PDA

View Full Version : Again with Vista

andypandy1996
09-23-2010, 01:11 PM
Hey guys. I stumbled across SH3 in a jewel case on ebay that is supposed to run with vista. I talked to my computer dude and he said it was a possibility of a pirated copy so if anyone could check that out and give me some help. Much appreciated.

Andy

andypandy1996
09-23-2010, 01:11 PM
Hey guys. I stumbled across SH3 in a jewel case on ebay that is supposed to run with vista. I talked to my computer dude and he said it was a possibility of a pirated copy so if anyone could check that out and give me some help. Much appreciated.

Andy

Kaleun1961
09-23-2010, 10:10 PM
How can we check if you have a pirated copy? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif Do you still have your original SH3 installation DVD? If so, I would rather trust that over some dubious disc that may be pirated. Maybe it could even have malicious code inserted into it. Why take such an unnecessary risk with your valuable PC? I have installed the game on my W7-64 bit PC using my original DVD from around 2005.

What I would suggest is that you follow the instructions for installing SH3 on a Vista/W7 system. You must not install the game into "program files" as this brings it under the aegis of user account control. Simply install it into a directory name of your choice on the root of C; example: C:\SH3 or C:\Ubisoft\SH3. I installed it on my W7 notebook under C:\Ubisoft\SH3. As well, install it using the "no-disc" method if your copy has StarForce on it. At no time in the installation process should you click SH3.exe to start the game with the disc in the drive, as that attempts to install the StarForce drivers. Avoid StarForce like the plague; why bother installing it when there are easy methods to avoid it?

See the sticky threads on how to perform the above. If you cannot understand the instructions post here and I or someone else will help you. I check this forum on a daily or near daily basis so you won't have to wait long for an answer. Subsim is also a very active site with lots of willing helpers. Let us know how it works out for you.

andypandy1996
09-24-2010, 05:23 AM
Thanks Kaleun1961. So I have tried to install this a million times and I last time looked promising. The intro came up then the loading screen but when the red bar reached halfway it gave me the same error and went to desktop. Yea my disk is also plagued with starforce. What is user account control? Never heard of it. Gotta go talk later.

Andy

Kaleun1961
09-24-2010, 12:24 PM
UAC is the security routine built into Vista and Windows 7. Anything installed into "program files" falls under its jurisdiction. Unfortunately, this messes up some older games like SH3. If you are installing SH3 on such a system you have to install it outside of "program files" in order to go around UAC. If you are reinstalling the game you must completely clean out any remnants of the old installation, such as the "SH3" folder in "My Documents" as well as run a registry cleaner. Failure to do so might cause problems with a reinstallation. Once you have cleaned out any remnants simpy reinstall using the "no disc" method, either on XP or under Vista\7 but with the about proviso.

I have SH3 installed on a W7-64 bit machine and don't have to use anything like "compatibility mode" to get it to run. I still have an XP system that is capable of running SH3 quite well and intend to keep it as long as it still runs. On both machines I have installed it using the "no disc" method; the only time I use the disc is to reinstall when I feel like it.

andypandy1996
09-24-2010, 04:47 PM
My computer is a messed version! I have windows Home Premium Vista, tried everything and yet Starforce still blocks me giving me the same error code talking about acessing an internal library. I have patched to 1.4 and can play the video's like intro and the logo inside the file but I can't play so I finally give up on the thing. I might just buy a seperate computer running XP and plug it into mine. Sorry for the hassel of you guys trying to help me but I am not smart enough to work with all this computer mumbo-jumbo. Thanks.

Andy.

Kaleun1961
09-24-2010, 06:48 PM
Sounds like you need the StarForce removal tool. There is a link for it somewhere, maybe in one of the sticky threads at the top of this forum. I wouldn't give up just yet; it certainly is possible to get the game going on your Vista system, others have so why can't you?

andypandy1996
09-24-2010, 06:52 PM
Sorry bud, my computer guy already did that. I remove it I reboot and after I try to play the game it gives me error 1275 I reboot again try and Starforce intervenes and I lose so I have no clue what to do.

Andy

HW3
09-24-2010, 08:03 PM
You need the no DVD fix to play without Starforce. The first sticky thread at the top of the forum has directions on how to do this. I play on Vista home premium 64 bit with the origional UBISoft DVD, so I know it can be done. There are other companies that were given permission by UBI to release SH3 already patched and Starforce free. Maybe it was one of those you saw on ebay? They are legal.

rigman101
10-21-2010, 03:18 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">install it using the "no-disc" method </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
how do you do this? "install it using the "no-disc" method "

Kaleun1961
10-21-2010, 08:10 PM
The instructions on how to install the game are in a sticky thread on the top of the forum page, "how to play without the DVD." Although the post mentions the five no-disc files, it does not provide a link to them. You can search for them, or I could provide you a set if you PM me an email address. Because the files include an .exe, your antivirus or security software will warn you of potential danger and may actually block you opening the email. I always warn people before I send them files that email or security software may consider to be a potential threat.