PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one who doesn't really like the hookblade?

Pr0metheus 1962
11-21-2011, 06:22 PM
I mean, yeah, it's okay. But do we really need all the extra junk in ACR? I keep using bombs and thinking they're so impersonal. And the hookblade? Ziplines never seem to be there when you need them, and most are way too short and lead to where I don't want to go. So does the hookblade really do anything that makes the game better. I don't think so, but what do you think?

ShadyFusion23
11-21-2011, 06:29 PM
I like it do a degree. Climbing is faster, however, I've had alot of times where I'd press A to use the hookblade only to jump in the opposite direction, sometimes to my death simply becasue he decided to jump a 180 instead of going up.

HarvestedOrgan
11-21-2011, 06:39 PM
I've never had a problem with the hookblade.. I think it's very convenient. And you can mess with civilians without killing them with legsweeps.

Sarari
11-21-2011, 07:11 PM
Is there a way we can not use it? And when I say that, can we deselect it from our 4 weapon pads?

YHHTQ
11-21-2011, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Sarari:
Is there a way we can not use it? And when I say that, can we deselect it from our 4 weapon pads?
Unless you choose NOT to use the hidden-blade at all, I believe such thing is not possible.

CRUDFACE
11-21-2011, 07:22 PM
I love the hookblade. the only thing I don't like is that the moves are restricted between guards and civilians.

Originally posted by Sarari:

You mean take it off the four slot quick select? Yeah, you totally can. Takes off your hidden blade though

Il_Divo
11-21-2011, 08:37 PM
I like its travel applications, the ability to use ziplines, and the hook and run maneuvers, which were very useful additions, and enjoyable.

I was less thrilled with its actual combat applications, given the hype built around the hookblade. There's really no reason to ever counter using the hookblade, since it's completely incapable of generating execution strikes, making it inferior to the standard counter. In combat, it's only practicality really seems to be in providing more combat animations.

naran6142
11-21-2011, 09:49 PM
i like pretty much everything the hookblade offers, the one thing i have against it is that ezio doesn't really need it to do the things it lets you do except ziplines

kriegerdesgottes
11-21-2011, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by ShadyFusion23:
I like it do a degree. Climbing is faster, however, I've had alot of times where I'd press A to use the hookblade only to jump in the opposite direction, sometimes to my death simply becasue he decided to jump a 180 instead of going up.

Ugh yeah I do hate that but otherwise I like it more than I was expecting to.

S-EVANS
11-22-2011, 03:01 AM
I understand why it was introduced, and when its used for the ziplines and laterns then i welcome it to the game, climbing whilst faster makes certain aspects of the game easier and from time to time i feel that i miss the old slower way of ascending up a tower.

Actually leaping from rooftop to rooftop over longer distances using the hookblade to anchor yourself doesnt really make to much of a difference and becomes/feels the same.

I can live with it, and now after a few days playing revelations i have just accepted it and no longer really think to much about the fact its there at all.

BK-110
11-22-2011, 03:07 AM
Loving the hookblade, both in combat and traversal. Never having problems with it either. It's a very convenient and versatile tool and a great addition in my opinion.

Il_Divo
11-22-2011, 03:30 AM
Originally posted by BK-110:
Loving the hookblade, both in combat and traversal. Never having problems with it either. It's a very convenient and versatile tool and a great addition in my opinion.

I could be missing a few of its combat applications. Aside from a counter attack with the hook and a counter hook and run, are there other moves I can do in combat with the hook blade? As far as I can tell, once combat starts I can't throw opponents with it anymore.

LightRey
11-22-2011, 03:36 AM
Originally posted by Il_Divo:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BK-110:

I could be missing a few of its combat applications. Aside from a counter attack with the hook and a counter hook and run, are there other moves I can do in combat with the hook blade? As far as I can tell, once combat starts I can't throw opponents with it anymore. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well aside from the animations, you can use it to take out opponents without killing them by countering using the empty hand button instead of the attack button or to steal from enemies during combat by using the head button instead of the attack button while countering.

eagleforlife1
11-22-2011, 04:10 AM
Originally posted by kriegerdesgotte:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ShadyFusion23:

Ugh yeah I do hate that but otherwise I like it more than I was expecting to. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

^ This

ProdiGurl
11-22-2011, 04:30 AM
Originally posted by ShadyFusion23:

Yep, that's happened to me a few times too.

I'm in btwn. Loving it and thinking it's Ok.
I do love Ziplining & taking out guards tho.
Esp. since Air assassinations are one of my favs.

One time, I don't know what I hit on my controls, but I literally flew over the guard coming at me and it was awesome!

LightRey
11-22-2011, 04:33 AM
I love the hookblade. It's a great addition to the gameplay, especially when it comes to freerunning. It takes a little to get used to, but when you're used to it, it makes freerunning so much more fun.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-22-2011, 05:35 AM
Originally posted by Il_Divo:
There's really no reason to ever counter using the hookblade, since it's completely incapable of generating execution strikes...

Maybe you haven't tried it yet, but 'hook and throw' is a hookblade execution strike.

The thing I really don't like about it is that on many buildings you use it and, instead of boosting you up further, it leaves you stuck for a second. This happens whenever the next 'leap up' is not far enough to be a 'hookblade leap'. So you lose all that speed that you gained. It seems like the software has a delay when changing from the hookblade climb to regular climb, so you sit there looking like an idiot while it sorts itself out. In previous games, movement was usually smooth if you had a clear way of climbing, but with the hookblade I'm finding that movement is kinda 'stop start' over what should be easily climbable parts of buildings - frustrating.

boxterduke
11-22-2011, 08:00 AM
I like it and I like how it can make climbing faster.