta sound dll file for d/l to fix timeout problems with online play.Other than that you are good to go.As far as I know the autopilot is for bombers only.

DJDalton
04-01-2004, 01:31 PM
Labbit you answered everything for now...including the movie questions..just didn't read your answer carefully enough through the first time.

Thanx

oh..one more ..why can't I cut a piece of text from another source and paste it here in my message post. I'm getting an error that says. "Body of Message is a mandatory field"

DJ

bird_brain
04-01-2004, 04:44 PM
Probably the font is a different size or style and the board can only take 1 type.

http://hstrial-jyarbrough.homestead.com/Jug.jpg

"Go in close, and then when you think you are too close, go on in closer."
Major Tommy McGuire, USAAF ~ 38 victories in the PTO

lil_labbit
04-01-2004, 04:48 PM
Labbit you answered everything for now...including the movie questions..just didn't read your answer carefully enough through the first time.

Thanx

oh..one more ..why can't I cut a piece of text from another source and paste it here in my message post. I'm getting an error that says. "Body of Message is a mandatory field"

DJ<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had that too today - never had it before.
Normally cut-and past (select text - Ctrl-Ins then goto where you want it and Shift-Ins works http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif try using notepad as a go-between maybe that works http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

OOOH and movies....
http://pauke.ee.ethz.ch:8732/oberstguncam/Frameset/index.htm WILEY IS UP AGAIN http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Night is better than Day