PDA

View Full Version : netx future is very nice (ppu technology is here)

TIBUSH
06-01-2005, 03:10 AM
I supose that Mr. Maddox and team are working on this.

http://www.gdhardware.com/interviews/agiea/001.htm

Can't imagine the improvement...

TIBUSH
06-01-2005, 03:10 AM
I supose that Mr. Maddox and team are working on this.

http://www.gdhardware.com/interviews/agiea/001.htm

Can't imagine the improvement...

Taylortony
06-01-2005, 10:48 AM
Isnt it supposed to be faster??

alert_1
06-01-2005, 10:53 AM
I afraid it's not usable for realistic flight sim - some time ago there was comprehensive thread about it.

Capt.LoneRanger
06-01-2005, 10:58 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> This includes things such as Rigid Body Dynamics, Collision Detection, Fluid Simulation, Soft Bodies and Fracturing of objects </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And again it prooves this chip is aimed at the FPS-market, not for sims. Tests will show how much faster it is, reminding everybody, that all info from and to the PCI-Bus use CPU&RAM, too. Until these test are provided, I remain curious, openminded, but not too optimistic.

Physics is not physics. Reading the article, you'll notice that it is aimed for particle systems 'n stuff. If at all this is hardware can help modelling damage effects, smoketrails, etc. but not flight modells.

StellarRat
06-01-2005, 03:00 PM
"Rigid Body Dynamics, Collision Detection, Fluid Simulation, Soft Bodies and Fracturing of objects"

Those are all used in putting together a flight sim, I'm a bit confused as to why you don't think it will be useful. I can see uses in damaging modeling right now.

Capt.LoneRanger
06-01-2005, 03:32 PM
RigidBodyDynamics = Weight and bouncing behaviour of objects.
CollisionDetection = detection of collision between complex (e.g. curved) objects (like 3D-Objects in UT2003/4 "StaticMeshes")
Fluid simulation = How a fluid flows and how it is deformated by objects.
SoftBody = Deformation of objects like cloth and stuff
Fracturing = Exploding of objects into objects or particles.
Beyond that mainly support of particle rendering = Smoke and particle emitters renderation

Nothing usefull for flight dynamics, airflow, complex physics or even trajectory. You can make it look nicer but that's about it.

JunkoIfurita
06-02-2005, 05:49 AM
I still think there's a good chance it'll be implemented in BoB to help with the EXTREMELY performance heavy dynamic weather system.

Fluid dynamics system will come quite handy in simulating a cloud front pouring in over the horizon, or wing trails and eddies created by your wings pushing through cloud. Not to mention a next-generation wave system - English Channel.

Also StellarRat is right in saying it does have a real-time application for the Damage Modelling.

But you're also right in saying that it's mainly a visual thing. Methinks that the Physics Chip driven weather will be similar to the water=3 of the current generation: those who can afford the top end systems with the right hardware will get an extra level of eyecandy over everyone else.

Just as long as it doesn't give one set of hardware a gameplay advantage over another, I'll be happy http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

----

StellarRat
06-02-2005, 01:36 PM
Wouldn't fluid simulation be appliciable to modelling airflow over a surface? Like airflow over the wings of a plane? Or is that something different?

lbhskier37
06-02-2005, 01:57 PM
fluid flow is very complex, and there are many different ways to model it. The assumptions someone would make in modeling fluid flow in a FPS would be very different from the assumptions one would make in a flight sim for the flight model. The fluid flow models would be very different in these cases. If this thing is mainly setup to do eyecandy type stuff, the chances of its fluid model being of any use in a flight sim are pretty slim.

OldMan____
06-02-2005, 01:58 PM
Computer games simmulations are not made this way. Even dedicated hardware cannot make REAL time airplane fluid simmulation. The characetristics of fluid physics on a given airfoil are described by a few values used in discreete aproximation functions.

Don't even start dreaming that this PPU can handle real time FM based on fluid dynamics.

LStarosta
06-02-2005, 04:35 PM
Haha, all of this talk about Fluid Dynamics being a tough nut to crack is starting to make me regret taking a Fluid Dynamics independent study course...

Capt.LoneRanger
06-02-2005, 05:18 PM
You're still expecting a universial processor able to deal with complex physics. That is not the case. Of course one example for physics is the calculation how a plane stays in the air, how thrust and resistance, lift and wheight function in balance to keep an airplane up.
But another demonstration of physics is also to drop your keys or to empty a glass of water over your head.

Fluid Calculation is the simple particle effect, that is used for simulating water. Like cloth and other effects, this routine enables a game to render what particles make a surface and how it behaves, when it is spilled, if it will still remain a surface or splash in drops.

Just a reminder: This chip works via PCI, so every single bit has to pass through the processor. If you think you can do way more complex calculations with this chip over the PCI bottleneck, than a high-end CPU can, I guess you make some calculations yourself.

Of course this system could become handy for flightsims, but not in terms of flight dynamics and simulation. Only in case of particle systems and effects, cause that is, what this thing was invented for. I'm sorry to dissapoint you, but it's all there in the interviews and on their homepage. Why don't you just read it, if you still don't believe me!? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

BaldieJr
06-02-2005, 07:47 PM
thinking that this thing wont help is up there with thinking there is no gain in a faster processor or more ram.

any out-of-core processes are welcome, be sure.