PDA

View Full Version : Assassin Creed's largest flaw



Hatakare
01-03-2009, 03:30 PM
Why exactly is it that Altair and the rest of the assassins are so light skinned? They're egyptian aren't they? Egyptians are pretty dark. Also, the crusaders would have to be somewhat tanned aswell due to the heat. I can understand if Altair's relative is white but other than that, the story is pretty inaccurate. I hope that they fix this in assassin's creed 2.

Hatakare
01-03-2009, 03:30 PM
Why exactly is it that Altair and the rest of the assassins are so light skinned? They're egyptian aren't they? Egyptians are pretty dark. Also, the crusaders would have to be somewhat tanned aswell due to the heat. I can understand if Altair's relative is white but other than that, the story is pretty inaccurate. I hope that they fix this in assassin's creed 2.

ThePheonix1030
01-03-2009, 03:43 PM
They're not Egyptian. @_@

Hatakare
01-03-2009, 03:51 PM
What are they then?

caswallawn_2k7
01-03-2009, 04:02 PM
midle east and alot of the gaurds and things are also turkish, french and a few other nationalities since the crusades involved a few countries.

Hatakare
01-03-2009, 04:08 PM
That doesn't change much, since middle eastern people still aren't light skinned. Infact, some southern asians are extremely dark. You have to understand, this supposedly took place in 1000 AD right? Well Europe was uninhabbited until 2000 BC. Therefore the afrikans who migrated there wouldn't have lightened that much in complexion. Though they would be significantly lighter than afrikans, they still wouldn't be what we consider white today. If I understand correctly, Altair could have been anywhere from Turkish to Northern Afrikan.

I'd also like to add that Turks aren't considered white by current standards.

caswallawn_2k7
01-03-2009, 04:18 PM
stonehenge in the UK is thought to have been built arounf 2500BC now asuming they managed to cross the water from mainland europe to Ebgland back then in over 3500 years there would be alot of differance between people.

people evolved all over the world not just in one place then sudenly decided to move out. human history of even america goes back thousands of years BC and thats a long way to go with a raft.

Hatakare
01-03-2009, 04:20 PM
Don't deviate from the topic. Also, where do you get your facts from? Can you be certain that it's not just an exageration of sorts? You can't beleive everything you hear ya know. Almost every picture of jesus portrays him as a white man with brown hair. That is not physically possible according to the bible's settings, yet it is widely accepted as fact. Now I'm not saying that jesus did or did not exist, but he if did then he would be considerably dark skinned. A lot of historical events are fudged before being released to the public.

caswallawn_2k7
01-03-2009, 04:25 PM
I'm not you said europe wasnt populated till 2000BC so I gave you a structure that pre dates what you state meaning that your entire statement of every1 having dark skin as not being long from africa is wrong.

dont bring up history if you dont want to defend your comments.

Hatakare
01-03-2009, 04:30 PM
No, you said it was "thought" to predate that. On another note, Afrikans traveled to America before traveling to europe. Or wrather, they traveled through europe to america and some stayed back in northern europe. The people who stayed back then began to populate all of europe. That is what I refering to.

caswallawn_2k7
01-03-2009, 04:37 PM
link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worthing#Stone_age) not the most reliable of sorces but that prety much sums up the area in the UK around stone henge and it is dating the flint mines to around 4500BC. history is a funny thing as unless you have witnessd it recently you cant proove when or were it acctualy happend.

all through history there are hundreds of mistakes also the apearance of jeasus wasnt actualy wrote till sevral hundred years after he was dead. the bible is the least acurate form of history in the world as thier are hundreds of versions of it sevral of them pre dating the now common roman made bible.

FYTJ
01-03-2009, 04:41 PM
Alta´r is from Syria (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syria) and Syrians are known to be pretty fair skinned.

If you consider skin colour to be "the biggest flaw in the game", you clearly do not understand a lot about games. (And about geography. >_< )

Hatakare
01-03-2009, 04:43 PM
Yes, I am fully aware of the fact that the new testament was written hundreds of year after the eledged events. But on another note, I said that the afrikans traveled to america through europe didn't I? there was a strip of land connecting the two contanents. Now you see, if the endoeuropeans were living near there, it's quite possible for them to have built stonehenge. Anyway, could be get back on topic?

Hatakare
01-03-2009, 04:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FYTJ:
Alta´r is from Syria (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syria) and Syrians are known to be pretty fair skinned.

If you consider skin colour to be "the biggest flaw in the game", you clearly do not understand a lot about games. (And about geography. &gt;_&lt; ) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I meant a historical flaw, since the game is supposedly historically accurate.

FYTJ
01-03-2009, 04:57 PM
It is historically accurate. Just look at the current president of Syria Bashar al-Assad and his wife.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3d/Bashar_and_Asma_al-Assad.jpg/746px-Bashar_and_Asma_al-Assad.jpg
If you think all "Arabs" look the same you're mistaken.

Hatakare
01-03-2009, 05:01 PM
Gah, you don't understand. Humans mutate just the same as polarbears did. Over thousands of years, people changed depending on where they were living. You have to understand that Syrians didn't always look like that. More importantly, everyone is mixed nowadays, how can you be certain that they are 100% syrian? And let's say that you're right, would that explain why there are so many other light skinned people throughout the land?

FYTJ
01-03-2009, 05:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hatakare:
And let's say that you're right, would that explain why there are so many other light skinned people throughout the land? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Duh. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif
Also, what you're doing is not criticizing the historical accuracy of a game anymore. It's nitpicking.

BTOG46
01-03-2009, 05:22 PM
http://img396.imageshack.us/img396/5734/10539641185077248giveadeq4.gif

http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/3175/donotfeedthetrollui5.png

RedSpider
01-07-2009, 06:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FYTJ:
Alta´r is from Syria (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syria) and Syrians are known to be pretty fair skinned.) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
How do u know that he is form Syria? was just curious cus in the booklet it says his origins are unknown...
Since this post hasn't been locked yet, i thought i might say something. If u look at people in the middle east, they are pretty light skinned. They are more of a kurdish colour than anything. I think the skin colour is quite accurate. If u look at israel now, u can see that they are almost white. And since nobody knows 100% where Altair is from, we can't argue about his colour. He might not be from the area, perhaps he had european ancestors or one of his parents was white. We don't know so there wasn't really a point in starting this debate because history is endless, and you can either spend ur days worrying about something as superficial as his skin colour, or u can enjoy the game and acceot that there are many answers to ur question!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

griffinyte
01-12-2009, 11:01 AM
lol You guys are talking like he is a real person, I mean come on. "perhaps he had european ancestors or one of his parents was white" No, no, NO! He... is... a... game.. character.... They can do wahtever thye want. They dont need reasons why he's white, they wrote it and thats how they like it. End of discussion.

ScytheOfGrim
01-12-2009, 11:17 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedSpider:
How do u know that he is form Syria? was just curious cus in the booklet it says his origins are unknown...
Since this post hasn't been locked yet, i thought i might say something. If u look at people in the middle east, they are pretty light skinned. They are more of a kurdish colour than anything. I think the skin colour is quite accurate. If u look at israel now, u can see that they are almost white. And since nobody knows 100% where Altair is from, we can't argue about his colour. He might not be from the area, perhaps he had european ancestors or one of his parents was white. We don't know so there wasn't really a point in starting this debate because history is endless, and you can either spend ur days worrying about something as superficial as his skin colour, or u can enjoy the game and acceot that there are many answers to ur question!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There was an interview with Jade Raymond from way back when, right when the game was first being shown, and she said that he was Syrian (or partially Syrian).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by griffinyte:
lol You guys are talking like he is a real person, I mean come on. "perhaps he had european ancestors or one of his parents was white" No, no, NO! He... is... a... game.. character.... They can do wahtever thye want. They dont need reasons why he's white, they wrote it and thats how they like it. End of discussion. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not a matter of them doing what they want, it's a matter of them doing things that make sense.

If Altair looked like a Chinese, you wouldn't be like, "Ah, well. That's what they said so it must be true!"
Let's not blindly believe what we are given.
Why shouldn't we question everything?

A good point to mention is Altair's voice.
Wow, you have no idea how much people disliked it just because he sounded American.

Whether he's real or not, nobody can just stick a backstory that makes no sense whatsoever onto him. Why are you satisfied with the bare minimum?
If all people were like that, then, chances are, you wouldn't have so many flavors of ice-cream.

ELMIKE2K9
01-24-2009, 01:31 PM
Unless anyone on here can produce pictures of what people in this part of the world looked like during that time period, I don't think you can go off of what they look like today. There have been ethnic groups from that part of the world that had died out or were enslaved and mixed in with other groups of people. Native Egyptians as a group pretty much don't exist today but according to some people I know who have been there and seen photos they looked somewhat like ethiopians. You have to also take into account that much of that area was under the Ottoman Turks empire for a few hundred years on up to after world war I. It seems that modern day Syrians look simular to the Turks as well as the Kurds. Since Altiar's origins are unknown he could be from anywhere in that part of the world, the makers of the game probably just went off of what the actor who is doing his voice looks like who happens to be arab.

EchoSixSpy
01-24-2009, 06:59 PM
I ONLY clicked on this thread, because I was playing Assassin's today, and I wanted to bit*h about how stupid the flags are. The thread's title is "Assassin's Largest Flaw" and I think the flags are one of them.


Anyway... Then I saw what this thread is REALLY about. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif


<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hatakare:
Gah, you don't understand. Humans mutate just the same as polarbears did. Over thousands of years, people changed depending on where they were living. You have to understand that Syrians didn't always look like that. More importantly, everyone is mixed nowadays, how can you be certain that they are 100% syrian? And let's say that you're right, would that explain why there are so many other light skinned people throughout the land? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Humans have no more evolved physically, than they have mentally. Human beings haven't changed their antagonistic, warring, horrific ways since the beginning of written documentation. How are they going to alter their skin color in such a brief period of time, if they can't keep from strangling one another, over stupid things, such as religion?

Life forms "evolve"... They don't mutate. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

And evolution takes centuries. NO nationality has altered heir appearance in their brief time on this planet.

I'm sorry... I'm feeding the trolls. I'll shut up now.


Anyway... The flags are stupid. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

General_Lekauf
10-18-2009, 10:31 PM
do you guya even know what bc and ad mean before Christ and ado dominion transalated to in the year of our Lord i am christian and the testaments werent all written hundreds of years after Christ some were written before him they tell the begining and the end lol like the fact that theyre will be a comet that strikes the earth named wearm wood and it will wipe out 1/3 of the planet and it also states that the birds will eat the flesh off the fallen in jerusalum and there is an increase in vultures there every year it says that the hills of isrial will glisten and they do because the land has become so fertile that the olive trees on the hills olive burst causeing the oil in them to run down the side of the hills and it speaks of the anti christ and europe becoming the main worldpower and the jews goig back to isrial and the world attacking isrial and God defending isrial

Cpt_Yanni
10-18-2009, 11:08 PM
Why do you answer on such an old topic?

FROGGEman2
10-18-2009, 11:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by caswallawn_2k7:
link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worthing#Stone_age) not the most reliable of sorces but that prety much sums up the area in the UK around stone henge and it is dating the flint mines to around 4500BC. history is a funny thing as unless you have witnessd it recently you cant proove when or were it acctualy happend.

all through history there are hundreds of mistakes also the apearance of jeasus wasnt actualy wrote till sevral hundred years after he was dead. the bible is the least acurate form of history in the world as thier are hundreds of versions of it sevral of them pre dating the now common roman made bible. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That... isn't true. It was translated thousands of years later, yes, but unless you want to read in Hebrew it's kind of understandable.

Xanatos2007
10-18-2009, 11:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hatakare:
Why exactly is it that Altair and the rest of the assassins are so light skinned? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
They either spend all their time indoors (Al Mualim, the Rafiks...) or they wear hoods & shemaghs. Not a lot of UV exposure.

FROGGEman2
10-18-2009, 11:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hatakare:
Gah, you don't understand. Humans mutate just the same as polarbears did. Over thousands of years, people changed depending on where they were living. You have to understand that Syrians didn't always look like that. More importantly, everyone is mixed nowadays, how can you be certain that they are 100% syrian? And let's say that you're right, would that explain why there are so many other light skinned people throughout the land? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

2009 - 1191 = 818.

You think humanity evolved in 818 years?

Oh yeah, he did spend most of his life with a hood.

There are dark-skinned people in the crowd and I DON'T KNOW MAYBE I JUST TRUST THE MASSIVE COMPANY THAT SPECIALLY EMPLOYS HISTORIANS OVER YOU.

Nice point by EchoSixSpy, maybe it was an art statement.

But then he said that evolution takes centuries and I facepalmed myself till I was blind and bleeding.

I'm surprised I managed to type all of this.

NoxieDC
10-19-2009, 02:13 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BTOG46:
http://img396.imageshack.us/img396/5734/10539641185077248giveadeq4.gif

http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/3175/donotfeedthetrollui5.png </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://blog.iwantoneofthose.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/zombie-large.jpg

keepth3beat
10-19-2009, 02:48 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by General_Lekauf:
do you guya even know what bc and ad mean before Christ and ado dominion transalated to in the year of our Lord i am christian and the testaments werent all written hundreds of years after Christ some were written before him they tell the begining and the end lol like the fact that theyre will be a comet that strikes the earth named wearm wood and it will wipe out 1/3 of the planet and it also states that the birds will eat the flesh off the fallen in jerusalum and there is an increase in vultures there every year it says that the hills of isrial will glisten and they do because the land has become so fertile that the olive trees on the hills olive burst causeing the oil in them to run down the side of the hills and it speaks of the anti christ and europe becoming the main worldpower and the jews goig back to isrial and the world attacking isrial and God defending isrial </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

...I'm severely confused by this.

What does this have to do with Altair being fair skinned?

Or... anything, really?

Realjambo
10-19-2009, 04:30 AM
Topic Closed.