PDA

View Full Version : Petition for Skinning

jcikal
06-03-2005, 10:21 AM
For the powers that be at IL-2, Pacific Fighters and Add-ons:

Could you please enterntain the idea of allowing us mere users to be able to skin at least the ships and some objects like tanks, hangars etc? The game could be so much more realistic/fun if we could only skin at least the ships/tanks. Please? Pretty please? Thanks for reading.

jcikal
06-03-2005, 10:21 AM
For the powers that be at IL-2, Pacific Fighters and Add-ons:

Could you please enterntain the idea of allowing us mere users to be able to skin at least the ships and some objects like tanks, hangars etc? The game could be so much more realistic/fun if we could only skin at least the ships/tanks. Please? Pretty please? Thanks for reading.

Brain32
06-03-2005, 10:30 AM
I think skining tanks,ships, etc. is a good idea. You got my vote http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

goshikisen
06-03-2005, 10:36 AM
Great idea... Maddox Games should open up all objects for 3rd Party skinning.

csThor
06-03-2005, 11:49 AM
I severely doubt it will happen. As it is some of my ideas (squadron-specific skins for BoB) were met with sceptism as it would place an enormous strain on the memory of the computer. I hope I can coax Oleg into giving us squadron-specific skins at least for the german fighter units (which had highly indivisual camo schemes). I know next to nothing about the RAF so I'm talking about the LW only.

But ground objects and ships - this would be a tad too much. Maybe the stock texture could be replaced later if there's a better one available.

jcikal
06-03-2005, 12:19 PM
Gee its not like we're asking to change the models or the game engine, just the skins on some of the objects like the ships/tanks at least. As it is, I don't think there would be a problem from the publisher's/developer's standpoint in endangering any future offerings of addons, it's just changing the skin on at least some of the objects. Again, pretty please? Thanks again for reading.

KOM.Nausicaa
06-06-2005, 11:13 AM
It would be great, but it would strain the memory, yes...unluckily. Especially in MP the "skindownload" would get difficult to manage.

Bearcat99
06-06-2005, 07:05 PM
The best solution would be to make the default aircraft defineable. That way custom skins could be used as the default skins.. whatever skin you had defined as the default on your PC. The drawback with that is that someone would put bright red skins as default skins to spot bogies better... in other words use it as a cheat.... The only way that would work would be if there were two default settings on the server side.... 3 all together as far as skins go.... 1)Skin download 2)Defineable Default skins and 3)Default skins... That way a server host could set what he liked.... if he knew he was flying with people who had character then he could set the defineable.. in a open DF server he could set game default. I dont think we will see skinnable objects like buildings and ships.. although it would be nice, but I think I saw something about skinnable banners.

ElAurens
06-07-2005, 04:48 PM
We just need Hammerd and Canon to make all the default skins.

Be sure.

Chuck_Older
06-07-2005, 07:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by csThor:
I severely doubt it will happen. As it is some of my ideas (squadron-specific skins for BoB) were met with sceptism as it would place an enormous strain on the memory of the computer. I hope I can coax Oleg into giving us squadron-specific skins at least for the german fighter units (which had highly indivisual camo schemes). I know next to nothing about the RAF so I'm talking about the LW only.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hope you're succesful. Even if it's a feature that we can't use all that well now, we are on the brink of new PC technology as always. Changing unit camo schemes would be very useful. Not everyone is an online player, after all, and it could just be turned off by the host. Personally, this feature would have been so useful for a campaign I made. Somehow work getting static aircraft skins changeable, too http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif It would also be great if higher numbers were available for aircraft; voice recordings and new decals is all it would take, wouldn't it? Could be quite handy

Fennec_P
06-08-2005, 05:31 PM
Think of how long it would take to make custom skins for units and so forth...

Planes come with 2 or 3 default skins for that reason. There's no other limitation, the skins only take up 1 meg of HDD each (maybe 4-8mb each in BOB, depending if they use 16bit or 256 color).