PDA

View Full Version : Can you spot a liar?

Airmail109
08-15-2010, 05:47 PM
Anyone else good at picking up on lies, just through gut reaction that then end up being proven to be lies?

A couple of very close friends mentioned today that I have an uncanny ability to do it, this is hard to explain but this makes things hard as over the past couple of years the more I've learned to trust that instinct the less time I have for a lot of people. I'm actually beginning to see it as a curse.

Airmail109
08-15-2010, 05:47 PM
Anyone else good at picking up on lies, just through gut reaction that then end up being proven to be lies?

A couple of very close friends mentioned today that I have an uncanny ability to do it, this is hard to explain but this makes things hard as over the past couple of years the more I've learned to trust that instinct the less time I have for a lot of people. I'm actually beginning to see it as a curse.

ploughman
08-15-2010, 06:11 PM
One day this power will cost you the love of your life because she has a scouse accent and you initially find her shifty. Clearly the gods are setting you up, but when stuff goes totally Greek you can always stay at mine.

***edit***
In a totally non-gay way.

Pirschjaeger
08-15-2010, 07:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aimail101:

A couple of very close friends ....... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Depends how you define lies. Sometimes conflicting information appears to be lies.......

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aimail101 in another thread:
2) Completely incompetent when it comes to building lasting relationships of any form. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

....... when it is merely mood swings or a change of opinion.

I immediately call people out on their words so those who know me know not to lie. Those who don't know me and lie are simply following innate human survival instincts.

Badsight-
08-15-2010, 09:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ploughman:
One day this power will cost you the love of your life because she has a scouse accent and you initially find her shifty. Clearly the gods are setting you up, but when stuff goes totally Greek you can always stay at mine.

***edit***
In a totally non-gay way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>i lol'ed how you got the edit there

as if reading after submitting you went "hmmmm"

WTE_Galway
08-15-2010, 11:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aimail101:

A couple of very close friends mentioned today that I have an uncanny ability to do it, this is hard to explain but this makes things hard as over the past couple of years the more I've learned to trust that instinct the less time I have for a lot of people. I'm actually beginning to see it as a curse. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Blessed are the Ignorant for they shalt be happy and contented in their delusions http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

BillSwagger
08-16-2010, 12:11 AM
In a world full of abstractions, it seems easier to focus on if something is true than proving its a lie.

http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww99/billswagger/Untitled-1copy.jpg
Bill

LEBillfish
08-16-2010, 08:17 AM
Just a thought for you to consider Airmail...

Though it is important to learn whether a person is generally honest or not if you're beginning to have more and more interactions with them that can or will affect you (love relationship, friend, employee).......For the most part and for most people in your life it doesn't matter if someone is telling the truth or lying.

Unless the lie will affect your life, it doesn't really matter, and the only time lies that won't affect your life will matter is when you need to form a deep trust with the person because of consistant interactions you will be having as initially said.

IOW.....99.9999% of the lies you'll hear and those that tell them will not matter one iota. SO it's best simply to learn not to sweat it....

K2

raaaid
08-16-2010, 08:48 AM
as a kid i had an amzing intuition, never failed

now as an adult i tried cannabis and my intuition tells me the world is staged

well so said sexspear

Choctaw111
08-16-2010, 09:32 AM
Usually I can a person in a lie, but not always.
A person's demeanor changes when they lie.

Urufu_Shinjiro
08-16-2010, 11:07 AM
I have a friend who used to date a girl who was a CIA interrogator, I didn't know him at the time but the stories he tells are hilarious (though only in retrospect to him, lol). Now you guys know, when you're in a relationship and you're not lying to her about something then it won't last long, lol, well imagine being in a relationship with a government trained human lie detector! He would tell how he would go out to the bar with his coworkers after work and when he got home she would be all "where have you been" and if he tried to say that he had to work late or gave a coworker a ride home she'd look him dead in the eye and say "LIAR!", lol! I shudder just thinking about it, lol!

Von_Rat
08-16-2010, 11:37 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LEBillfish:
Just a thought for you to consider Airmail...

Though it is important to learn whether a person is generally honest or not if you're beginning to have more and more interactions with them that can or will affect you (love relationship, friend, employee).......For the most part and for most people in your life it doesn't matter if someone is telling the truth or lying.

Unless the lie will affect your life, it doesn't really matter, and the only time lies that won't affect your life will matter is when you need to form a deep trust with the person because of consistant interactions you will be having as initially said.

IOW.....99.9999% of the lies you'll hear and those that tell them will not matter one iota. SO it's best simply to learn not to sweat it....

K2 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ive found this to be very true.

ive know alot of bs'ers in my time. sometimes people, (usually younger ones) ask me how i can stand listening to someones bs.

i reply pretty much as billifish did. their bs doesn't effect my life at all, so i don't care.

besides that, constantly calling people out on their lies can be stressful, not to mention dangerous. growing up in chicago, i learned real quick it can be a big mistake to call a cop or a gang leader a liar to their face.

BillSwagger
08-16-2010, 05:16 PM
I think its easier to not trust people because trusting someone requires effort, and vulnerability.
OTOH, its far easier to trust someone if you can tell when they are lying.

There are different theories on how to detect lies, but i really think it depends on the psychology of the person because their tells give them away. Some people even have tells that make them look like they are lying, when they are actually telling the truth. This is normally something that is purposefully done, like in a game of poker.

I've learned the more intimate you are with someone, then obviously more tells reveal themselves, even the non-visual ones, such as when hugging or kissing someone in the dark.

Its not something to obsess about, either. when you walk down the street you don't freeze up when you come to a manhole cover and wonder if it will actually hold when you step on it, but if i saw other people stepping on them and falling in, then i couldn't be dumb enough to chance it.

Bill

WTE_Galway
08-16-2010, 05:18 PM
Its not as if lies per se are necessarily bad anyway.

For example:
- "Well I had to tell the nasty Gestapo man where the children were hiding as telling lies would be bad".
- "Well I couldn't let her have delusions that her dead father was actually a decent honest person that would be telling lies"
- "I know the party for mum was meant to be a surprise but when she asked me if people had something planned what was I supposed to do ? Lie ? "

Most lies have selfish motives but the act in itself is neither good nor bad. it just is.

DuxCorvan
08-17-2010, 01:31 PM
If nobody lied at all, then there would be no marriages nor friendships, and families would soon disintegrate. Even if we are good and honest people, we're all far worse than we'd like to be, and more or less wear a mask of good intentions before our real desires, attitudes or wishes. Any event we live is conveniently twisted as we tell it, so we look a bit better in other's eyes, and even in our own eyes. Fights for a spilled beer become fights to defend some girl's honor; we never run in cowardice, but to get help; I was not looking at that girl's booty... I was just staring at the void, thinking how much I love you, dear. And the funny, wild anecdote happened to me, yes, but the blue pill is for my friend, who's got an erection problem. No, er, I don't think you know him.

Airmail109
08-18-2010, 06:55 PM
Good points, especially Billfish.

I still don't get some lies though, why tell them when you don't have to. I've just caught my other half out on one, I'd asked if she was about last weekend she said that she needed to see her dad on the Friday then on a day trip kayaking the Saturday. Turns out she was in Wales on a trip from Friday till Sunday.

I don't get people at all. Now I'm wondering whether to let the young male testosterone get the better of me and tell her to....go away for a while or ignore it. Just asking why will probably provoke an argument.

*Bangs head against wall repeatedly*

DuxCorvan
08-19-2010, 09:29 AM
I've just caught my other half out on one... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You lied yourself from the waist down to above waist? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Urufu_Shinjiro
08-19-2010, 04:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aimail101: Just asking why will probably provoke an argument.

*Bangs head against wall repeatedly* </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, if it's going to cause an argument anyway, ask the real question, "Whats the name of the bloke you went to Wales with?"...

major_setback
08-22-2010, 05:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ploughman:

***edit***
In a totally non-gay way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Liar!!

major_setback
08-22-2010, 06:00 AM

I still don't get some lies though, why tell them when you don't have to. I've just caught my other half out on one, I'd asked if she was about last weekend she said that she needed to see her dad on the Friday then on a day trip kayaking the Saturday. Turns out she was in Wales on a trip from Friday till Sunday.

I don't get people at all. Now I'm wondering whether to let the young male testosterone get the better of me and tell her to....go away for a while or ignore it. Just asking why will probably provoke an argument.

Bring it to a head and ask her now, or it will bother you every time a similar situation occurs in future...and it will make you more suspicious if you don't.
You are asking for trouble if you don't.

Airmail109
08-22-2010, 07:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by major_setback:

Bring it to a head and ask her now, or it will bother you every time a similar situation occurs in future...and it will make you more suspicious if you don't.
You are asking for trouble if you don't. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No point, just made me realize how much I miss my college sweetheart. Can't be bothered with that. Her loss.