PDA

View Full Version : RAM UPGRADE

lukenaskywiper
05-07-2006, 06:44 AM
HI. I was wondering If I could improve fps ingame by improving RAM. Actually, I have a laptop with 512RAM, Intel Pentium 4 Mobile 2,8GHZ, and INTEL 82852 (64Mb) graphics card. Will the 512Mb to 1024 upgrade improve more than 20 fps or so???

Thank you

lukenaskywiper
05-07-2006, 06:44 AM
HI. I was wondering If I could improve fps ingame by improving RAM. Actually, I have a laptop with 512RAM, Intel Pentium 4 Mobile 2,8GHZ, and INTEL 82852 (64Mb) graphics card. Will the 512Mb to 1024 upgrade improve more than 20 fps or so???

Thank you

LEBillfish
05-07-2006, 06:53 AM
I cannot say that it will improve "FPS" though I suppose it is possible, FPS more a function of the Graphics Card I would believe.....However, I can state that a shift from 512 to 1024Mb of ram DOES make a significant difference in game play.

It's been debated that the sim only uses "X" amount of ram, and anything past that a waste....Naturally that's a silly statement in that for the PC just to run, ram is required....With XP and such, more and more....

You can never lose with more ram....GO FOR IT!!

Dean3238
05-07-2006, 07:47 AM
Dunno about the exact fps change, but I upgraded my 512 MB desktop to 2 GB and it is a far better machine for the game now than it was.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Dean

XyZspineZyX
05-07-2006, 08:17 AM
I upgraded recently from 512mb to 1gig and I cant say it improved my fps one bit.

I get about 25fps on average with everything set to excellent, which is what I got BEFORE I upgraded. One thing I did notice wast that the game stuttered a little less when there were lots of objects present.

So as La Belle Poisson said, fps is more something that a videocard upgrade may be able to improve.

Fighterduck
05-07-2006, 08:17 AM
think it's depends on which kind of memory you are using. I had fps improvements changing from 2gb kingston pc3200 to 1gb HyperX kingston memory. But the gain in fps aren't so hight, 5fps or so.

-HH-Quazi
05-07-2006, 11:59 AM
Another 512Mb memory will definately garner faster game\mission loading and smoother gameplay. The onboard video with its' 64Mb memory is where you are being hindered on fr's more so than anything else.

NonWonderDog
05-07-2006, 09:07 PM
As said, adding more memory won't change FPS unless you have so little your hard drive is in constant use (~128-256 meg). Adding more memory will, however, prevent the game from "hitching" every once in a while to page things in and out of memory.

If you completely replace your memory with faster memory (meaning lower CAS latency), however, you might get a slight performance boost. It won't ever be much, though, and fast memory is expensive (compared to the 30 bucks a pop I paid for my 3-2-2 512Mb PC3200 sticks!).

The only time you'll see a real performance boost when replacing memory is if your current memory is unstable at the designed bus speed of your CPU, forcing you to run the entire computer at a lower speed. If this is the case, however, you usually know -- you're usually the one that forced your computer to run at a lower front side bus clock to begin with.

Another (perhaps rightfully) overlooked bit of information is that it takes time to access memory. The more memory you have, the more time it takes to find things in your memory. Generally, though, even 4 gigs won't be much slower than 512 meg in access times. (You can REALLY tell on the new Ti-83 calculators, though, the extra memory slows those things down like you wouldn't believe.)

Taurus_Slo
05-08-2006, 03:56 AM
With 1GB of RAM instead of 512 MB of RAM online playing becames a pleasure. Lot less stuttering then before, at least on my machine (dual 1 GHz P3 - old http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif)

Beirut
05-08-2006, 04:01 AM
I played with 512 and waited far to long to heed the expert's advice, that being "Get a Gig!"

The extra 512 is worth it.

TgD Thunderbolt56
05-08-2006, 06:06 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by -HH-Quazi:
Another 512Mb memory will definately garner faster game\mission loading and smoother gameplay. The onboard video with its' 64Mb memory is where you are being hindered on fr's more so than anything else. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What he said. Onboard graphics is waaaay more of a bottleneck in your rig than insufficient RAM.