PDA

View Full Version : Maps Again

VW-IceFire
05-05-2005, 07:22 AM
Seeing as its not terribly likely that we're to get some of the more useful maps in the PTO (Philipeans, another section of New Guinea, parts of the Solomons, Rabul, or Borneo) I'm wondering if it would it be possible (and painless) to convert the two basic generic dogfight maps that we have in European terrain into Pacific theater terrain and water?

That way we could at least do some of the land battles and try and dress them up a bit.

VW-IceFire
05-05-2005, 07:22 AM
Seeing as its not terribly likely that we're to get some of the more useful maps in the PTO (Philipeans, another section of New Guinea, parts of the Solomons, Rabul, or Borneo) I'm wondering if it would it be possible (and painless) to convert the two basic generic dogfight maps that we have in European terrain into Pacific theater terrain and water?

That way we could at least do some of the land battles and try and dress them up a bit.

LuckyBoy1
05-05-2005, 07:50 AM
Who told you we were not going to get more maps? I've been told we will get more maps... am I wrong here?

DRB_Hookech0
05-05-2005, 08:40 AM
yes we will.....for the eastern front which is of no help to the standalone PF players who want to experence the pacific war.

A larger version of the 8 islands would be nice but oriented north-south. Unless someone with the ability to actually create pacific maps comes thru...we are pretty much doomed to the half-assed maps we have now.

JG53Frankyboy
05-05-2005, 08:45 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LuckyBoy1:
Who told you we were not going to get more maps? I've been told we will get more maps... am I wrong here? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

we will get maps , sure, also some/a far east one. but not the one from icefire mentioned

VW-IceFire
05-05-2005, 10:41 AM
As far as the PTO is concerned, we're getting Singapore. Which is interesting but not entirely useful to a mid-1943 campaign or a RAAF 1945 campaign...basically, we've got early 1942 maps followed by late 1944 and 1945 maps...there's no maps that feature the brunt of the competetive air battles commonly associated with the Pacific...and yet the vast majority of our planeset comes from that time period.

We are getting some great new maps (I'm excited for Murmansk and Kurland!)...but the PTO is entirely lacking.

DRB_Hookech0
05-05-2005, 12:05 PM
Ice...I've been pounding this drum for 6 months and I either get told to buy AEP and merge or to shut up. As my squads weekly mission builder I have to be extreamly creative when designing missions from Feb 43 until late 44. It is ****ed frustrating. Your correct on all points the allied plane set is talored for the Aug 42 to Late 44 period but we have Guadalcanal and thats it. I'm not buying a lot of the excuses used anymore, you cant tell me that New Georgia would be any harder on a system than some of the eastern front maps. Or that they could not do the southern end of Bouganville to Munda point. They dropped the ball huge on the maps and we have zero recourse to fix the situation....because I am told that nobody gives a **** about the PTO....oh nevermind....

JG53Frankyboy
05-05-2005, 01:21 PM
the 1943 situation is realy bad considering the PTO maps - if you want misisons in that both sides have a base (land ore carrier) only Wake and Tarawa are usefull http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
and in real that was only a few days

1944 is only a little better , with the Marianes , IwoJima and Palau

rummyrum
05-05-2005, 06:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DRB_Hookech0:
Ice...I've been pounding this drum for 6 months and I either get told to buy AEP and merge or to shut up. As my squads weekly mission builder I have to be extreamly creative when designing missions from Feb 43 until late 44. It is ****ed frustrating. Your correct on all points the allied plane set is talored for the Aug 42 to Late 44 period but we have Guadalcanal and thats it. I'm not buying a lot of the excuses used anymore, you cant tell me that New Georgia would be any harder on a system than some of the eastern front maps. Or that they could not do the southern end of Bouganville to Munda point. They dropped the ball huge on the maps and we have zero recourse to fix the situation....because I am told that nobody gives a **** about the PTO....oh nevermind.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm there is this little thing called gumption. If you feel so strongly about this then look into building these maps. Many of the new maps are made by third party folks. Can you get onboard I don't know but how about trying to give instead of take. Bllah blah..half finshed...blah blah half assed ....boring. If all folks had this attitude then there would be much less aircraft to fly, no Kurland or Murmansk...heck Pacific Fighters would be void of much. Some of my work is in the game and I did not recieve a penny. You know what though I was just glad to be acknowleged. How about all the third party applications that have made this series what it is, how about all the folks who run wars, servers etc? It is much easier to ***** and moan than it is to do something about it. Get off your *** and stop whining. This was directed soley at this poster!

Frequent_Flyer
05-06-2005, 05:49 PM
I would gladly pay what i paid for PF for a CD or two of just maps.The Philippines, Rabaul and Burma not to mention the port of Darwin are necessary.Hell give me Two islands seperated by a large body of water and it will help.

VW-IceFire
05-06-2005, 07:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DRB_Hookech0:
Ice...I've been pounding this drum for 6 months and I either get told to buy AEP and merge or to shut up. As my squads weekly mission builder I have to be extreamly creative when designing missions from Feb 43 until late 44. It is ****ed frustrating. Your correct on all points the allied plane set is talored for the Aug 42 to Late 44 period but we have Guadalcanal and thats it. I'm not buying a lot of the excuses used anymore, you cant tell me that New Georgia would be any harder on a system than some of the eastern front maps. Or that they could not do the southern end of Bouganville to Munda point. They dropped the ball huge on the maps and we have zero recourse to fix the situation....because I am told that nobody gives a **** about the PTO....oh nevermind.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I think we entirely agree about the problem. MY feeling is that the ball was dropped in relation to actually planning the project out.

It seems like they planned to do alot more and then never finished it. At this point, instead of a Singapour map, what'd we could really use is a Rabaul map thats large enough to have some US/RAAF (I think they were active in the area too) bases (even if they are 1944 bases) and allow us to use the map for everything from 1942-1944. Rabaul was a huge Japanese center of activity and the target of plenty of US attacks and it'd be a fantastic area to use ALOT of aircraft that we're currently very restricted in using.

Basically, if we were to get two new maps for the PTO it'd be these:
- Rabaul and area
- Darwin and area

That'd make alot of mission builders VERY happy. We could probably have done without Palau at all because I haven't figured on a campaign there that would be of any consequence...and Tarawa is neat but far too system intensive to use in any large capacity...and ChiChi Jima was probably low effort so I can take that one just fine...

So they REALLY messed up on the maps...I agree. I'd like to see them try and rectify this a bit. I would also like to see another European map that we can use to great effect. I'm talking largest bang for the buck because I'm entirely realistic on the need to balance performance and map creation time and all sorts of things like that...

I'm sort of hoping that Luthier can somehow step upto the plate and solve this problem. Do Rabaul and make it useful...study the maps and try and fit the best area on as possible. But in the meantime, how about converting Dogfight 1 and 2 into PTO Dogfight 1 and 2? Then we can try and simulate some land battles...

At least the Pacific Islands map can double as the Solomons a bit...enough so that we CAN potentially fool people with some clever mission design and scenery placement.

darkhorizon11
05-08-2005, 01:14 AM
If you go by the updates were getting a Singapore map, then a winter and summer Murmansk map. Oleg mention three maps but it remains to be seen if he's counting the Murmansk ones as two.

There's always more maps I'd like to see honestly I would be exstatic if they extended one of the Normandy maps east, west and south (not north I know we won't see England till BoB and I don't wanna spoil it) and I'd really like the Ardenne maps extended to the North and West so we can operate realistic distances to Y-29 and some of the other fields involved in the battle of the Buldge. If the maps is extended in this way we can also make missions in the early war scenario and the invasion of Belguim.

csThor
05-08-2005, 01:25 AM
*cough*

Singapore
Kurland "Autumn"
Kurland Winter
Murmansk

Plus Online Versions of both Kurland maps.

*cough*