PDA

View Full Version : Carrier Landings in PF - way cool - but no LSO?

panthercules
10-29-2004, 11:25 PM
FINALLY got PF at the stores here (USA) yesterday. First thing after installing it, I took up a Wildcat (F4F) and gave carrier landings a try. After stalling out right at the edge of the flight deck and crashing into the stern on my first attempt, and then missing the arrestor cable with my tail hook and falling over the bow into the sea on my second (only to look up and get a water-level view of the carrier bearing down on and smashing over my plane - awesome visual), I finally made it on my third attempt. WOW - what an incredible job Oleg and team did modeling the carrier and that whole experience.

HOWEVER, I don't really understand why they decided to implement that fake/non-historical landing assist mechanism mentioned in the readme file: "In order to make it easier to learn, we€ve included a non-historical helper feature that may be useful for people who otherwise find it difficult to land on the carrier. If you turn off the 3D cockpit (Shift-F1 by default, with €œNo Cockpit€ set to On in the Difficulty section), you will see an extra reticle floating around the virtual cockpit."

Why not just model a little 3D man as LSO (Landing Signal Officer) standing near the stern of the carrier waving those paddles to let you know how you're doing? If you can turn on 3D gunner people by putting the line "3dgunners=1" in the conf.ini file, why not add the line "3dLSO=1" to turn on a liitle LSO as an historical landing aid?

How about it - sound like something we should ask for in the next patch?

panthercules
10-29-2004, 11:25 PM
FINALLY got PF at the stores here (USA) yesterday. First thing after installing it, I took up a Wildcat (F4F) and gave carrier landings a try. After stalling out right at the edge of the flight deck and crashing into the stern on my first attempt, and then missing the arrestor cable with my tail hook and falling over the bow into the sea on my second (only to look up and get a water-level view of the carrier bearing down on and smashing over my plane - awesome visual), I finally made it on my third attempt. WOW - what an incredible job Oleg and team did modeling the carrier and that whole experience.

HOWEVER, I don't really understand why they decided to implement that fake/non-historical landing assist mechanism mentioned in the readme file: "In order to make it easier to learn, we€ve included a non-historical helper feature that may be useful for people who otherwise find it difficult to land on the carrier. If you turn off the 3D cockpit (Shift-F1 by default, with €œNo Cockpit€ set to On in the Difficulty section), you will see an extra reticle floating around the virtual cockpit."

Why not just model a little 3D man as LSO (Landing Signal Officer) standing near the stern of the carrier waving those paddles to let you know how you're doing? If you can turn on 3D gunner people by putting the line "3dgunners=1" in the conf.ini file, why not add the line "3dLSO=1" to turn on a liitle LSO as an historical landing aid?

How about it - sound like something we should ask for in the next patch?

-HH- Beebop
10-29-2004, 11:53 PM
Good point and a good idea. In CFS2 there was an LSO boxout. Not very immersive but helpful. Once you got the hang of it you could turn him off.

However in this very video intensive game a fully animated LSo could cause a real framerate hit, not to mention all the time needed to code him into the game.
Now, IIRC, the Japanese used a light system. You can see it on the back of the IJN carriers. Although not correct for USN carriers (btw what did the British use, LSO's, lights, combo?) at least it would give us some sort of feedback. I wouldn't think it to be that hard to code. After all they coded that reticle, the lights couldn't be that tough.

Then again, as so many have pointed out, I'm not always the smartest guy in the world.

My 2 yen worth.

Bearcat99
10-30-2004, 12:00 AM
I agree..... its still ahoot though.. but an LSO would be good. Id like that better than lights...

MaxMhz
10-30-2004, 04:32 AM
So that's three settings for LSO allready http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
Oleg's gonne get busy (I hope)...

And man I wouldn't mind taking a lift down to the lower-decks either http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

SeaFireLIV
10-30-2004, 04:41 AM
Well, I thought about this too. Regarding landing lights, it appears they were not or very rarely used in combat due to threat of being spotted and even when all seemed clear there were always the danger of submarines.

Landing at night is hard, in my first campaign night mission, the Carrier was easier to see than expected - still crashed though...

I bought a modern carrier flight sim once and it had carrier people on deck with a little square to show your `take off- landing` man, but it was pretty choppy and I lost interest in it.