PDA

View Full Version : Navigation

TacticalYak3
11-16-2004, 02:19 PM
Just wondering how folks/squads that prefer to fly without the aid of the Speedbar and map are doing in PF? Obviously you have no land features to assist, but still have the compass, a waypoint indicator (in some planes anyway), and sun. Probably not that much of a difference, but maybe less enjoyable then studying maps and learning landmarks in FB/AEP?

Also, related to navigation how about the Radio Comm that now lets you get a vector to your target - has this option sort of ruined the experience (i.e., can "cheat" to get heading to combat/target zone). This of course is not an issue online.

TacticalYak3
11-16-2004, 02:19 PM
Just wondering how folks/squads that prefer to fly without the aid of the Speedbar and map are doing in PF? Obviously you have no land features to assist, but still have the compass, a waypoint indicator (in some planes anyway), and sun. Probably not that much of a difference, but maybe less enjoyable then studying maps and learning landmarks in FB/AEP?

Also, related to navigation how about the Radio Comm that now lets you get a vector to your target - has this option sort of ruined the experience (i.e., can "cheat" to get heading to combat/target zone). This of course is not an issue online.

Fliger747
11-16-2004, 03:06 PM
Actually navigarion by dead reconing is both a challenge and fun for those intellectualy inclined. I dug out my dad's USN Mk2 plotting board (from WWII) and used it to work out an out and back problem, with a couple of turning legs and a moving (on various courses) carrier. With the ranges at which one can spot the ships, good navigation and a good lookout is necessary!

Navigation was part of what made a Naval Aviator, one did not last long without those skills.

ACmisterE
11-16-2004, 04:46 PM
anyone have a good tutorial on navigating? I'd love to learn.

initjust
11-16-2004, 06:11 PM
Go to Sim-Outhouse. Look in the CFS2/Downloads/Utilities and look for the Nav Tutorials posted by VF15_Muto.

You may find something in there that will be of some help.

However, those tutorials cover a bunch of stuff that won't apply in PF since PF doesn't model most of the conditions that impact navigation.

There are two tutorials, Parts 1-4 and Part 5.

They take you from a basic through a fairly advanced discussion of navigating complete with calculating and compensating for wind drift, air density, IAS/TAS/GS, magnetic deviation and more.

As I said, a lot of the stuff they cover will not apply in PF but you may find it interesting none the less.