PDA

View Full Version : A quick question and something interesting.

Flanker15
04-05-2005, 09:21 PM
I was wondering if anyone has actually seen a pt boat or destroyer use there torpedo tubes, when I get attacked by a pt boat they seem happy to just bounce bullets of my hull when they have 4 perfectly good topedos on there boat and a clear shot at me. Did this just not get into the game in time? if so I hope it can be added later.
Also I was cruising the cfg files and came across some info on air attacks that shows carriers act like mobile airbases so there not just big useless targets anymore!

Lovo_Kasistan
04-05-2005, 09:28 PM
The torpedoe tubes on the destroyers and the PT boats are not functionable. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Aviar
04-05-2005, 09:31 PM
For sure, I have had carriers launch planes against my sub. As far as the patrol boats, I have also noticed that. I've made several missions with them and they never use their torps.

Interestingly, many destroyers also have torpedo launchers. You can clearly see them in external view. They are also mentioned in the 'Museum' section of the game.

I've never seen a DD use it's torps either. My guess is that they did not have time to include this feature. Too bad....it would have added a lot to the game.

Aviar

quillan
04-05-2005, 09:54 PM
Torpedoes in WWII were intended for use against surface targets. The way torpedo boats and destroyers used them was to race at a large surface target, like a cruiser or battleship, at full speed, launch the torps, and run back out. The idea was the speed and smaller size would make them harder to hit. They could not use those torps against submarines. The US did come up with an ASW torpedo later on in the war, but it was dropped from planes.

Aviar
04-05-2005, 10:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by quillan:
Torpedoes in WWII were intended for use against surface targets. The way torpedo boats and destroyers used them was to race at a large surface target, like a cruiser or battleship, at full speed, launch the torps, and run back out. The idea was the speed and smaller size would make them harder to hit. They could not use those torps against submarines. The US did come up with an ASW torpedo later on in the war, but it was dropped from planes. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True, but all very obvious. What was your point?

I would love to see patrol boats launch their torps against my sub if they caught me on the surface. I'm sure they would do just that in real life.

Aviar

nvrsummer2
04-05-2005, 10:33 PM
Can anyone verify that torps were ever really used by these boats on uboats? If not then i can see why they left em out.

Flanker15
04-05-2005, 11:48 PM
Good point about the pt boats not using torpedoes against uboats, but I've seen them not use them against battle ships and tankers (they must really like there torps) same thing for DDs. I'm guessing now that it just wasn't moddeled in the game. Do the swordfish planes use torpedoes though?