PDA

View Full Version : New laptop "fn" to use "F1-F12"

Muddy17
11-05-2011, 11:48 PM
Hi all. got a new laptop and thing are good all around except when pressing the F keys I have to depress the FN key to use common key strokes.
IE. F2 brightens screen and F6 turns up volume instead of what im used to for last 10 years LMAO.. how do I disable this on my new HP Pavilion dv7.

Muddy17
11-05-2011, 11:48 PM
Hi all. got a new laptop and thing are good all around except when pressing the F keys I have to depress the FN key to use common key strokes.
IE. F2 brightens screen and F6 turns up volume instead of what im used to for last 10 years LMAO.. how do I disable this on my new HP Pavilion dv7.

Muddy17
11-05-2011, 11:50 PM
PS-- the frame rates rock on this right out of the box with everything maxed..

Luno13
11-06-2011, 12:27 AM
Hi,

I had the same problem when I bought an HP laptop for my mom to replace her ancient desktop. I decided to run on Il-2 to experience what real frame-rates were like (I still have an ancient laptop and play Il-2 on it when I'm not home, which is 90% of the time).

To solve the problem, go into your Bios menu and turn off that feature. I forget the exact steps, but I think you can get into the menu by pressing F10 right as the computer begins to boot.

Check online for the exact steps and sub-menus. It's already been a year since I did that operation.

Muddy17
11-06-2011, 12:46 AM
Hey Luno thanks for that ill look into it and if anybody can elaborate on you info it would be great. I get lil nervous dealing with bios.

By the way the frame rates are so exelent im gona consider COD only because this LT blows away my 3 year old tower.
Im feeling the love on this rig...

Tully__
11-06-2011, 03:51 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Muddy17:
By the way the frame rates are so exelent im gona consider COD ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
CoD doesn't support laptop video cards and wont run on most laptops, even high end gaming laptops. The few exceptions I've seen have been older laptops not recent ones, and the resulting performance has been marginal at best. In most cases on laptop CoD will not even start, in most of the remaining laptop cases the screen goes black when attempting to start a mission.

mmitch10
11-06-2011, 04:33 AM
I have a Pavilion dv6 and had the same problem. Here's a guide to turning the functions on and off: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfr...&jumpid=reg_R1002_US (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02035108&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_US)

This resets the function keys to their normal use, and if I want to change, say, brightness I press fn+F3.

As for CoD, I can also run IL2 maxed out but CoD is an unplayable slideshow on this laptop. However, I've managed to get Rise of Flight running at decent frame rates when most of the options are set to low.

Bremspropeller
11-06-2011, 10:32 AM
I put my views on the numbers and left the F-keys entirely alone....

Muddy17
11-09-2011, 10:29 AM
Hey thanks alot guys, MMITCH your info hit it on the head.
As for getting COD well, thanks for that info as well, i will be skipping that.

mmitch10
11-09-2011, 01:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Muddy17:
Hey thanks alot guys, MMITCH your info hit it on the head.
As for getting COD well, thanks for that info as well, i will be skipping that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm glad it worked http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

As for the CoD issue, to be fair we have different laptops. I suggest asking over at the 1C forum if anyone with a dv7 has got CoD to run acceptably.