PDA

View Full Version : Question about CEM and things.



the_rydster
04-10-2004, 08:35 AM
I was hoping someone could clear up a few things for me (I am fairly new).

What is the point of changing prop pitch manually. Is there any utility in doing this in a combat situation? I normally just run the engine at the max when I am in combat.

I was flying at high altitude in an LA-5 and P-47 and my engine seemed to struggling and brown smoke was coming from the engine (it was not on fire). Is there anything I can do? I assume this is something to do with mixture and the fuel was not burning fully.

Does the a/c effect when the pilot blacks out? I read that with some aircraft you can ride the black out zone and anyone following on your 6 will blackout? I do not understand this myself, surely unless one pilot has a 'g' suit they will both black out together if the turn rate is the same?

Why does no one on here rave about the Me-262? Is this a/c banned from most servers or something. If you keep your speed up and go gentle on the control surfaces you are surely untouchable?

the_rydster
04-10-2004, 08:35 AM
I was hoping someone could clear up a few things for me (I am fairly new).

What is the point of changing prop pitch manually. Is there any utility in doing this in a combat situation? I normally just run the engine at the max when I am in combat.

I was flying at high altitude in an LA-5 and P-47 and my engine seemed to struggling and brown smoke was coming from the engine (it was not on fire). Is there anything I can do? I assume this is something to do with mixture and the fuel was not burning fully.

Does the a/c effect when the pilot blacks out? I read that with some aircraft you can ride the black out zone and anyone following on your 6 will blackout? I do not understand this myself, surely unless one pilot has a 'g' suit they will both black out together if the turn rate is the same?

Why does no one on here rave about the Me-262? Is this a/c banned from most servers or something. If you keep your speed up and go gentle on the control surfaces you are surely untouchable?

Tully__
04-10-2004, 09:11 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by the_rydster:
I was hoping someone could clear up a few things for me (I am fairly new).

What is the point of changing prop pitch manually. Is there any utility in doing this in a combat situation? I normally just run the engine at the max when I am in combat.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In Allied aircraft you will get little if any benefit from messing with prop pitch. In some German aircraft it provides some advantage in performance but needs to be very carefully managed (if not on auto) or you'll rapidly fry your engine.


<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I was flying at high altitude in an LA-5 and P-47 and my engine seemed to struggling and brown smoke was coming from the engine (it was not on fire). Is there anything I can do? I assume this is something to do with mixture and the fuel was not burning fully.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lower your mixture. The higher you fly, the less air the engine gets and the less fuel it needs to run properly. On those aircraft not fitted with automatic mixture control you'll need to constantly monitor this (though the game's not nearly as fussy as some real aircraft).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Does the a/c effect when the pilot blacks out? I read that with some aircraft you can ride the black out zone and anyone following on your 6 will blackout? I do not understand this myself, surely unless one pilot has a 'g' suit they will both black out together if the turn rate is the same?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If the turn rate and speed is the same, both pilots should black out together, however a plane following will need to pull a tighter turn in order to get a shot. If you can ride the edge of blackout and the pilot behind is unaware of this, you can trick him into putting himself temporarily out of commision.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Why does no one on here rave about the Me-262? Is this a/c banned from most servers or something. If you keep your speed up and go gentle on the control surfaces you are surely untouchable?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When it is available, the lack of a function to allow servers to control how many of particular aircraft can be in the air at the same time results in a server full of Me262's. This is not much fun for their oponents and few will use such a server, consequenlty many servers don't allow it. As it was not common in combat, this is not a great loss in realism terms.

And you're right about it being very good in the hands of a pilot who flies it correctly http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

=================================================


http://members.optusnet.com.au/tully_78th/sig.jpg

IL2 Forums Moderator
Forum Terms of Use (http://www.ubi.com/US/Info/TermsOfUse.htm)

Salut
Tully

the_rydster
04-10-2004, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the info.

Yeah I hear what you are saying about the black out thing that sounds like a good idea especially if your enemy is going faster than you.

I agree that the Me-262 is probably not totally fair, but it did see active service (albiet limited) unlike the G meteor and DH Vampire which I read people banging on about. I also read about people asking for Hawker Sea Fury which I know did not see service. Even read about people asking for the Mig-15!!

lil_labbit
04-10-2004, 10:23 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by the_rydster:
I was flying at high altitude in an LA-5 and P-47 and my engine seemed to struggling and brown smoke was coming from the engine (it was not on fire). Is there anything I can do? I assume this is something to do with mixture and the fuel was not burning fully.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You also need to set your Supercharger to Stage 2 when flying over 4500 meters http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif in the La5FN. (different airplanes have different altitudes where to switch - not all airplanes have Supercharger though - and some even have an automatic one). Check CD2 of FB - there is an extended manual there http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

http://members.home.nl/lil.labbit/lilseesya.jpg
Night is better than Day

Chuck_Older
04-10-2004, 10:33 AM
All good advice. I'd just like to add a link, and suggest you see the Sticky Post, "Sturmovik Essentials" on this forum

http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~chapman/il2guide/cemguide/controllingrpm.htm

*****************************
Get your car outta that gear ~ Clash

lil_labbit
04-10-2004, 10:34 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tully__:

When it is available, the lack of a function to allow servers to control how many of particular aircraft can be in the air at the same time results in a server full of Me262's. This is not much fun for their oponents and few will use such a server, consequenlty many servers don't allow it. As it was not common in combat, this is not a great loss in realism terms.

And you're right about it being very good in the hands of a pilot who flies it correctly http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://members.home.nl/lil.labbit/smiley/eek2.gif I NEVER EVER had a server full of me262 - and when I host it's mostly ALL planes (including AI flyables).

There IS ranting about rocket planes, about jets, even about prop planes. There are (sometimes) also good reasons to not include planes (like flying a certain year, or a certain front - p38 in europe ? http://members.home.nl/lil.labbit/smiley/hammer_2.gif ).

http://members.home.nl/lil.labbit/lilseesya.jpg
Night is better than Day

Tully__
04-10-2004, 11:11 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lil_labbit:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tully__:

When it is available, the lack of a function to allow servers to control how many of particular aircraft can be in the air at the same time results in a server full of Me262's. This is not much fun for their oponents and few will use such a server, consequenlty many servers don't allow it. As it was not common in combat, this is not a great loss in realism terms.

And you're right about it being very good in the hands of a pilot who flies it correctly http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://members.home.nl/lil.labbit/smiley/eek2.gif I NEVER EVER had a server full of me262 - and when I host it's mostly ALL planes (including AI flyables).

There IS ranting about rocket planes, about jets, even about prop planes. There are (sometimes) also good reasons to not include planes (like flying a certain year, or a certain front - p38 in europe ? http://members.home.nl/lil.labbit/smiley/hammer_2.gif ).

http://members.home.nl/lil.labbit/lilseesya.jpg
Night is better than Day<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What settings, maybe it only happens in easy setting servers. I've seen a few "over run" by the 262. Also it may be that the novelty has worn off http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.


Also, why wouldn't you have P-38's in a European setting? There were plenty of them there, though they didn't get as much publicity as they did in the Pacific (and weren't so popular with the pilots until the lack of heat in the cockpit was sorted out).

=================================================


http://members.optusnet.com.au/tully_78th/sig.jpg

IL2 Forums Moderator
Forum Terms of Use (http://www.ubi.com/US/Info/TermsOfUse.htm)

Salut
Tully

lil_labbit
04-10-2004, 12:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tully__:

What settings, maybe it only happens in easy setting servers. I've seen a few "over run" by the 262. Also it may be that the novelty has worn off http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.

Also, why wouldn't you have P-38's in a European setting? There were plenty of them there, though they didn't get as much publicity as they did in the Pacific (and weren't so popular with the pilots until the lack of heat in the cockpit was sorted out).

Salut
Tully<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
1) settings I fly with are near real - Externals allowed - sometimes Cockpit locked - Speedbar on, Icons on (limited now)

2) Because if I can't have my Fokker g1a then neither can they have that carbon copy ! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif
http://members.home.nl/lil.labbit/g1a.jpg

http://members.home.nl/lil.labbit/remarkable.jpg

... might not have been many either, but at least they were Dutch http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-happy.gif and it had 8 guns in the nose and a tail gunner too (plus a radio officer). http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif The gerries were scared as hell off it http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/59.gif

http://members.home.nl/lil.labbit/lilseesya.jpg
Night is better than Day