PDA

View Full Version : P80 a second look

AKA_TAGERT
10-21-2006, 02:33 PM
Hey Guys!

What with the pending "what if" 46 addon I think it is time we take a closer look at the YP80. In that the YP80 will be the only jet in the US inventory that will be able to go toe to toe with the Whiz Bang Looney Luftie Napkin Drawing planes.

With that said, what I am looking for is some performance data to test and compare to. I would also like to know if anyone here has any idea where Oleg gets the impression that the P80 wings should break off as they do. In that I have yet to find one case/report of wing failure.

With regards to that issue I ask Gibbage what he knew about the wing falling off in that I know he did a lot of research on this plane before modeling it. Here is what Gibbage had to say on this mater.

Gibbage on the P80 wing breakage:
Consider this. In 2 separate instances, 2 P-80's "bounced" off the ground during a strafing run and flew home. There bellies caved in and full of dirt and grass. After you consider THAT, remember that all P-80's had the wing tip tanks. It was perm, but droppable in case of a fire. Also consider the fact that the manual states no where that there are ANY restrictions of speed or maneuver with those wing tip tanks installed or full. That should give you an idea for how strong the P-80's wings are.
WOW! bounced off the ground during a strafing run and made it back home? Not one case but two? Amazing!

Reading the manual, the only warning I can read is "aileron rolls are not recommended with full drop tanks. Aileron rolls, with full drop tanks, at rates faster then 45 degrees per second are prohibited." but I think this applies for almost any drop tank. There is a dive chart. Max at SL is 580MPH and at 20,000 430MPH IAS.
Agreed 100% WRT restrictions apply for any plane with drop tanks

One thing to remember is that a P-80 set a world speed record of 623 MPH in level flight. Clearly the max indicated speed does NOT apply too the point the wings brake off. I cant find any warning about excessive speed causing stress or damage.
Nor can I!

I also ask Gibbage about his original P80 3D model. In that initially Gibbage 3D modle was of the P80 not the YP80, and the P80 had dive breaks. Here is what Gibbage had to say about that

Gibbage on the P80 3D art work:
The P-80 was modeled WITH wing tip drop tanks AND dive brakes. Its all there, ready for Oleg. He took it off and made it a YP-80. If you zoom into the belly of the IL2 P-80, you can still see the dive brakes.
Dive breaks would give the P80 a big advantage over the other 46 jets! So, since Oleg already has the P80 3D model with dive breaks, I don't think it would be too much to ask Oleg to give us a true P80 instead of a watered down YP80. I mean if Oleg can make planes fly that never made it off the napkin they were scribbled on, is it too much to ask him to gives us something that actually did fly.. and something he all ready has the 3D art for. I think not!

But I digress

My real question goes out to all you data experts..

1) Does anyone have any real life performance data on the P80?
2) Does anyone have any real life data that would indicate the P80 was prone to wings falling off?

Thanks in advance!<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

IF WAR IS NOT THE ANSWER.. THAN WHAT THE H IS YOUR QUESTION?

AKA_TAGERT
10-21-2006, 02:33 PM
Hey Guys!

What with the pending "what if" 46 addon I think it is time we take a closer look at the YP80. In that the YP80 will be the only jet in the US inventory that will be able to go toe to toe with the Whiz Bang Looney Luftie Napkin Drawing planes.

With that said, what I am looking for is some performance data to test and compare to. I would also like to know if anyone here has any idea where Oleg gets the impression that the P80 wings should break off as they do. In that I have yet to find one case/report of wing failure.

With regards to that issue I ask Gibbage what he knew about the wing falling off in that I know he did a lot of research on this plane before modeling it. Here is what Gibbage had to say on this mater.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Gibbage on the P80 wing breakage:
Consider this. In 2 separate instances, 2 P-80's "bounced" off the ground during a strafing run and flew home. There bellies caved in and full of dirt and grass. After you consider THAT, remember that all P-80's had the wing tip tanks. It was perm, but droppable in case of a fire. Also consider the fact that the manual states no where that there are ANY restrictions of speed or maneuver with those wing tip tanks installed or full. That should give you an idea for how strong the P-80's wings are. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
WOW! bounced off the ground during a strafing run and made it back home? Not one case but two? Amazing!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Gibbage on the P80 wing breakage:
Reading the manual, the only warning I can read is "aileron rolls are not recommended with full drop tanks. Aileron rolls, with full drop tanks, at rates faster then 45 degrees per second are prohibited." but I think this applies for almost any drop tank. There is a dive chart. Max at SL is 580MPH and at 20,000 430MPH IAS. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Agreed 100% WRT restrictions apply for any plane with drop tanks

One thing to remember is that a P-80 set a world speed record of 623 MPH in level flight. Clearly the max indicated speed does NOT apply too the point the wings brake off. I cant find any warning about excessive speed causing stress or damage. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Nor can I!

I also ask Gibbage about his original P80 3D model. In that initially Gibbage 3D modle was of the P80 not the YP80, and the P80 had dive breaks. Here is what Gibbage had to say about that

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Gibbage on the P80 3D art work:
The P-80 was modeled WITH wing tip drop tanks AND dive brakes. Its all there, ready for Oleg. He took it off and made it a YP-80. If you zoom into the belly of the IL2 P-80, you can still see the dive brakes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Dive breaks would give the P80 a big advantage over the other 46 jets! So, since Oleg already has the P80 3D model with dive breaks, I don't think it would be too much to ask Oleg to give us a true P80 instead of a watered down YP80. I mean if Oleg can make planes fly that never made it off the napkin they were scribbled on, is it too much to ask him to gives us something that actually did fly.. and something he all ready has the 3D art for. I think not!

But I digress

My real question goes out to all you data experts..

1) Does anyone have any real life performance data on the P80?
2) Does anyone have any real life data that would indicate the P80 was prone to wings falling off?

Thanks in advance!<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

berg417448
10-21-2006, 02:39 PM
I've had the wings come off of the P-51 on occasion but I've never experience that with the YP-80. What were the circumstances when you experienced it?

AKA_TAGERT
10-21-2006, 02:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by berg417448:
I've had the wings come off of the P-51 on occasion but I've never experience that with the YP-80. What were the circumstances when you experienced it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Same circumstances as the P51, only, your going a tad bit faster.

I have a test in mind to measure the g force at the point the wings come off, but g does not tell the whole story. But it would be very telling to compare that g point to other planes in the game that never shed a wing, what some refer to a bias!

What I would really like to see is where did Oleg ever get the impression that the wings come off at all.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

heywooood
10-21-2006, 02:44 PM
Russian/Chinese gun camera film no doubt...<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/heywooood/afewofTheFew-1.jpg

A few of The Few

AKA_TAGERT
10-21-2006, 02:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by heywooood:
Russian/Chinese gun camera film no doubt... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Doubt it<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

VW-IceFire
10-21-2006, 02:59 PM
The only time I yanked the wings off the YP-80 was in a very high speed dive followed by full elevator pull out. I must have exceeded the G tolerances for the aircraft....you'd think anyways.

It'd be nice, at the very least, to give us a P-80A just as a bonus. It'd be very little work on their part...maybe re-add the fuel tanks (it was there originally in some AEP beta screen shots). Might be something worth asking for.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/sigs/icefire-tempestv.jpg
Find my missions at Flying Legends (http://www.flying-legends.net/php/downloads/downloads.php?cat_id=19) and Mission4Today.com (http://www.mission4today.com).

AKA_TAGERT
10-21-2006, 03:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
The only time I yanked the wings off the YP-80 was in a very high speed dive followed by full elevator pull out. I must have exceeded the G tolerances for the aircraft....you'd think anyways. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I have done it in level flight at less than max speed.

But.. what would be REAL INTERESTING is to measure the g force at the point of breakage relitive to other jets in the game.. Ill make a little bet.. Ill bet none of the new Wiz Bang Napkin Stuff or the Russian stuff sheeds a wing at the same or lower g force. Ill bet it takes many more g's to get the same effect in those planes. At this point, just a bet.. but something I will be testing as soon as the addon comes out.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
It'd be nice, at the very least, to give us a P-80A just as a bonus. It'd be very little work on their part... maybe re-add the fuel tanks (it was there originally in some AEP beta screen shots). Might be something worth asking for. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Agreed 100%<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

Badsight-
10-21-2006, 03:23 PM
ive broken wings off YP-80's plenty of times in high speed turns

you have to force it , but it happens

FritzGryphon
10-21-2006, 04:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have a test in mind to measure the g force at the point the wings come off, but g does not tell the whole story. But it would be very telling to compare that g point to other planes in the game that never shed a wing, what some refer to a bias! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's the same for all planes. Use devicelink software to check.

15G according to Oleg, and ~14G according to devicelink. Speed doesn't affect it.

One might not think they're doing a lot of G in this game, but that's only because the blackout effect is so slow paced and lenient. In some planes you can easily do 25-30G for short periods.

AKA_TAGERT
10-21-2006, 04:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FritzGryphon:
It's the same for all planes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I find that hard to belive

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FritzGryphon:
Use devicelink software to check. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
As allways

15G according to Oleg, and ~14G according to devicelink. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Are you saying you have tested this allready? Reason I ask is device link does NOT output g force.. it would have to be calculated.. So if you did all that, I would love to see what you got.. As in Got Track?

Speed doesn't affect it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well, it does in that the faster you go on a fixed curve the more g you will generate

One might not think they're doing a lot of G in this game, but that's only because the blackout effect is so slow paced and lenient. In some planes you can easily do 25-30G for short periods. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>True that.. but I still dont buy the same g for all thing.. In that if that is true, it is wrong. Not all planes will have the same point.. But, maybe in the lack of data Oleg decided to make them all the same.. But it sure seems like the P51 and P80 do it more than others.. But.. until I test it I will take your word for it<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

LStarosta
10-21-2006, 04:44 PM
Now only if the P80 had a pair of 20mm's in the nose, we'd have a worldbeater.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/1872/fe4ae1e074f2ea8e1878fa1kn2.gif (http://irwinnotguaranteed.ytmnd.com/)

FritzGryphon
10-21-2006, 04:46 PM
Look, this is a very old thing. Somewhere on the forum in the thread where Oleg explained the G-limit feature they implimented in FB. It was in response to people whining about bat turns and trim hack and whatnot.

I agree totally that not all planes have the same load limits. Oleg explained that it was not practical to have different for all, and that a more realistic system would be in BoB.

As for devicelink, I do not know anything about adjusting it's output to give a precise number, or even why you think it needs to be adjusted at all. The load it generates seems accurate enough, and the break point is always the same value (were it inaccurate, it should vary wildly).

I can't even find a working UPDspeed link anymore. So if you want these questions answered, go ahead yourself.

But at the same time no one should be saying their pet plane is underprivledged in the load department, or claim that it is somehow worse than other planes without evidence.

Well, it does in that the faster you go on a fixed curve the more g you will generate

You know very well what I mean. IRL, allowable load factor changes with speed. In game, it does not. Of course high G is easier at high speed.

heywooood
10-21-2006, 05:07 PM
herein lies the real reason for all the local umbrage taken in the Ta-183 thread.

Ameriwhiners aka center of the universe forum members are sure they will have no play in the 46 servers...no competitive mount in the name of internet gaming fairness and equality.

A real blow to Us gamers.

I think Oleg knew it when he gave the green light to Ilya to do it.

Lets face it - only the most loudmouth and nationalistic players will 'suffer' this 'injustice'....the rest of us will enjoy the addon for what it is, a hypothetical continuation of the war between Germany and Russia that has been imagined without any other allied involvement.

Now suddenly some have realised that to participate, one must be willing to fly Eastern Air...just like in the original Il2.

Let the bellyaching continue...<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/heywooood/afewofTheFew-1.jpg

A few of The Few

LEXX_Luthor
10-21-2006, 05:18 PM
No production P-80 needed for Eastern Front, unless its Lend Leace, even if our "feelings" are hurt, leaving us in depression, tearing at our clothes.

However, even better than 1946 Eastern Front would be 1947+ SAC vs PVO with P-80, P-84, B-45 (flyable), B-50 (flyable), P-51H, P-47N, *especially* P-82, La-9, etc...along with the Soviet interceptors already coming, although I would love a Yak-19 as it has much panache.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

"You will still have FB, you will lose nothing" ~WUAF_Badsight
"I had actually pre ordered CFS3 and I couldnt wait..." ~Bearcat99
"At the altitudes this community flies at, diving is not an option." ~Stiglr
"Gladiator and Falco, elegant weapons of a more civilized age" ~ElAurens
"109Z flew briefly, after being hit by a bomb. Go-229 also saw combat, when the factory was overrun." ~pingu666
:
"Where you did read about Spitfire made from a wood?
Close this book forever and don't open anymore!" ~Oleg_Maddox http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

AKA_TAGERT
10-21-2006, 05:24 PM
Look, this is a very old thing. Somewhere on the forum in the thread where Oleg explained the G-limit feature they implimented in FB. It was in response to people whining about bat turns and trim hack and whatnot. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>A lot has changed since those days.. trim hack was back in the old FM. That, and it wouldn't be the first time Oleg said something was one way.. Only to find out later it was not the case.. Take the La weight thing.. That is a mistake in the data, there are also bugs. I also remember the debates on the whole P51 elevator command authority being the problem.. But as far as I know, no one has actually tested any of these things, and it sure *feels* wrong! So, until I test it for myself, I will take what you have to say into consideration and consider it as a possibility.. In that it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong too!

I agree totally that not all planes have the same load limits. Oleg explained that it was not practical to have different for all, and that a more realistic system would be in BoB. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Enh.. knowing what I know about FMs that sounds like a cop out IMHO. The g is calculated, the DM would simply react to the g. Making the wing come off at 15g is just as easy as making it come off at 3g. Thus, it is not practical in the since that it takes work to sit down and come up with a good estimate (aka WAG) at what each plane should be set to, not a limitaion of the FM or DM.

As for devicelink, I do not know anything about adjusting it's output to give a precise number, or even why you think it needs to be adjusted at all. The load it generates seems accurate enough, and the break point is always the same value (were it inaccurate, it should vary wildly). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That variable that a lot of people though was g force turned out to not be g force. Last time I looked into it, about 2 years ago nobody really could tell what it was. As for adjust, never said that, I said calculate. It would be a simple mater to calculate the g force in a simpl vertical maneuver.. As a mater of fact I allready calculate it in my analysis tool. Only thing left to do is run the tests.

I can't even find a working UPDspeed link anymore. So if you want these questions answered, go ahead yourself. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
So what part of me saying I was going to test it did you not understand?

But at the same time no one should be saying their pet plane is underprivledged in the load department, or claim that it is somehow worse than other planes without evidence. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>True.. which is why I said "ILL BET" in lue of me getting the evidence.. Kind of hard to get it now in that the 46 add on is not release yet.

You know very well what I mean. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Nope, I never assume, I simply go by what you said.

IRL, allowable load factor changes with speed. In game, it does not. Of course high G is easier at high speed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Is what I said, and is what your saying now.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

AKA_TAGERT
10-21-2006, 05:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by heywooood:
herein lies the real reason for all the local umbrage taken in the Ta-183 thread.

Ameriwhiners aka center of the universe forum members are sure they will have no play in the 46 servers...no competitive mount in the name of internet gaming fairness and equality.

Lets face it - only the most loudmouth and nationalistic players will 'suffer' this 'injustice'....the rest of us will enjoy the addon for what it is, a hypothetical continuation of the war between Germany and Russia that has been imagined without any other allied involvement.

Now suddenly some have realised that to participate, one must be willing to fly Eastern Air...just like in the original Il2.

Let the bellyaching continue... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>yawn<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

ImpStarDuece
10-21-2006, 05:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">herein lies the real reason for all the local umbrage taken in the Ta-183 thread.

Let the bellyaching continue... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with my learned colleague above.

All this catterwauling about a lack of Western planes in an add-on designed and built by Russians for a Russian market is bizarre.

After the PF legal debarcle, its not suprising that RRG and 1C decided to stick well clear of any US influenced conflicts.

I'm looking foward to the jets: I'll have a brief flitrtation with the ones that never flew, a long play on the real ones (Ar 234 and the early Russian jets especially), and then i'll move back to flying Gladiators and Hurricanes vs CR.42s, MC 202, G. 50s and 109E-4/7s or the typical Warcloouds late war set ups.

What I'm most looking foward to is some decent Russia vs Japan late war scenarios: Ki-84s, Ki-100s and J2M3/5s vs Yak-3/9s, IL-2s, Il-10s, Pe-2s, La-5FNs/7s.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

ImpStarDuece,

Flying Bullet Magnet... Catching Lead Since 2002

"There's no such thing as gravity, the earth sucks!"

"Every form of addiction is bad, no matter whether the narcotic be alcohol, morphine or idealism."
-Carl Jung

AKA_TAGERT
10-21-2006, 05:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ImpStarDuece:
I agree with my learned colleague above.

All this catterwauling about a lack of Western planes in an add-on designed and built by Russians for a Russian market is bizarre. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That song might sell if there was no way to pit the US planes againts the Lw stuff.. but as we all know that is not the case. The user has the ability to generate any senario he wants for online or offline play. Thus there is a very good chance that you will see a server on HL that has P80s vs &lt;Insert Napkin Drawing Name Here&gt; Luftie stuff.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ImpStarDuece:
After the PF legal debarcle, its not suprising that RRG and 1C decided to stick well clear of any US influenced conflicts. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That song does not sell either in that since that time we have recived a new P47, that and the last time I check Northrop has not bought out Lockheed.. the makers of the P80.

I'm looking foward to the jets: I'll have a brief flitrtation with the ones that never flew, a long play on the real ones (Ar 234 and the early Russian jets especially), and then i'll move back to flying Gladiators and Hurricanes vs CR.42s, MC 202, G. 50s and 109E-4/7s or the typical Warcloouds late war set ups. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Agreed 100%

What I'm most looking foward to is some decent Russia vs Japan late war scenarios: Ki-84s, Ki-100s and J2M3/5s vs Yak-3/9s, IL-2s, Il-10s, Pe-2s, La-5FNs/7s. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Agreed 100%<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

Copperhead310th
10-21-2006, 05:38 PM

Let the bellyaching continue... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice one JACK@SS. Take your nastonallistic bullsh*t and stick it where the sun don't shine.
What's the matter ya big powder puff? Afraid the P-80A will wax dat @ss for ya in 46? well cry me a handfull ya big baby. What? what i ask would ir hurt for Oleg & Co to slip in an extra model for the 46 add on THAT HAS ALREADY BEEN COMPLEATED (and most likly reworked by the 1c team) as a bonus? what?
Jesus freakin christ what a candy@ss chickensh*t! lol OMG.

Let usual crowd come on out an toot too thier little horns too. we all know who they are.

Brain32
10-21-2006, 05:39 PM
1. Doh and you think of that now that add-ons are completed...
2. I shreaded wings of Me163, Me262, and He162 also in level flight(I had to trim Me262 to do it though)
3. "load" in device link seems to be matching G-load gauge in P47, is it accurate I don't know.
However not so long ago I did test various planes including P51 using "load" in device link, the thing is they all shreaded wings at approx. same values however P51 and Tempest were the only ones that needed no trim to do it, 109's for example required massive amount of trim.... I tested only by pulling out from a high speed dive, closest to 0m as possible.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

This is my sig http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif