PDA

View Full Version : Help New to Game is there a Skip to encounter button

toddwr88
11-23-2005, 08:18 AM
I been playing other flight Sims for some time and most of them have a keyboard combo that you can use to skip ahead to where you first meet or encounter the enemy is there something like this on Pacific Fighters. I’m tired of flying for ever before getting to the real part of the mission.

toddwr88
11-23-2005, 08:18 AM
I been playing other flight Sims for some time and most of them have a keyboard combo that you can use to skip ahead to where you first meet or encounter the enemy is there something like this on Pacific Fighters. I’m tired of flying for ever before getting to the real part of the mission.

Low_Flyer_MkII
11-23-2005, 08:21 AM
Afraid not m'dear. You can press [ or ] to speed things and slow things down though. Useful on long-hauls but can catch you unawares when the feathers start flying.

BaldieJr
11-23-2005, 08:25 AM
Give me realism and half of a game!

DmdSeeker
11-23-2005, 08:26 AM
There's a command called "time skip" which does pretty much what you want.

You'll find it in the "controls" menu; and you'll need to map a key to it.

Skycat_2
11-24-2005, 12:44 AM
That "Time Skip" isn't what he's asking about -- he wants something more like the "warp to next waypoint" in the CFS series or "skip to next encounter" in EAW. The FB/AEP/PF series does not have this, only the ability increase or decrease the game from the basic 1x speed.

As was said earlier, the [ and ] keys speed up and slow down the progress of time; if you put the game on Autopilot in an offline mission you can bump the speed up to 8x and watch your plane follow all of its waypoints. PF introduced the ability to increase the speed to 12x (if I recall correctly) but when you activate that speed the screen goes black until you toggle the function off. I don't recall if the plane goes into autopilot mode automatically when you apply 12x speed.

Cold Meat Platter
11-24-2005, 08:58 AM
when timeskip is activated autopiilot is engaged until the next waypoint is reached or an enemy is sighted when it returns to time x1 and manual flight (unless autopilot was in when timeskip was activated in which case it remains on).
one note of warning, if you have a FFB stick make sure its centred if your hand's not on it while timeskipping cause when it returns to manual flight unexpectedly and the sticks off at a corner its spin city daddy-o.
pip pip

DaimonSyrius
11-24-2005, 09:00 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Skycat_2:
That "Time Skip" isn't what he's asking about -- he wants something more like the "warp to next waypoint" in the CFS series or "skip to next encounter" in EAW. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I would think the "Time Skip" feature is precisely what toddwr88 was asking, or very close to it. I haven't used it myself, but checked ReadmePF.rtf in the main game folder:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Time Skip: This feature allows players to quickly transfer between mission waypointsâ in cases whenâ flying normally wouldâ take too long. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Skycat_2:
The FB/AEP/PF series does not have this, only the ability increase or decrease the game from the basic 1x speed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ehhmm... well, that wouldn't be correct info, according to the game documentation. Anyway, the best advice for toddwr88 would be the generally good advice of just Read The Famous Manual (and readme's) that come with the game and patches http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Since I've got the readme already open, here's the complete paragraph about Time Skip, as a starting aid:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Time Skip: This feature allows players to quickly transfer between mission waypointsâ in cases whenâ flying normally wouldâ take too long. When using this feature the 3D render is completely turned off, and only the in-game clock is shown in the bottom left corner of your screen. During time skip the game does fully model all normal AI aspects, such as fuel consumption, pathfinding, etc. In other words, all game processes run as usual, only in accelerated time.
Please note that this feature heavily relies on your machine's processing power, and its general speed will depend on your hardware specs and the number of AI aircraft and other objects in the mission.
No key is assigned to this feature by default. You will need to bind one in the Controls section of the game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I would guess that, since the display is turned off when Time-Skipping, the player's aircraft is also set on autopilot.

Cheers, and welcome toddwr88 btw http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
S.

thefarb2
11-24-2005, 03:11 PM
best way to go here is to go to full mission builder and move your plane closer to action in an existing mission, or write new missions, I have a lot of these and you can put them into single mission section and go right to them. also, some maps load faster than others if load time is a concern, iwo online loads real fast.

Skycat_2
11-24-2005, 08:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DaimonSyrius:
I haven't used it myself, but checked ReadmePF.rtf in the main game folder ...
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Enough said.

Try it out and then we'll discuss how wrong I am.

Tully__
11-24-2005, 09:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DmdSeeker:
There's a command called "time skip" which does pretty much what you want.

You'll find it in the "controls" menu; and you'll need to map a key to it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only available with Pacific Fighters or the merged install Forgotten Battles/Ace's Expansion Pack/Pacific Fighters. Any other version of the game only has the time compression controls.

Even then the skip to next action button is only faster than the fastest time compression setting on top end computers.

plumps_
11-24-2005, 11:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tully__:
Even then the skip to next action button is only faster than the fastest time compression setting on top end computers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
As the readme says the speed also depends on the number of AI objects in the mission. With my P4 2.6 GHz machine I've increased it to 150 x in one mission. But there were no other AI objects besides my aircraft...

If you're looking for some missions without looong flying times before you encounter an enemy check out the QDPFSMP mission pack you'll find in my signature.

DaimonSyrius
11-25-2005, 04:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DaimonSyrius:
checked ReadmePF.rtf in the main game folder ...
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Enough said.

Try it out and then we'll discuss how wrong I am. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the thread starter is already getting the info he was asking for, and relevant sources have been pointed out (manuals, readme's, and in-game controls assignments), so there wouldn't be any need for the 'you is wrong' discussion subject you're proposing, really http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Cheers,
S.

Skycat_2
11-25-2005, 10:55 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Okay, just for fun I'll talk at myself for a few minutes ...

When I used the 'Time Skip' function in Pacific Fighters for the first time I was very unimpressed by the new feature. In reality what happens is that the screen goes black and all you see is a digital chronometer ticking off the time. Yes, 'Time Skip' is a misnomer in my opinion, because the game continues but at a much faster speed and with the video turned off. Sitting around and watching a black screen with no sound for several minutes is more of a drag than just putting the game on autopilot and cranking up the speed to 8x -- at least by doing that I'd have something more interesting to watch than a Timex watch.

I was unaware that it is possible to accelerate the time to up to 150x normal speed. My understanding of the feature and my personal experience caused me to believe that 14x or 16x was about the maximum (in effect, only doubling FB's maximum time compression). Regardless, I am not able to get that kind of blazing speed on my computer in a normal DGen mission.

So after trying the 'Time Skip' a few times to see what all the rave was about, I stopped using it completely. This was almost a year ago so my recollection on how the feature works is admittedly a little hazy. But my point is that I have tried out the 'Time Skip' feature so my knowledge of it goes beyond Reading The Famous Manual.

So why was I thoroughly disappointed by 'Time Skip'? Because I expected a feature that truly allowed me to skip time like in similar sims. In European Air War you can instantly jump to the battle just by hitting a key on the keyboard -- even if that event takes place over Berlin and you're just taking off from Boxted. It happens Instantly, I tell you. Did I mention that it is INSTANT? I mean Bang! you are there as soon as you hit the key. In CFS-2 and -3 the Warp feature puts your plane on autopilot and speeds the time into hyperdrive so you arrive at the next waypoint in only two or three seconds. CFS-3 cuts off the Warp if enemies are in your immediate area and won't let you use it to escape until the enemies are outside of a certain range.

I hope that toddwr88 has found the answer he was looking for, in this thread or elsewhere.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif