PDA

View Full Version : Torpedo bombers, Betty, Later War Dive Bombers, Recon...what else?

ReligiousZealot
12-27-2004, 12:18 AM
I know there's been a lot of stuff about the American Aircraft Manufacturers licensing issues (where's the honor?! Does someone ALWAYS have to get paid?). I figured I'd make this post reiterating the previous ones about aircraft people would like to be able to see added/made flyable. I realize this isn't the suggestion forum, but this is merely me trying to aide the community in coming up with a list of aircraft they'd like to see in an ?expansion? (I haven't given up hope yet http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif) or future patch for PF, perhaps even community freeware. I've taken the time to sort it into categories with a brief text describing why I personally would like to see this type of craft added. I tried to keep it simple with aircraft that don't require tons of modelled positions (The Japanese Reconnaissance Flying Boat would be a lot of work, but hey, I wouldn't mind taking it for a spin).

Reconnaissance/Rescue Aircraft:
There's just something about being that lone plane flying for several hours hunting for the enemy fleet, ducking in and out of cloud banks, and maybe picking up a downed pilot or two.
PBY/PBM Catalina
Vought-Sikorsky OS2U-3 Kingfisher
Fairey Fulmar or Fairey Firefly (I can't find a reliable source to specify if either of these airplanes were deployed to the Pacific, being as they usually resided on a carrier, I would assume there would have been a few with the Royal Navy when they arrived)

Carrier borne Torpedo Bombers:
Come on...I'm sick of using an A-20 or B-25 to streak low across the waves to drop my torpedo at the enemy ship...something about flying in real low praying those tracers don't hit your single engine craft and send you into the waves a few feet below...plus it'd be nice to actually be able to actually use a torpedo site with the torpedo.
Douglas TBD-1 Devastator
Nakajima B5N2 Type 97 "Kate"
Grumman TBM-1C Avenger
Nakajima B6N2 Tenzan "Jill"
Fairey Barracuda Even the British Royal Navy had/needs Torpedo bombers! Reference Here for Fairey (http://www.fleetairarmarchive.net/Aircraft/Barracuda.htm)

Dive Bombers:
One can really not have enough...some later war variants would be nice...yeah, I know there weren't a lot of these produced, but it would be nice to fly them.
Curtiss SB2C-1C Helldiver
Yokosuka D4Y1 Suisei "Judy"

Night Fighters:
P-61 Black Widow
The P-61 is just plain cool...it'd be fun to fly it and intercept some G4M Bettys...spraying hot lead into their bellies from the turret atop the P-61.

Medium Bombers:
I don't really feel like listing everything here that would fit into this category, all I will say is more Japanese bombers would be much appreciated along with maybe the B-26 and A-26...as for me, I'm quite satisfied with the current selection for American Medium bombers.

Heavy Bombers:
I realize that modeling everything would take considerable time, but once again, I'm just making a list for the community...it would be a load of fun to fly in a formation of 4 engine bombers.
Consolidated B-24 "Liberator"
Boeing B-29 "Superfortress"
Boeing B-17 "Flying Fortress"

Perhaps an expansion pack is in order? I'd gladly fork over some more cash for more Pacific theater aircraft...after all more flyable aircraft and aircraft in general = more immersion and fun.

I close this post by saying, I think that even if there aren't elaborate cockpit details/flight schematics available for these planes, that an aircraft with a decent cockpit and FM would be good enough for all of us in the community. 1C:Maddox has given us a great game, and we as a community would gladly accept these planes even if they aren't perfect, as long as they fly somewhat like the real things, we'll all be happy.

ReligiousZealot
12-27-2004, 12:18 AM
I know there's been a lot of stuff about the American Aircraft Manufacturers licensing issues (where's the honor?! Does someone ALWAYS have to get paid?). I figured I'd make this post reiterating the previous ones about aircraft people would like to be able to see added/made flyable. I realize this isn't the suggestion forum, but this is merely me trying to aide the community in coming up with a list of aircraft they'd like to see in an ?expansion? (I haven't given up hope yet http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif) or future patch for PF, perhaps even community freeware. I've taken the time to sort it into categories with a brief text describing why I personally would like to see this type of craft added. I tried to keep it simple with aircraft that don't require tons of modelled positions (The Japanese Reconnaissance Flying Boat would be a lot of work, but hey, I wouldn't mind taking it for a spin).

There's just something about being that lone plane flying for several hours hunting for the enemy fleet, ducking in and out of cloud banks, and maybe picking up a downed pilot or two.
PBY/PBM Catalina
Fairey Fulmar or Fairey Firefly (I can't find a reliable source to specify if either of these airplanes were deployed to the Pacific, being as they usually resided on a carrier, I would assume there would have been a few with the Royal Navy when they arrived)

Come on...I'm sick of using an A-20 or B-25 to streak low across the waves to drop my torpedo at the enemy ship...something about flying in real low praying those tracers don't hit your single engine craft and send you into the waves a few feet below...plus it'd be nice to actually be able to actually use a torpedo site with the torpedo.
Douglas TBD-1 Devastator
Grumman TBM-1C Avenger
Fairey Barracuda Even the British Royal Navy had/needs Torpedo bombers! Reference Here for Fairey (http://www.fleetairarmarchive.net/Aircraft/Barracuda.htm)

Dive Bombers:
One can really not have enough...some later war variants would be nice...yeah, I know there weren't a lot of these produced, but it would be nice to fly them.
Curtiss SB2C-1C Helldiver
Yokosuka D4Y1 Suisei "Judy"

Night Fighters:
P-61 Black Widow
The P-61 is just plain cool...it'd be fun to fly it and intercept some G4M Bettys...spraying hot lead into their bellies from the turret atop the P-61.

Medium Bombers:
I don't really feel like listing everything here that would fit into this category, all I will say is more Japanese bombers would be much appreciated along with maybe the B-26 and A-26...as for me, I'm quite satisfied with the current selection for American Medium bombers.

Heavy Bombers:
I realize that modeling everything would take considerable time, but once again, I'm just making a list for the community...it would be a load of fun to fly in a formation of 4 engine bombers.
Consolidated B-24 "Liberator"
Boeing B-29 "Superfortress"
Boeing B-17 "Flying Fortress"

Perhaps an expansion pack is in order? I'd gladly fork over some more cash for more Pacific theater aircraft...after all more flyable aircraft and aircraft in general = more immersion and fun.

I close this post by saying, I think that even if there aren't elaborate cockpit details/flight schematics available for these planes, that an aircraft with a decent cockpit and FM would be good enough for all of us in the community. 1C:Maddox has given us a great game, and we as a community would gladly accept these planes even if they aren't perfect, as long as they fly somewhat like the real things, we'll all be happy.

WildeSau
12-27-2004, 09:24 AM
bump

PlaneEater
12-27-2004, 09:27 AM
Many of those aircraft are not allowed now.

Sorry.

ReligiousZealot
12-27-2004, 10:12 AM
Yeah, I know some of those planes aren't allowed, I'm just posting what people have said previously about what they'd like to see added. It's ludicrous that American Companies nowadays have to be so greedy, I mean come on, does it ever occur to them that maybe 1C:Maddox is honoring their great planes from decades ago? Pacific Fighters gives people a chance to view what some of their relatives and other noble men alike saw from the cockpits of their state of the art airplanes, that should've been payment enough. Let's just hope these licensing issues get worked out and there can be more American [and other nation's] aircraft additions to PF.

ReligiousZealot
12-27-2004, 10:27 PM
[bump]

darkhorizon11
12-27-2004, 11:44 PM
Yeah, there have been countless posts of what we want/need, I recently posted a topic in GD where I listed what I think were going to see in the next patch that contains some aircraft.

"I close this post by saying, I think that even if there aren't elaborate cockpit details/flight schematics available for these planes, that an aircraft with a decent cockpit and FM would be good enough for all of us in the community. 1C:Maddox has given us a great game, and we as a community would gladly accept these planes even if they aren't perfect, as long as they fly somewhat like the real things, we'll all be happy."

Haha, theres no such thing as close and guessing in this game. Its either perfect or its ****. And even when it is perfect people still claim its ****. On the bright side though you may think theres very little info on something but some way some how us IL2 junkies have always found performance stats., dimensions, and records for everything in this game. This forum is capable of anything!

Lethal_Hobo
12-27-2004, 11:45 PM
Well said, I agree to the fullest of your post!

BUMP!

xTHRUDx
12-28-2004, 12:02 AM
pby is in the works

see here;
http://www.netwings.org/dcforum/DCForumID43/1326.html

and here;
http://www.netwings.org/dcforum/DCForumID43/1303.html

ReligiousZealot
12-28-2004, 12:05 AM
well said darkhorizon11, I'm just trying to get the ideas out there...I know that perfection is what PF and IL2 players demand, but just to actually be able to see the aforementioned aircraft made flyable would be a start...at least then it'd give us all more stuff to toy with and, dare I say it, complain about http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Saunders1953
12-28-2004, 01:03 AM
Only because you asked....

Objects:
Flak towers
Dug-in gun emplacements for AA
Circular sandbag wall to fit Flak 88's base

Ships:
Atlanta Class AA Cruiser
Kongo Class IJN BB
Americam PT Boats

A/C ground characteristics:
Like many others, I would like the ability to park "regular" A/C on base for explosive effect when hit, and to taxi to runway

Athosd
12-28-2004, 01:18 AM
I was in a toy store today and noticed a series of model aircraft suitable for junior modellers (snap together 10 or so parts); all the planes in the series bore the names of their real life counterpart - except the F4U which was titled "Scout 4".
Nice one Northrop http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif. Before I became aware of this corporation's policy of raiding history based hobbies I would have put the naming error down to some fool in the marketing unit.

Back on topic - that's a good list of extras RZ; Xanty was working on the Kingfisher (external model looked just about done, may be on hold now due to the trademark thing). Last I heard Gibbage was still hammering away on a flyable PBY.
There has also been some talk of new reference material supplied by Japanese fans that may result in a number of new types being modelled (fingers and toes crossed for flyable B5N).

Salute

Athos

Baletzan
12-28-2004, 04:45 AM
Agreed 98%. You earned a bump.
BUMP

ReligiousZealot
12-28-2004, 08:49 AM
Saunders1953, I didn't realize I had forgotten ships, objects...etc..it would be nice to have more of those added, and a naval strike option in the QMB would be nice as well....Athosd, glad to hear about the Kingfisher, and I know from a previous post on this thread about the PBY, you got any links for the Kingfisher work?

Old_Canuck
12-28-2004, 11:59 AM
Flyable B-24 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Athosd
12-28-2004, 09:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ReligiousZealot:
Athosd, glad to hear about the Kingfisher, and I know from a previous post on this thread about the PBY, you got any links for the Kingfisher work? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Puff puff - took a while to find this link, pity the search engine is cough cr@p cough.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=26310365&m=2411099522

Cheers

Athos

ReligiousZealot
12-28-2004, 10:07 PM
Wow, thanks...I guess I could've done that myself, but I was being lazy (not really, I thought it was on a different webpage, not in the forums) http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

RiesenSchnauzer
12-28-2004, 10:20 PM
Did anybody else miss the obvious question that if all ubi has to do to include vought aircraft is to give them a made up name then why all the excuses about not adding them?

Zarathael
12-29-2004, 01:38 AM
I just think Oleg needs to hire a couple of entry level schmucks for his 3-d modeling department. One who happens to be named Grumman, and one who happens to be named Northrop. Have these guys sign off on the models. Problem solved.

ReligiousZealot
01-01-2005, 10:44 PM
I like your idea, haha...anyways, I wish this thread would get stickied so that it wouldn't keep getting pushed to the bottom - the point of it was to try to stop repeat posters complaining about things they want added, and to bring the ideas to a generalized concept. That way one of us could send it to Oleg as things the community would like to see added and his team would have something to work off of.

ReligiousZealot
01-02-2005, 07:45 PM
[bump]

IV_JG51_Razor
01-03-2005, 12:41 AM
I'd like to see Oleg shorten up the pay out of the arresting cables! Making a nice slow (70Kts) landing, catching the #1 wire, and finally coming to a stop abeam the aft 5" mount is really a bummer http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

I'd like to see Oleg bump up the speeds of all the carriers in the game a little bit. This would go a long ways towards making up for the lack of wind in the game.

There's a bunch more things I'd like to see Oleg do, but these two are readily doable, and I don't think would require any changes to the game engine, additional art work, or graphics changes. They would greatly enhance the carrier operations for single and coop missions.

ReligiousZealot
01-16-2005, 12:00 AM
Flight dynamics aren't the greatest at the moment, and lots of things could stand improvement...I agree with you 100% on improving the FM/carrier speeds

One13
01-16-2005, 07:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ReligiousZealot:

PBY/PBM Catalina

Douglas TBD-1 Devastator
Grumman TBM-1C Avenger
Fairey Barracuda Even the British Royal Navy had/needs Torpedo bombers! http://www.fleetairarmarchive.net/Aircraft/Barracuda.htm

Medium Bombers:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Fairey Fireflys were used in the Pacific. there is a good article in this months FlyPast magazine about a RN pilots career. He flew Fulmers, Seafires and ended up flying Fireflys from HMS Indefatigable in the Pacific.
He shot down a two Ki-51's during his time there.Barracudas were also used.
It would be good to have some more Japanese medium bombers as well, Ki48, Ki-21, Ki-49 or the Ki-67 would all make good additions even as AI.

m.manson2004
01-16-2005, 11:10 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PlaneEater:
Many of those aircraft are not allowed now.

Sorry. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

that doesnt mean you cant render the present torp bombers flyable right?

manson

AlmightyTallest
01-16-2005, 04:33 PM
My list,

F4U-4
B25-H
B25-J Hard nose strafer
Torpedo planes flyable
P-47N

Glad to see more Japanese aircraft in the works, just would like to see some American planes that were in the late war campaigns with some of the new Japanese aircraft on the way.

I would agree that flyable Torpedo planes would be great for this sim, and add a whole new dimention to it.

m.manson has a point I think. Since some of the planes are already represented in the sim, what is stopping them from being made flyable?

Likewise, if the damage was supposedly already done by including the P-47 and F4U, what's stopping them from simply adding a subvariant of the same plane?

It's still a Chance-Vought F4U Corsair whether it's a -1 Corsair or a -4 Corsair. Same goes for the Republic Thunderbolt among others. I would like to know more about this issue, because it's fustrating to simply be told that a certain aircraft will simply not be modeled, or is "not allowed" even if you were willing to pay for it, and help to get it modeled in this sim.

Yimmy
01-16-2005, 04:38 PM
Is this just the American companies being a pain?

I mean, no offence to Americans, but most other countries don't tend to be so extremely Capitalist and happy to sue each other, why not add other nations aircraft instead... Perhaps the Firefly, Baracuda etc.

harryklein66
01-16-2005, 06:59 PM
I would like to see
D4Y1/2(f) http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif
and B6N(ia/f),C6N(ia),Ki21(ia),Ki27(f)

AlmightyTallest
01-16-2005, 07:48 PM
Yimmy, from what we on the outside can piece together only American aircraft are affected.

No one really knows what's really going on. We've only been told that when we wanted certain American aircraft included, that they aren't allowed, or that they won't be included, or that they can't be done.

For example, the P-61 was being worked on, and the poor guy was told that it won't be included in the sim because of this issue. It's a shame he can't share his year and a half of work with the rest of us because of this. And the thing is that we don't know exactly what the issue is!

Same issue with the F4U-4, P-47N, and even the modeler who made the P-47D cockpit among other planes. He was willing to volunteer his time to improve upon his origional cockpit model that is already included in PF, but was told he can't.

Here's his thread for the P-47:

http://www.netwings.org/dcforum/DCForumID43/1304.html

P-61 Thread:

http://www.netwings.org/dcforum/DCForumID43/1314.html

Somethings going on, and it certainly must not be pretty. I just hope it can be resolved somehow, someway, and hopefully soon.