PDA

View Full Version : Just failed my air law.

Warrington_Wolf
04-09-2008, 10:11 AM
Seven months of revision and 23.50 up the bloody spout, the worst part is I won't be able to see my examiner till next week to find out where I went wrong. My main worry at the moment is that I will have to go to Gatwick if I fail it again, which I think would be the end of the road for my flying http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif.
I studied really hard for this exam and everybody (family, friends and my flight instructor and Myself) thought that I could pass it, I'm not sure how to break it to my instructor when I see him next. There were others that sat exams today, I'm just hoping that the results have been mixed up but I very much doubt it.
At the moment I just feel gutted, totally gutted. I just hope that this isn't how my other exams are going to be like, if I get that far that is.

Warrington_Wolf
04-09-2008, 10:11 AM
Seven months of revision and 23.50 up the bloody spout, the worst part is I won't be able to see my examiner till next week to find out where I went wrong. My main worry at the moment is that I will have to go to Gatwick if I fail it again, which I think would be the end of the road for my flying http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif.
I studied really hard for this exam and everybody (family, friends and my flight instructor and Myself) thought that I could pass it, I'm not sure how to break it to my instructor when I see him next. There were others that sat exams today, I'm just hoping that the results have been mixed up but I very much doubt it.
At the moment I just feel gutted, totally gutted. I just hope that this isn't how my other exams are going to be like, if I get that far that is.

Kettenhunde
04-09-2008, 10:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If the candidate fails to pass an examination at the first attempt there should be a 2 week period before sitting another paper on the same subject.

Should the candidate fail the examination at the second attempt there should be a 4 week period before taking a further attempt.

In the event of a third failure the candidate will be required to sit a final examination paper at CAA Gatwick or a CAA Regional Test Centre after undertaking further training as determined by the flying school / club.

Upon completion of further training and prior to sitting the final examination paper a JAR-FCL Private Pilot's Licence Aeroplanes / Helicopters Theoretical Knowledge Examination - Application Form Section 4 Declaration of Completion of Further Training must be completed by the Flying School / Club as part of the application to re-sit the final paper. Booking for the final paper must be made through CAA PLD Exam Support and a re-sit fee will be payable.

A candidate failing the final paper will be banned from taking any further attempts for a period of 3 months thereafter the candidate will be required to re-enter the examinations as though for the initial attempt. All previous exam passes in all subjects will be rendered null and void and all further examinations will be sat at CAA Gatwick or a Regional Test Centre after the candidate has undertaken further training as determined by the Flying School / Club. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://www.ontrackaviation.com/gs-ppl-exams.htm

Hi Warrington,

Buck up man. It's not the end of the world. If this is your first time, you get other chances. Worst case, you have to sit out for 3 months and retake the test's as if it was your first time.

Not only that, some of the best pilots I know in the states here have gotten a pink slip at some point during their training or career.

It happens. If it was easy, everyone would have a license. It is not that you failed that counts, it is what you do with that failure.

If you quit, well sure, you're done and you failed. That's your choice.

Shift your mentality. Stop looking at it as insurmountable failure. Start looking at it as a way to strengthen your weak areas and use the experience to hedge your bets on the next test.. One of these days, when you're an instructor you can pass this part of what you learned to your students. Even if you never become an instructor, you can pass it along to some pilot candidate.

Good Luck and best wishes with it.

All the best,

Crumpp

SeaFireLIV
04-09-2008, 11:30 AM
Don`t give up. It may seem bad now, but you`ll laugh at it later.

Warrington_Wolf
04-09-2008, 01:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kettenhunde:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If the candidate fails to pass an examination at the first attempt there should be a 2 week period before sitting another paper on the same subject.

Should the candidate fail the examination at the second attempt there should be a 4 week period before taking a further attempt.

In the event of a third failure the candidate will be required to sit a final examination paper at CAA Gatwick or a CAA Regional Test Centre after undertaking further training as determined by the flying school / club.

Upon completion of further training and prior to sitting the final examination paper a JAR-FCL Private Pilot's Licence Aeroplanes / Helicopters Theoretical Knowledge Examination - Application Form Section 4 Declaration of Completion of Further Training must be completed by the Flying School / Club as part of the application to re-sit the final paper. Booking for the final paper must be made through CAA PLD Exam Support and a re-sit fee will be payable.

A candidate failing the final paper will be banned from taking any further attempts for a period of 3 months thereafter the candidate will be required to re-enter the examinations as though for the initial attempt. All previous exam passes in all subjects will be rendered null and void and all further examinations will be sat at CAA Gatwick or a Regional Test Centre after the candidate has undertaken further training as determined by the Flying School / Club. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://www.ontrackaviation.com/gs-ppl-exams.htm

Hi Warrington,

Buck up man. It's not the end of the world. If this is your first time, you get other chances. Worst case, you have to sit out for 3 months and retake the test's as if it was your first time.

Not only that, some of the best pilots I know in the states here have gotten a pink slip at some point during their training or career.

It happens. If it was easy, everyone would have a license. It is not that you failed that counts, it is what you do with that failure.

If you quit, well sure, you're done and you failed. That's your choice.

Shift your mentality. Stop looking at it as insurmountable failure. Start looking at it as a way to strengthen your weak areas and use the experience to hedge your bets on the next test.. One of these days, when you're an instructor you can pass this part of what you learned to your students. Even if you never become an instructor, you can pass it along to some pilot candidate.

Good Luck and best wishes with it.

All the best,

Crumpp </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yeah I guess your're right, I've had a few hours to calm down and mull it over. I got 27 out of 40 (or according to my examiner 66%) where as 30 (75%) or more would have been a pass so I wasn't a million miles from the prize. I will have a better idea of where I went wrong next week, and as you rightly said I can improve on it.
I'm not doing my PPL as a career move (my colour deficiancy wouldn't allow it anyway) I'm doing it because I have wanted to fly since I was 10, and the sensation of flying IMHO is just fantastic.
In the meantime, does anyone know of any good revision websites or books that have questions in them which are similar to the types I would have in an exam (I'm not looking for ways to cheat, just better ways to revise)?

Taylortony
04-09-2008, 02:36 PM
For what its worth the Air Law is reputed to be the hardest exam and the most boring......... Don't give up heart on it, Our school actually goes through the paper straight after the exam and lets you relook through your answers so you know where you have gone wrong........... odd you never got to do that, after all how do you learn from your mistakes if you do not see them when fresh in your mind http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Warrington_Wolf
04-09-2008, 02:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taylortony:
For what its worth the Air Law is reputed to be the hardest exam and the most boring......... Don't give up heart on it, Our school actually goes through the paper straight after the exam and lets you relook through your answers so you know where you have gone wrong........... odd you never got to do that, after all how do you learn from your mistakes if you do not see them when fresh in your mind http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I thought that too, I think the examiner went to do a checkride with someone else while I was in the exam. I had to wait for 40 minutes for my bus home so I kept a sharp eye out for the returning aircraft, hoping that it was one of ours with the examiner.

Kettenhunde
04-09-2008, 04:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I'm doing it because I have wanted to fly </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are doing it for all the right reasons, then.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I wasn't a million miles from the prize. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ABsolutely. You were very close. I am willing to bet your score will be very good this next time.

Keep up posted on your progress too!

All the best,

Crumpp

Kettenhunde
04-09-2008, 04:09 PM
It was FAA I could give several sites but JAA is not my cup of tea!

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

Some students go FAA and convert to JAA. If you are doing that route I can post those sites.

Arrowhead2k6
04-09-2008, 06:59 PM
Is this for your private? Don't worry about it too much. I got my licence five years ago, and I partially flunked the flight test because of nerves. lol, It certainly does feel like a kick in the gut at the time, but it's not the end of the world. Believe me. It happens. The second time is so much less stressful anyways.
Your instructor should offer you more tips on how to study and be more prepared. Don't be scared of him, his job is to support you so you can learn.