PDA

View Full Version : A FEW WORDS-QUESTIONS

RedHornDevil
02-01-2007, 11:50 PM
Ahoy , buddies http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/touche.gif

I have the 1.4b ( http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif )

And i search for a WORKING MOD that gives you refueling capabilities.Please tell me if you know any the one i tryied is not working ...( <span class="ev_code_RED">milk_en1.1(1.4ready)</span> ).

And i need to ask:
1st. what year was the "BLACK MAY"? 1943?
2nd. later in the career in SHIII do i operate in the pasific or the caribean?
3rd. i thing the 1.4b adds subnet and minefields
i)what is sub net?
ii)how i am warned about minefields?
Also anyone you like to be buddy please ppm me to add you to my list.
-C. Red out-

RedHornDevil
02-01-2007, 11:50 PM

And i search for a WORKING MOD that gives you refueling capabilities.Please tell me if you know any the one i tryied is not working ...( <span class="ev_code_RED">milk_en1.1(1.4ready)</span> ).

And i need to ask:
i)what is sub net?
-C. Red out-

syndicated_CDN
02-01-2007, 11:58 PM
The best way to go in order to get the refueling capabilites is to download and install one of the supermods.
I personally recommend UBWA 2.0, but there's also GW1.1, GWX and NYGM.

Don't know about Black may...

If you change boats into a IX class submarine you'll be able and occasionally told to make patrols to the carribean and eastern seaboard of North America, however with the stock game you wont be sent to the pacific. This is a feature only available by installing one of the above mentioned supermods.

tuddley3
02-02-2007, 12:13 AM
Especially with WAC 2.0. It is more historically accurate and includes famous battles like D-Day, Omaha Beach, or Operation Source(Where Tirpitz was sunk).

1) Don't know about Black May either, but could be part of War Ace Campaign 2.0

2) Don't think Pacific theatre's are availeable with any mod.

3) Mine Fields and Subnets are shown with the help of an Add-on program called SH3 Gen. Just click on the link under my Sig graphic to learn more about this wonderful program.

4) A Subnet it like a chainlink fence put up like a huge Fishnet to prevent Subs from entering certain parts of harbors, sometimes surround important Warships and Battleships from torpedo attacks. I have included a screenie of one below. You are not warned about Subnets or Mines, but SH3 Gen can give you the approximate location on your Navmap of where they are.

Subnet
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m65/tuddley3/SH3%20Screenies/Isistloshark.jpg

TheRealPotoroo
02-02-2007, 03:52 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedHornDevil:

And i search for a WORKING MOD that gives you refueling capabilities.Please tell me if you know any the one i tryied is not working ...( <span class="ev_code_RED">milk_en1.1(1.4ready)</span> ). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
milk_en1.1(1.4ready) works fine for me. What seems to be the problem?

Goose_Green
02-02-2007, 04:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedHornDevil:

And i need to ask:
i)what is sub net?
-C. Red out- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

1. Black May - It think it refers to the turning point when the Battle of the Atlantic was lost by the Germans as high losses of U Boats were recorded.

2.If you run the GWX mod you are able to join the Flotilla that was assigned to the Indian Ocean and Pacific - these boats were mainly the IXC's and IXD2's.

Most of the Type IX boats were able to operate in the Caribbean due to their long range while the use of the Milk Cows and merchant tankers allowed the Type VII's to venture out into the Caribbean.

(i) A sub net as descibed by Tuddley is a heavy steel mesh that prevents the passage of U Boats or Torpedos usualy employed in the narrows of inlets etc and are usually used along with minefields

(ii) The first thing you will notice about minefields is sudden bang and uncontrolable flooding - if you hit a mine you have very little chance of surviving.

pondafarr
02-02-2007, 04:31 AM
Black May refers to 1943 (May) when the losses of the top 5 Kaeluns made the germans realize the "Happy Times" were indeed over. something like 75 german vessels were sunk or damaged that month, with very little allied losses.

Not a good time to be in a U-Boat off the eastern seaboard...the US Navy finally realized the threat of U-Boats to American shipping and mounted effective convoy procedures...Good for America, Bad for U-Boats.

Detailed in Michael Gannon's book "Black May". Here is an Amazon review:

After a year of terrorizing ships off the coast of the United States, the tide turned against the U-boats in May 1943 when Allied forces sank 41 vessels and damaged 37 others. This frenzy of activity essentially reopened the North Atlantic to merchant shipping and helped clear a path for the Allies' final assault on Europe the following year. Michael Gannon tells his story with wonderful anecdotes from all perspectives--in one scene, he describes a surfaced U-boat crew standing on deck and watching automobile headlights shine through the blackness of night from the New Jersey shore. Few people realize that German naval vessels actually came so close to the United States, but they did--until, as Gannon tells the story, they were finally pushed away, once and for all, in a single hectic month of combat. Although Black May is something of a sequel to Gannon's extraordinary Operation Drumbeat, which described the German's initial successes, it stands on its own as a brilliant work of naval history. --John J. Miller Amazon.com Review.

Kaleun1961
02-02-2007, 01:10 PM
Just wanted to clarify a few things. The war against the U-boats was won in the Atlantic convoy lanes, not specifically off the east coast of the US by the US Navy. The North Atlantic was never "re-opened" to the Allies, it was always open, just under siege more at certain times than others. The British never stopped running the trans-Atlantic convoys, even in the months of their highest losses; that shipping was simply too vital to the war effort to be suspended. However, the convoys to Russia were suspended at certain times of the year, when the round the clock lighting conditions allowed constant German air cover. They were resumed when the Arctic night returned.

In May of 1943 there were several climactic convoy battles, which proved the superiority of the Allied ASW efforts. The German casualty rates, as you detailed in your post, were simply too high to make their campaign worthwhile. Doenitz withdrew the U-boats from the Atlantic convoy lanes to reorganize and re-equip for the new battle conditions. Although they did return to the Atlantic, they were never again in the position to seriously effect Allied shipping and were on the defensive for the remainder of the war.