PDA

View Full Version : sound differnce from org. IL-2 to FB

F22Apache
05-30-2005, 11:53 PM
The thing i loved most about the original IL-2 was when you were taking enemy fire, you could hear the bullets wizz by the plane. FB doesn't have this WHY NOT!? i thought it was such an awesome and unique feature. When i would make a run on an airfield, and have 3 AA guns firing, i was seriously thinking "Why the heck am i doing this!?" because of the intense sounds. Now .... i just get shot down and hear my plane plundging to its death http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif (with no cool bullet sounds)

F22Apache
05-30-2005, 11:53 PM
The thing i loved most about the original IL-2 was when you were taking enemy fire, you could hear the bullets wizz by the plane. FB doesn't have this WHY NOT!? i thought it was such an awesome and unique feature. When i would make a run on an airfield, and have 3 AA guns firing, i was seriously thinking "Why the heck am i doing this!?" because of the intense sounds. Now .... i just get shot down and hear my plane plundging to its death http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif (with no cool bullet sounds)

Tully__
05-31-2005, 12:03 AM
It's not strictly realistic is why not. With the roar of your own engine, wind noise and so forth, you wouldn't have much chance of hearing your own guns firing, much less the noise of bullets buzzing past your cockpit.

Monson74
05-31-2005, 02:38 AM
I'm with Tully on this one - the sound of a 1500+ hp powerplant is really all you would hear in real life. Perhaps the external sounds were better but I prefer realism. Please correct if I'm wrong - I haven't flown with externals on for a while but the bullet sound is still there - only it's not that loud.

JunkoIfurita
05-31-2005, 02:43 AM
Yes, they've done a fair bit to correct the 'amazing sound-o-vision' syndrome that happened early in the game.

The only problem is that the actual engine sounds are still very anorexic, so cognitively we feel that we SHOULD be getting external sounds over the engine noise (when in reality we wouldn't).

If you have Pacific Fighters installed over your FB+AEP in merged, I noticed that they've added sounds when bullets strike you again - large tearing metal noises that are louder if the bullets are piercing the armour close to the cockpit. I'm not sure, but I imagine you would hear a bullet tearing through the armour plating just behind your head.

----

F22Apache
05-31-2005, 08:32 PM
Alright, i see what you guys are saying. I can understand why you wouldn't hear anything going past the canopy because of the engine noise.
I'm one who strives for realism in most games, but i think this is one aspect where i'd enjoy the "bullet wizzing by" sounds. Does anyone know if there are mods or patches that could do this for FB?

Tully__
05-31-2005, 10:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by F22Apache:
Alright, i see what you guys are saying. I can understand why you wouldn't hear anything going past the canopy because of the engine noise.
I'm one who strives for realism in most games, but i think this is one aspect where i'd enjoy the "bullet wizzing by" sounds. Does anyone know if there are mods or patches that could do this for FB? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The best chance you have is to play with the sound settings. Try the various volume settings in the in game sound setup and see if you can adjust the balance a bit.

Tvrdi
06-01-2005, 01:04 AM
the best sim of all times with worst sound of all times...what a pity

stubby
06-02-2005, 07:02 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tvrdi:
the best sim of all times with worst sound of all times...what a pity </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You nailed it Tvrdi. Amazing that such an important, immersive feature could be so sucky especially in a game as good as Il2. Flak for example really sucks. Flak shell going off only meters from my canopy should sound like impressive and robust like a thunder clap. Instead - I hear faint little puff. Rounds hitting the plane - please. There should be no question whether or not your plane is getting peppered with cannon or mg rounds. Each round should sound like the plane is getting pounded by a massive sledgehammer being wielded by Glimli himself. Instead. I hear nothing or a faint tap at best. I just hope the next sim corrects the major sound issues plagueing PF.

rummyrum
06-02-2005, 07:51 AM
Half the sound (or lack of)issues folks have come from the use of headphones.

Aaron_GT
06-02-2005, 08:26 AM
It's probably best to read eye witness testimony about how much could be heard then work out if the sounds match reality. I was reading about a Mosquito hitting a roof. The pilot didn't even realise he'd hit one until he found a chimney pot on his lap. So that makes me wonder how much could be heard (or how much you could notice what was heard). It's only one instance, though. You need to examine many accounts to get a feel for how much could be heard as some pilots say you could hear enemy guns.

stubby
06-02-2005, 08:47 AM
The two latest books i've read (Fighter Boys and The Hardest Day) are both clear in regards to pilot testimony about how loud and forcefull both flak and rounds sounded while hitting their plane. I can only take their words for it since most here have never flown in WWII combat. I can maybe live with out hearing the hollywood effects of bullets zooming past the canopy but the other stuff, it's porked.

To me, maybe a 'full-real' sound toggle should be added in a future sim. Those craving what they percieve to be 'real' can have what they have now. Me, I want some hollywood goodness. I want cannons that sound like a freakin' jackhammer when my plane is struck (which is quite often http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. I want bullet whizzing sound fx like they had in Saving Pvt Ryan when some guy is hosing my plane. Flak - I want that $hit to sound like it did in the movie Memphis Bell. I bet a majority of folks would toggle 'hollywood sound' vs 'full-real'. Immersion baby.

In regards to headphones, there's much truth to what you said regarding quality but I play other cheesey games on my system (Wings of War, SWON, EAW) and the sound engines from those games are much different (ie better IMHO). I hear all the goodness that's mission in Il2. CFS3 for example - flak is simply amsing when it burst outside your plane. There's the concussion and the bam factor that just doesn't exist in Il2 and I have all the appropriate 3D sound extensions inabled.

BSS_Goat
06-02-2005, 08:49 AM
I read "Thunderbolt"(I think) and Robert Johnson said the noise scared the hell out of him when he fired those 8 fifties for the first time.

davido53
06-02-2005, 07:21 PM
I've been reading a book about a Skyraider pilot in Vietnam, and he states that the firing of his own guns was very very loud...

I also think the sound is anemic, which is a real shame...

I remember flying EAW and when Mea****er came out with his sound mods, it improved everything about 100%...really awesome!

well...that's an odd censoring...what is bad about m e a t w a t e r ?

GAU-8
06-03-2005, 01:24 AM
lol..

its censoring out the "TWOT" between the meat http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

as for sound, ive asked this many times and i often got the same resulting answer back from various people...

we had a problem in IL-2 at one point, called "sonar" what happened was you could here ANYBODY comming up on your six from about a click out, BOOM/ZOOMers never had a chance because they could be heard from so far away from your cockpit.

sound was changed to delete this problem. (an extensively reworking sound code)..but we still have sonar http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
to some degree