PDA

View Full Version : Tailweel lock

argnan
03-05-2005, 12:40 PM
When you lock tailweel, what does that means???

Wilburnator
03-05-2005, 12:58 PM
Assuming it was straight when you locked it, it helps your plane track straight down the runway in a crosswind. Once you learn how to handle your plane on takeoff I think you can easily ignore it. At least I do.

3.JG51_BigBear
03-05-2005, 01:07 PM
It also stops you from oversteering the airplane when correcting for prop torque and when taxing at higher speeds.

SeperateCheck
03-05-2005, 03:37 PM
Hah, you guys are saying you use the tailwheel lock for takeoffs and taxiing?

That's kind of funny, I thought it was for landing on carriers. Since this feature was added to the game with the release of Pacific Fighters, I assumed it was for carrier operations.

I've been locking my tailwheel every time I'm on final approach to the carrier. Can't say it's improved my landings any, since I've not tried landing without the tailwheel locked.

But it makes sense in my mind...to have the tailwheel locked when landing. Because often you'll be using rudder input when your wheels touch down. Not much room to steer on those carrier decks.

I could be totally wrong. Maybe it's just for taking off.

Can anyone clarify this?

Platypus_1.JaVA
03-05-2005, 03:46 PM
Tailwheel lock has been a feature since il-2 1.0 I think. I wouldn't be using it when landing. It is useless when you are flying anyways. And a good landing is a result of some good flying techniques, not from locking a tail wheel.

StG77_Stuka
03-05-2005, 04:41 PM
Yes, Tailwheel locks been around since the original IL-2 Sim. Never used it myself, but I can see its usefulness.

IKP_Hawk
03-05-2005, 05:11 PM
Usually the tailwheel was to be locked after lining up with the runway centerline for TO and not unlocked again until after landing rollout.

3.JG51_BigBear
03-05-2005, 05:28 PM
In many planes the tail wheel should caster, and the lock actually doesn't lock it in one place but allows it to move through a very limited range of motion, say 6 degrees. To save brakes a pilot would lock the tail wheel and taxi the plane at a higher power setting while using the rudder and the limited movement of the tail wheel to 'snake' the plane along the taxi way to make sure nothing was in front of the plane.

Tully__
03-05-2005, 06:53 PM
In real life, tail wheel lock works in one of two ways. The first is described above, locking it more or less to central with a little spring loading to allow a small amount of castoring. The other option has it locked to rudder control, again with a little spring loading to allow some small movement either side of the rudder setting.

In the sim I never use it.

TC_Stele
03-05-2005, 07:21 PM
Haha, I like your sig pic, Hawk. Should say something like "Don't shoot the chute"

VBF-83_Hawk
03-06-2005, 11:54 AM
The tailwheel lock is not modeled correctly in this game. With it locked or unlocked, I still get just as much turn travel while taxiing the ariplane.

-HH- Beebop
03-06-2005, 11:44 PM
Locked tailwheels do have their purposes. For me it's easier to taxi in strong winds with it locked. In all conditions I tend to wander less during takeoff. I've gained a couple of klicks with the tailwheel locked during air racing.
However there seems to be no difference when turning on the ground with it locked or unlocked.

One of the many mysteries of IL-2/FB/AEP/PF.

JR_Greenhorn
03-07-2005, 12:12 AM
I use the tailwheel lock quite a bit, especially when taking off. I find it helpful because I have to jab the keyboard to use the rudder because I don't have a twist stick or rudder pedals. If I want a certain amount of rudder input for a correction on takeoff, I have to jab the rudder keys a few times, then usually jab a few times the other way because I overcorrected. It seems like if I use the tailwheel lock, I don't need to play with the rudder keys as much, or at least I don't seem to overcorrect as much. The rest of you that play with quality controls likely have never encountered any of this.

Krt_Bong
03-08-2005, 10:11 AM
In many tail draggers the tailwheel wasn't steerable you got the plane to turn with a blast on the throttle and a combination of rudder with differential braking. In the real Mustang you pull back the stick slightly to lock it this helps maintain ground stability during the take-off roll. In this game it used to function better but with the ground handling of some of these planes they rock on the mains like my old granny.