PDA

View Full Version : Supercharger help

pmckelvy
02-07-2005, 05:20 PM
Is there a resource with good info on supercharger settings, hieghts and such. I've caught bits and pieces in the forums and see that certain planes have certain hieghts when you should kick them up. I'm not neccesarilly (sp?) to have it spoon fed to me but either a basis to go on or a good resource would help. I'm such a newb I haven't even been using them. Wow no wonder I'm getting shot down like nobody's business. Oh well thanks guys.

Mac out

pmckelvy
02-07-2005, 05:20 PM
Is there a resource with good info on supercharger settings, hieghts and such. I've caught bits and pieces in the forums and see that certain planes have certain hieghts when you should kick them up. I'm not neccesarilly (sp?) to have it spoon fed to me but either a basis to go on or a good resource would help. I'm such a newb I haven't even been using them. Wow no wonder I'm getting shot down like nobody's business. Oh well thanks guys.

Mac out

WTE_Galway
02-07-2005, 05:28 PM
there should be files on the install CD's with stacks of that sort of info

VF-29_Sandman
02-07-2005, 07:56 PM
depends on plane. some planes have automatic superchargers: p-47/51/38, me-109's, fw-190's.

other planes are manually set. like p-40's, hurricanes, hellcat, corsair.
in the case of the hellcat/corsair, there's 3 stages of 'charger. stage 1 for low alts, stage 2 for medium alts (over 3k meters) stage 3 for high alts; over 15'000 ft.

listen to ur engine. if it starts to bog down as u climb higher, its getting starved for air. u need to kick the supercharger up 1 notch. just remember, as u come down, u have to back the charger off 1 notch. if u dont, u could wind up killin the engine.

some planes dont have a supercharger. p-39's and early p-40's are some, and obviously, the bi-planes and tb-3 dont have em either. the 111 does.

LeadSpitter_
02-07-2005, 08:00 PM
look at disk 2 of all the cds fb aep pf as well as the patch documents in your fb/aep/pf directory

3.JG51_BigBear
02-07-2005, 08:07 PM
Thanks LS in the three years I've been playing I never knew all that info was in there.

pourshot
02-07-2005, 08:21 PM
p40's and p39's do have a supercharger but its one speed only, the p40 m-105 feild mod has(if I remember correctly)a 2 speed super charger. But if your not sure of the correct alt to switch speeds you can always look at the boost guage http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

SlickStick
02-07-2005, 09:06 PM
The literature is fine, but the best way to learn is to listen to your engine. When you get above 3km or so, you'll hear the RPMs start to drop off and you won't be able to accelerate anymore. Time for Stage 2.

On the way back down, the same happens below a certain altitude with Stage 2. Time to go back to Stage 1. Check out the I-185 sometime. It has a 3 Stage Supercharger. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Also, maybe you already know, but those black trails coming out of your exhaust at high altitutde? That's unburned fuel because you need to lower mixture above certain altitudes.

JG53Frankyboy
02-08-2005, 03:51 AM
ore you can look at the speed curves in IL2compare. there you can see the alt to shift the charger

pmckelvy
02-08-2005, 12:30 PM
Thanks a ton guys, that's just the kind of info I was looking for.