PDA

View Full Version : U-99 In trouble again

hueywolf123
08-20-2006, 04:17 PM
We were transferred from U-47, to U-99 (my lucky number, thanks commander 2.6), and on our first patrol we scored 71k, on the way back I had the genius idea of sneaking up to the mouth of Loch Ewe and wait for desert.
Well after being rammed at periscope depth by a C2, then hitting a mine. Our Damage control party were doing over time. Luckily the weather had turned foul so we at least were hidden. I had four wounded all of whom were on the tower, but did not leave their posts until all damages were repaired. Hull integrity 24%, no more swimming for us, port deisel destroyed, stbd deisel damaged. We returned to Willhelmshaven, but it took 8 days on 1/3rd speed as this was all we could manage. No periscopes, no electric motors, no aft batteries.
Upon our return, the boat looked pretty bad, we had four wound badges to hand out, my damage control team were all awarded for their gallant efforts to keep us afloat.
Tactical hint - In the GW mod, harbour raiding patrols should be issued with health warnings. I cannot underestimate the importance of Repair qualifications for crew members.
Patrol 3, U-99. We were sent to BE-31, so in another explosion of sheer brilliance, I decided we'd do the channel run. 30ks south of Dover, midnight, two costal freighters within sight, no moon. We slowed down so we would leave no wake and stalked both of them, matching speed for speed. As I looked over the nav map, I could hear odd little buzzing sounds, OOOPS! Alaaaarrrmmmmm! caught in a destroyers headlights, poop. We dove but not before being almost rammed (turning just in time) but we lost out four heroes from the previous patrol, all dead. Hull integrity 47%, major flooding in three compartments. Luckily we had several more qualified for repairs, so all flooding under control. 25m, with 12m under keel, depth charges dropped, luckily no where near us. I used the knot meter and slowed us to 1kt, rig for silent,........
2hrs real-time later, we lost contact with him, p-depth to look, nothing, no sound contacts. Surface the boat, repair team on deck and repair the casing damage.
Now a hard decision, eary into patrol, but not wanting to turn back unless we lose four more men. We can't have dead bodies on board & it will be a couple of weeks before we are back home. Sorry men, but this means a burial at sea (bring cursour over dead man, right click).
I'm not sure how badly the moral has been effected, but we'll need a target soon to cheer them up.
I am now only half way through the channel, it takes time at 1 kt submerged, but we are taking no chances. They know we are here and I'm expecting a DC pasting just south of Southampton. So best is only to surface at night, just long enough to recharge. We'll wait under if we have to. No more dead......
More tommorrow

hueywolf123
08-20-2006, 04:17 PM
We were transferred from U-47, to U-99 (my lucky number, thanks commander 2.6), and on our first patrol we scored 71k, on the way back I had the genius idea of sneaking up to the mouth of Loch Ewe and wait for desert.
Well after being rammed at periscope depth by a C2, then hitting a mine. Our Damage control party were doing over time. Luckily the weather had turned foul so we at least were hidden. I had four wounded all of whom were on the tower, but did not leave their posts until all damages were repaired. Hull integrity 24%, no more swimming for us, port deisel destroyed, stbd deisel damaged. We returned to Willhelmshaven, but it took 8 days on 1/3rd speed as this was all we could manage. No periscopes, no electric motors, no aft batteries.
Upon our return, the boat looked pretty bad, we had four wound badges to hand out, my damage control team were all awarded for their gallant efforts to keep us afloat.
Tactical hint - In the GW mod, harbour raiding patrols should be issued with health warnings. I cannot underestimate the importance of Repair qualifications for crew members.
Patrol 3, U-99. We were sent to BE-31, so in another explosion of sheer brilliance, I decided we'd do the channel run. 30ks south of Dover, midnight, two costal freighters within sight, no moon. We slowed down so we would leave no wake and stalked both of them, matching speed for speed. As I looked over the nav map, I could hear odd little buzzing sounds, OOOPS! Alaaaarrrmmmmm! caught in a destroyers headlights, poop. We dove but not before being almost rammed (turning just in time) but we lost out four heroes from the previous patrol, all dead. Hull integrity 47%, major flooding in three compartments. Luckily we had several more qualified for repairs, so all flooding under control. 25m, with 12m under keel, depth charges dropped, luckily no where near us. I used the knot meter and slowed us to 1kt, rig for silent,........
2hrs real-time later, we lost contact with him, p-depth to look, nothing, no sound contacts. Surface the boat, repair team on deck and repair the casing damage.
Now a hard decision, eary into patrol, but not wanting to turn back unless we lose four more men. We can't have dead bodies on board & it will be a couple of weeks before we are back home. Sorry men, but this means a burial at sea (bring cursour over dead man, right click).
I'm not sure how badly the moral has been effected, but we'll need a target soon to cheer them up.
I am now only half way through the channel, it takes time at 1 kt submerged, but we are taking no chances. They know we are here and I'm expecting a DC pasting just south of Southampton. So best is only to surface at night, just long enough to recharge. We'll wait under if we have to. No more dead......
More tommorrow

Shahed_Kazi
08-21-2006, 09:22 PM
Raided Loch Ewe 3 times, radio U-49 (my boot) for an entry map if you want one.

Tips

(Maybe spoliers for some so DON'T read if you don't want to know the way in)

Watch the trawlers, then mimic their path, use the peri under the water to spot mines, enter in daylight it's easier to see underwater. There is a subnet running from NE to SW at the approach (not entry) to Loch Ewe. The subnet is supported by mines from the SW to the NE. There are coastal batteries lining the inner East coast. In the Southwest end past the harbor and inland from the direction of the Nelson anchor, there is a safe corner to surface and reload, recharge. It can be done during the day in medium visibility without being detected, but safer to do it at night. The exit route must be identical to the entry. If you want you can try the other way from the right (looking from harbor perspectie), but the water there is very shallow, and there is a ridge which almost juts out of the water.

There mines in the English channel, from both sides, near the coast of France as well as Britain. Be aware. The worst enemy I found to be the Elco speedboat, they hover over you and call in the DDs and aircraft. The only channel run feasible surfaced is one in Heavy fog, and heavy percipitation.

Regrets for your dead, and wish you good luck.

Realjambo
08-22-2006, 05:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">so in another explosion of sheer brilliance, I decided we'd do the channel run. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LMAO at that quote Hueywolf! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

Seriously, a good post both yourself and Shahed - I'll bear this all in mid next time I go to Loch Ewe.