PDA

View Full Version : P51 convergence..

WOLFPLAYER2007
04-01-2011, 03:57 PM
For the guys that likes to fly with the P51 here, what is the best convergence for the .50s?

WOLFPLAYER2007
04-01-2011, 03:57 PM
For the guys that likes to fly with the P51 here, what is the best convergence for the .50s?

Treetop64
04-01-2011, 04:01 PM
Depends on how you shoot.

Anything between 100 - 300 meters. Practice shooting and see what works best for you.

ytareh
04-01-2011, 05:08 PM
100m for all general air to air use...except maybe Me262 hunting!Gets mighty hairy though diving on a plane at 700kmh and timing the shot with that convergence and NOT ramming it!

M_Gunz
04-01-2011, 05:34 PM
You can shoot effectively from about 1/4 inside to 1/4 outside convergence and if you're closing fast and shooting 200m or longer you can add a good 20m or more to your range since bullet travel time is shorter when you are converging.

If I waited to start shooting on a BnZ until I was under 200m, I'd end up colliding maybe before I finished the burst!

Bremspropeller
04-01-2011, 05:52 PM
http://www.meadowlakeairport.com/p-51_crash_3.jpg
P-51 convergence

horseback
04-01-2011, 06:55 PM
INFIDEL!!!

cheers

horseback

Bearcat99
04-01-2011, 07:22 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bremspropeller:
http://www.meadowlakeairport.com/p-51_crash_3.jpg
P-51 convergence </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh my... that looks bad... I hope no one was killed in that....

100m = 109.36 yds
150m = 164.04 yds
200m = 218.72 yds
250m = 273.40 yds

I like to keep mine in that range..depending on what I am doing. I generally go between 175 & 225m

berg417448
04-01-2011, 08:07 PM
The P-51A pilot was killed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I0J3hhj4X8

WOLFPLAYER2007
04-01-2011, 09:19 PM
100m is pretty close, i'll try it..

Thank you all

X32Wright
04-02-2011, 10:18 AM
USAAF recommended 300 yards or 274 meters for .50 caliber so 280 meters is the best and in the game this works best.

crucislancer
04-02-2011, 10:48 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by X32Wright:
USAAF recommended 300 yards or 274 meters for .50 caliber so 280 meters is the best and in the game this works best. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I set mine to 274 meters for .50 cal armed U.S. planes, for a historical feel. I usually have no problem getting quick burst kills at convergence.

to the OP - Set it for what you are comfortable with. Play around with it in the QMB and when you find a range that you are comfortable firing at then that's the best place for your convergence.

PhantomKira
04-02-2011, 02:11 PM
274 meters here, too. I have no difficulty with getting kills, but keep in mind I do BnZ in my favorite mount, the P-38, which has little convergence to speak of. I could set it for 1000 meters and likely get about the same results.

Tully__
04-03-2011, 07:11 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PhantomKira:
...the P-38, which has little convergence to speak of.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Bear in mind that the convergence setting in game also affects bullet drop, so changing convergence will affect how much vertical lead you have to apply.

DKoor
04-03-2011, 01:33 PM
As a shortsighted guy, I set my conv quite close... somewhere between 140-300m http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif . I'm usually at 220-250 for 1945.
In early/mid war I put below 200m almost all the time.

Only in bomber hunting I'll set it at 300m.

LEBillfish
04-04-2011, 11:16 AM
Posted on this so many times I'm just going to cut and paste so excuse the flow of the response....

You can set the convergence to any range you want....However, think of your target a moment. 300m it's faint little target. Now I believe it is modeled in that though the bullets may converge on X point that is unmoving. Plane on the ground up on blocks and they fire off short bursts.

Long bursts cause the guns, then the wings and then whole plane to move, and as it moves so does the the point of impact past the very first round. They are meant to go all over.

Trick is 2 things. One, short bursts. Two, be so close that if a round strays it is still catching something on the plane.

You see at 300m 1 degrees off target equals 5.24m or 16 feet. Well, how thin are wings, the tail, whole thing from the rear...so 16' is a lot. At 100m it's 1.75m....Or 5', so you have a much better chance of still hitting them.

1 degree is not a lot. You're moving, they're moving and though it looks like you are following him as though in some tractor beam you're not.

1. Set your convergence closer, I suggest around 200m or less.
2. don't shoot till at that range or closer.
3. Fire short bursts
4. If you can on the plane you're flying set your rudder trim, otherwise you are slipping or flying sideways, that means you are having to constantly correct to fly hence fire straight ahead...Your corrections causing it to spray from side to side, same for elevator.

A friend was flying with me and asked how my shots always seemed to be killer split second bursts and his were not, well all of the above as he refuses to set rudder trim.

Setting rudder trim may cause you to roll due to torque, but roll wont hurt your gunnery near as much.

No one elses convergence equals your own, and over time your own settings should and will change. You need to understand it first though, as their are two aspects to it....

First off, horizontal as in how far out the point the streams from the various guns will meet....Secondly vertical, as the further the range, the more the rounds must arc. Set it too far, and you may well be shooting OVER your target.

As to the range itself, IMLTHO there is only one way to set it. Run a QMB with your plane of choice vs. a target enemy you expect to fight often. Have Icons set to on "yet ignore them", and make an Ntrk.

Fly the mission, don't worry about range or if you're even hitting, simply shoot when you instnctively would (IOW...When by reflex you fire your guns)....Save the track and repeat a few times, then review the tracks.

ALL you are looking for in the tracks is from your cockpit the range shown in the icons when you fire......Mark them down, eliminate the excessive highs and lows, then add the rest up then divide them by the number of shots you counted...........You will find at that point your average "instinctive" range you shoot at.

Take that number and let your feelings determine any change to it (may gut feel you were shooting too far, so reduce it)....Yet no more then 20m.

I think you'll find most times you shoot well under 200m, and quite possibly under 150....Anything past that you're wasting rounds, you may get hits yet it is most likely 1 round out of every 20, not 1 out of every 2.

Remember, and I'll not bore you further with trigonometry, yet the further the range you shoot the larger an area you fill with your shots....All while your target fills an ever smaller point as to your view.

Try the above, and apply it.....I wager your kills and ammo required vastly improve.

(typically I've been using 179m, recently dropping it to 139m and my kills:rounds ratio sky rocketed as I was wasting rounds shooting over my target.....I'm even considering droping it to 100m.....As 90% of my shots are made at .10km or less.)

Past that convergence (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=search&groupType=1&reqWords=convergence&forumOID=23110283&authorName=LEBillfish&authorOID=40310942%2C+40310942%2C+40310942%2C+4031 0942&exactAuthor=Y&ptyp_msg=Y&ptyp_poll=Y&ptyp_album=Y&x_display_post_details=1&p=1)

WOLFPLAYER2007
04-06-2011, 08:58 AM
Well, i have tried different convergence settings for the P51D, the best that suits for me is 225m (for now), i think the .50s are more letal in distances above 200m..

Erkki_M
04-07-2011, 09:02 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WOLFPLAYER2007:
Well, i have tried different convergence settings for the P51D, the best that suits for me is 225m (for now), i think the .50s are more letal in distances above 200m.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Like all weapons they lose accuracy and effectiveness with range...

I use 140m. Would use 100m but I want some "reserve" as not every shot is going to be a surprise bounce, maybe only 2/3 or 3/4. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

able72
04-07-2011, 09:35 AM
When I first started playing this game, I used 100. I used that for a really long time. Till I was consistently getting my kill shots to hit and could drop 2-3 targets in a mission without running out of ammo, even managed 5 in one mission once. Then I started trying to get longer range shots. If you understand what your convergence is and does, you can still hit a target with your convergence set at 100 at a range of 200 or 300 m. You just have to know where the bullets will be at that distance and aim accordingly. I once popped a cannon round into a Zero with the right lead and deflection at 300 meters with convergence set at 100 and he dropped like a stone.

At this point I set mine to 150 as I've found I tend to start shooting sooner than I used to, but I'm about to take it back down to 100 I think.

Best suggestion, wait till the target fills your reticle, and then fire. Much easier to hit. At this distance, the range to target is about 100 m.

horseback
04-07-2011, 01:57 PM
This setting is influenced by the armament type (nose or wing mounted guns, cannon vs HMG or LMG) and your skills.

Nose mounted guns' convergence are primarily determined by how much up/down is required to put the rounds through your crosshairs. Some cannon rounds need a bit more loft than others at increasing ranges. You should be aware that your cannon usually don't have the same trajectory as your MG rounds once you get past certain ranges, especially the big 30mm and higher rounds. Some cannons in the same nominal caliber fire at different rates and trajectories, so switching from say a FW190A-8 to an La-5FN with the same convergences will NOT get you the same results from shooting in exactly the same way.

With wing mounted guns, the guns are (usually) both raised and angled in, especially for close-in convergences, so that the rounds will pass through your crosshairs at a given range. As a rule of thumb, setting your convergence at 200m will give you an effective cone of fire (let's define this as that area where your rounds will converge within a circle about 1.5 meters diameter or less; approximately the fuselage width of most WWII fighters) that is 200m long centered at your convergence range, so you should be getting hits from 100 to 300 meters' range as long as you keep your pipper centered on the target (we veterans like to refer to this as 'the hard part').

The Mustang was armed with either 4 (razorback versions) or 6 (bubbletops) .50 HMGs with a fairly generous amount of firing time. Machine guns don't inflict the same amount of damage that cannon do, and the game is not going to let you get away with a one second burst 'kill' 95% of the time--that will require a perfectly aimed shot at almost exact convergence range and at the right spot.

The HMG is not going to get credit for taking out the cooling system or blowing up oxygen bottles in the current game's damage modeling, and sawed off wings are not going to be a regular occurance. You have to chip away with short accurate bursts, preferably at an angle that allows you to hit the engine, wing roots/cockpit area, or fuel tanks.

It's do-able, but it takes practice, and lots of it.

cheers

horseback

TipsyTed
04-07-2011, 03:18 PM
120m for anti-fighter missions, I never open fire above 150m.

300m for anti-bomber and strafing missions.

Badsight-
04-12-2011, 11:05 PM
let me get this right

a P51 & .50 cal thread started on april the 1st, & the OP only gets serious replys

man this place has lost it!

Erkki_M
04-13-2011, 01:45 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Badsight-:
let me get this right

a P51 & .50 cal thread started on april the 1st, & the OP only gets serious replys

man this place has lost it! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif