PDA

View Full Version : Combat in Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood Lacking...

ThirtyIR
12-11-2010, 12:47 PM
I am an avid fan of the Assassin's Creed series. Brotherhood brought a lot of cool features such as assassin recruits to help in combat etc.

However, I feel that the combat in the game is lacking in complexity and engagement. I know it's an "assassin" game and the focus is not combat. Yet, there are so many instances where we are forced to fight it would be much better if the combat was more involved; at least to the level of Prince of Persia: Warrior Within. Button-mashing, or pressing the same button several times is just pathetic and too childish. The one thing Assassin's Creed can set itself apart from the competition is the combat. For example, God of War had the awesome gore but the combat was so childish it was simply button mashing for 100+ hit combos.

With the eight (8) available buttons (Xbox 360/PS3), one would think Ubisoft would use some sense and resources to focus on the combat in AC. The executions should NOT be automatic and instead should be chained into combos. It should be left to the player to decide how to execute the enemy. The execution animations are great but the controls are just really lame; one just has to "hold" 'X'. It would be great if someone at Ubisoft could develop a solid combat/combo engine that can be integrated into the game to make for some insane combat.

I would even vote for increasing the gore substantially; after all, it's an 'M' rated game so why hold back?

The combat system in Prince of Persia: Warrior Within, another Ubisoft game, was quite satisfying and relatively engaging to the player. There were different combos (sequences of buttons) one could string together with finishers that were a lot of fun. Instead of improving on that combat system and implementing it in AC, Ubisoft, IMO, really dropped the ball on combat. Especially with Altair's/Ezio's acrobatic abilities, there is a lot of room for really graceful and stylish combat. Some of it is there such as the double execution (stab and gunshot etc.) but they feel rather random and don't involve much user input.

Please improve the combat system in AC. I can design a combo/combat chart for free if Ubisoft would oblige. I have extensive experience in fighting games and have won a competition for Killer Instinct 2 Arcade back in 1997. The combo engine for that game was one of the best even to this day.

Please increase the complexity, user involvement, and gore in the combat for Assassin's Creed going forward.

Thanks.

ThirtyIR
12-11-2010, 12:47 PM
I am an avid fan of the Assassin's Creed series. Brotherhood brought a lot of cool features such as assassin recruits to help in combat etc.

However, I feel that the combat in the game is lacking in complexity and engagement. I know it's an "assassin" game and the focus is not combat. Yet, there are so many instances where we are forced to fight it would be much better if the combat was more involved; at least to the level of Prince of Persia: Warrior Within. Button-mashing, or pressing the same button several times is just pathetic and too childish. The one thing Assassin's Creed can set itself apart from the competition is the combat. For example, God of War had the awesome gore but the combat was so childish it was simply button mashing for 100+ hit combos.

With the eight (8) available buttons (Xbox 360/PS3), one would think Ubisoft would use some sense and resources to focus on the combat in AC. The executions should NOT be automatic and instead should be chained into combos. It should be left to the player to decide how to execute the enemy. The execution animations are great but the controls are just really lame; one just has to "hold" 'X'. It would be great if someone at Ubisoft could develop a solid combat/combo engine that can be integrated into the game to make for some insane combat.

I would even vote for increasing the gore substantially; after all, it's an 'M' rated game so why hold back?

The combat system in Prince of Persia: Warrior Within, another Ubisoft game, was quite satisfying and relatively engaging to the player. There were different combos (sequences of buttons) one could string together with finishers that were a lot of fun. Instead of improving on that combat system and implementing it in AC, Ubisoft, IMO, really dropped the ball on combat. Especially with Altair's/Ezio's acrobatic abilities, there is a lot of room for really graceful and stylish combat. Some of it is there such as the double execution (stab and gunshot etc.) but they feel rather random and don't involve much user input.

Please improve the combat system in AC. I can design a combo/combat chart for free if Ubisoft would oblige. I have extensive experience in fighting games and have won a competition for Killer Instinct 2 Arcade back in 1997. The combo engine for that game was one of the best even to this day.

Please increase the complexity, user involvement, and gore in the combat for Assassin's Creed going forward.

Thanks.

KrYpToNiC95
12-11-2010, 01:48 PM
It seems that not everyone is impressed by the combat. But good luck getting Ubisoft to listen, I love the games but I think that the money is tempting Ubisoft to make an AC a year. It starting to turn into a COD of adventure which could be a bad thing for the franchise.

Black_Widow9
12-11-2010, 02:44 PM
Hello and welcome to the Forums http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif
Please post your Feedback here-
Assassins Creed: Brotherhood feedback thread. (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5251069024/m/4821045298)
Thanks http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

<span class="ev_code_RED">Topic Closed</span>