PDA

View Full Version : Best sub ?

Shahed_Kazi
08-24-2006, 05:42 AM
Given 40k renown to buy anything you could, what would you buy, and why ?

Shahed_Kazi
08-24-2006, 05:42 AM
Given 40k renown to buy anything you could, what would you buy, and why ?

Gmuno
08-24-2006, 05:50 AM
VII C/41 with all extras except the Flak-Falle-Tower. Best german sub in the war that got scores.

mariuszj1939
08-24-2006, 06:00 AM
I bought IXC - a lot of torps however patrol grids are far away like Port of Spain , Cape Town , Freetown. Still like "old" VIIB but always remember she has not enough torps so I could not attack every "worth" targets.

Goose_Green
08-24-2006, 06:04 AM
I'm torn between the VII and IX versions, never had the VII-C/41 as I have never lasted that long into the game.

I like the extended range and torpedo complement of the IXD2, but sometimes think she takes too long to submerge when in a hurry. I have always liked the VIIC becouse of it's dive time.

So, the jury's still out as far as I'm concerned.

NaKacu
08-24-2006, 07:39 AM
VIIC/42 has my vote.

I see it differently: I am set on the final tonnage not tonnage per patrol. While carribean cruise with type IX will get you 50+, two short trips in around Gribraltar that will roughly take you the same amount of time with a type VII will give you sufficient results. That and the fact that Type VII is easier to handle, faster diving and the VIIC/42 can go deep.... very deeep.

But than again, it's all about wasting time in a fun way, so whatever your objective is....

Tonnage per patrol = IX
Tonnage at the end = VII

Danelov
08-24-2006, 08:41 AM
The VIIC/41 for the whole war .The IXC or IXD are also good to end of 1942, after his slow dive speed is a big handicap and can be easy attacked, damaged or destroyed by the planes.Yes, you have more torpedos but you can also pay the fort price.Things are better in area with weakest enemy air activities like South Atlantic or Indian Ocean.

Bootsmann0815
08-24-2006, 08:44 AM
In a way,you can have the best of both worlds by starting at 2nd flotilla (Lorient) to get a IX boat straight away for the extra torpedo load, and then as soon as possible transfer to 7th flotilla (St. Nazaire) to increase the likelihood of getting patrol grids closer to home. Note the increased Allied air cover in the waters around Britain, though, where the slower dive time of the IX might well become a liability. Alternatively, use SHIII Commander and set the patrol grid of your choice manually (option available for any boat, any time, any patrol). My personal preference is a IX boat (any version) with patrol grids set maually for mid-ocean along the convoy routes marked on the map. I pick patrol squares along the diagonal from the centre of the AK square to the centre of the DH square. That gives you reasonable patrol lengths, not too much attention from the air until very late in the war (except for the unavoidable Bay of Biscay transits), and usually a satisfying amount of potential targets.

NaKacu
08-24-2006, 08:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">get a IX boat straight away for the extra torpedo load, and then as soon as possible transfer to 7th flotilla (St. Nazaire) to increase the likelihood of getting patrol grids closer to home </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agree. But don't attempt this if you want reality in mind!

Btw... once I did that and found that my type IX was too big for one of the docks in the type VII docks so I endeed up with a cool bug -- the sub was glued to the dock.

Foehammer-1
08-24-2006, 04:38 PM
XXI, definitely. I had one of those before, and loved it. When you use the mod that fixes the snorkel/radar bug, it becomes unstoppable. Almost. If not, then I'd go with a IX/D2. I have it right now and use it for my story patrols. Never had it before, and i guess that was a mistake. Besides, you dont need to go to your patrol grid. With the huge tonnage opportunities, it is easy to rack up huge amounts of renown. I make at least 2500 per patrol. A bit of that comes from planes, so buy those guns!

Shahed_Kazi
08-24-2006, 04:50 PM
I have the IX out of L'Orient now, hwo do I get the D2 would love 4 flak !

WilhelmSchulz.
08-24-2006, 05:06 PM
My Trusty U-124 IXB.

GoldenEagle8
08-24-2006, 06:50 PM
1, What is the difference between the VIIC and the VIIC/41 and VIIC/42??

2, My favorite so far, would be the VIIC, close to undetectable when having anti sonar and silent running. Close to undetectable, not totaly. Close.

WilhelmSchulz.
08-24-2006, 06:59 PM
Diving depth and the VIIC/42 has 2 extra torpedos.

hardhans1
08-25-2006, 03:13 AM
VIIB every time without fail.

Baldricks_Mate
08-25-2006, 10:50 AM
The boat that is like a SUV crossed with a Ferrari. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

XXI.

All that is missing is the cruise missiles http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Foehammer-1
08-25-2006, 11:32 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shahed_Kazi:
I have the IX out of L'Orient now, hwo do I get the D2 would love 4 flak ! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You gotta wait till it becomes available. Sometime in late '43 I believe. And for those who are wondering, XXI is available sometime in summer of 1944

Rab09
08-25-2006, 03:08 PM
I have to agree with NaKacu in that it's the final tonage that counts. For me it's the VIIC/41 (only one I've gotten so far). I can get 30,000+ tons per patrol with it and for me thats good enough.