PDA

View Full Version : Masive 30% FPS drop !

Miki40
11-01-2004, 05:37 AM
I do owe a high end PC: FX53, MSI Neo2 and Leadtek 6800 ultra.
After I have installed PF I got a 30% FPS hit.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled everything but no joy. I usually play in perfect mode with FPS of min. 40 .The ini files look the same in both: FB+AEP and FB+AEP+PF. Still something has changed that I do get such poor performance now.
Any suggestions?

pourshot
11-01-2004, 05:38 AM
I dont know why mate, but your not alone. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

Miki40
11-01-2004, 05:45 AM
We have to make sure that the devs. are aware of this!

HungryMarine
11-01-2004, 06:32 AM
I'm beginning to suspect a memory leak problem. I have the same problem with fps drop after a couple missions. Just to be sure, I tried exiting the game and loading the mission again and the fps increased! Now I just exit and game and reload the campaign after every mission. Hopefully they'll fix this problem soon. I'm running the game on a PIV 2.2, 1GIG RAM, and GeForce Ti4600 with the latest NVIDIA drivers.

CHDT
11-01-2004, 06:49 AM
Me too.

A64 3200, 9700pro, 1 giga of ram: much less fluid than AEP with freeze and stutters on the same config.

LuckyBoy1
11-01-2004, 06:54 AM
Post your diagnois in the Community Help forum. If you don't know how to post a diagnosis, please see Luckyboy's Guide For Complete Users.

fordfan25
11-01-2004, 07:10 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HungryMarine:
I'm beginning to suspect a memory leak problem. I have the same problem with fps drop after a couple missions. Just to be sure, I tried exiting the game and loading the mission again and the fps increased! Now I just exit and game and reload the campaign after every mission. Hopefully they'll fix this problem soon. I'm running the game on a PIV 2.2, 1GIG RAM, and GeForce Ti4600 with the latest NVIDIA drivers. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

iv had the same thing happen a few times. FPS going from a normal 37fps to 6 for no resone. seems to happen at random. exiting the game and restarting my pc works so far. this only started after i uninstalled my FB+AEP+PF set up and went to the FB stand alone version.

Chuck_Older
11-01-2004, 07:21 AM
Have you tried using DirectX instead of OpenGL or vice versa?

On a whim I changed it from OpenGL to DirectX. I seem to be getting similar performance to what I had experienced in FB on the same computer

RocketDog
11-01-2004, 07:26 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Miki40:
I have uninstalled and reinstalled everything but no joy. I usually play in perfect mode with FPS of min. 40 .The ini files look the same in both: FB+AEP and FB+AEP+PF. Still something has changed that I do get such poor performance now.
Any suggestions? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I suspect the implementation of "perfect" water is different in PF compared to AEP. Try setting water = 1 or 0 in the conf.ini file. Remember, water = 2 is broken on both Nvidia and ATi cards and the new water = 3 is a real frame-rate killer with current technology.

Regards,

RocketDog.

STENKA_69.GIAP
11-01-2004, 07:32 AM
Well it has not given a problem to my mid range rig (XP2600 + FX5900 both clocked standard)

The following are the results of the Black Death Track

First run AEP2.04

2004-11-01 15:18:07 - il2fb
Frames: 863 - Time: 20688ms - Avg: 41.715 - Min: 31 - Max: 54

Second run AEP+PF 3.0

2004-11-01 15:20:38 - il2fb
Frames: 863 - Time: 20953ms - Avg: 41.187 - Min: 31 - Max: 54

This is running 1024x768 with setting excellent but I think I raised Forest to 2.

I would suspect the problem relates to Perfect water - not to a memory leak.

Change your setting to excellent and time both AEP and AEP+FB.

If you don't get a significant difference on Excellent and you do on Perfect you have isolated the problem and must play with the water settings.

Miki40
11-01-2004, 07:37 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RocketDog:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Miki40:
Any suggestions? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I suspect the implementation of "perfect" water is different in PF compared to AEP. Try setting water = 1 or 0 in the conf.ini file. Remember, water = 2 is broken on both Nvidia and ATi cards and the new water = 3 is a real frame-rate killer with current technology.

Regards,

RocketDog. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I€ve tried that, and many other twicks . What I can not understand is that both ini. files are identical in FB+AEP and PF, still something is fundamentally wrong here to create such drop in performance.

RACFrankenstein
11-02-2004, 09:44 AM
I have to say I've experienced the same thing here. Initial load-up and play are fine, but after a few missions frame rate drops considerably. Someone mentioned a memory leak, what exactly is that? I've noticed that after closing PF after playing for a while my whole system runs slower. Is it just a buggy code or is there anything I can do about it?

AMD Athelon 64, 3200+ w/Hyperthread
1GB RAM
ATI 9800Pro 128bit
160 Gig HD

Strange_361st
11-02-2004, 10:37 AM
I think there may be a memory leak.. I got a bad memory dump Sunday. I couldn't even run a report for dxdiag. But then dxdiag would not show a memory leak even if there was one. The issue is who does one show the leak?

PF_Coastie
11-02-2004, 11:02 AM
Biggest FPS increase for PF is to turn-OFF Anisotropic Filtering and use trilinear filtering in PF setup.

Aniso is for some reason eating fps in this game even over open water. You will likely be unable to see any difference in IQ on an ocean map between 16x aniso or No aniso.

Try NO AF and see what happens.

Ruy Horta
11-02-2004, 11:07 AM
Been testing PF and it appears to be caused either by the CPU/GPU running hot or the subsequent loading of several maps.

OTOH if I play another game for hours on end and subsequently start PF it seems to have no negative effect (which negates the first assumption.

FB+AEP+PF appears one of the most demanding games when it comes to both CPU and GPU performance, so cooling does play a roal, but I personally think that some maps and/or objects and/ors sounds cause a massive memory leak somewhere, enough to lower performance substancially.

Ordered a new CPU and GPU cooler especially to combat the heat.

(Arctic Silent VGA Cooler Ver 4 and Gigabyte 3D Rocket Pro Cooler).

At moment I am leaving the side open of my case since the stock cooler on the P4 3.4GHz sounds like a bloody hoover if she gets passed 60dgr.

Bottom line there appears to be some critical resource leak, critical enough to lower general performance.

DarthBane_
11-02-2004, 11:58 AM
My temp alarm goes crasy with PF, it goes over 60 c on thermometer, bf1942 goes 54 c. I have thermaltake case.

horseback
11-02-2004, 12:17 PM
Had similar probs, tried Coastie's switch from anisotopic to trilinear filtering, and things are about back to normal for me.

cheers,

horseback

Osirisx9
11-02-2004, 12:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by horseback:
Had similar probs, tried Coastie's switch from anisotopic to trilinear filtering, and things are about back to normal for me.

cheers,

horseback <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

S~ all. I too have noticed the same thing and after we fired up the Warbirds of Prey Server there where a few individuals who could not join unless they were running direct X instead of open GL. I myself didn't have any problems running open GL, but I was getting allot of flickering whenever there was allot of shooting going on. I decided today to use the recomended video drivers today( I have a G force 4 ti4600 with 128 megs) and the game is running as smooth as silk for me. The recomended driver for my card is the 56.72. I hope this helps

RAF238thOsiris

Sambt
11-02-2004, 02:47 PM
If you are using IL2 Manager from check six try going to 3D world and under Effects Detail reduce by one. I was having FPS Drops from 33 down to 10 when approching carries for landing. By kicking back one notch on Effects Detail solved problem. I fooled around for hours trying differant settings and by accident discovered the fix. Worth a try. Sam

Sturmtrooper
11-02-2004, 03:44 PM
Yeah, I went from the 43.72 driver to the recomended 56.72 and things DID smooth out a little . http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
However I'm sure that after the first patch things will run even smoother .

Miki40
11-03-2004, 05:57 AM
Before installing PF, 2xAA, Anistopic filtering in Perfect mode:

FB+AEP

http://www.greenhearts.org/images/screenshots/207.jpg

FB+AEP+PF same settings:

http://www.greenhearts.org/images/screenshots/206.jpg