PDA

View Full Version : Scripted Server question

BlitzPig_DDT
11-05-2007, 08:24 AM
Any scripted server gurus out there?

I like to host my own maps from time to time, as well as control the settings (if we can get enough of us online). I've always had to host from the system I play on, and while it's a decent rig, that's never the best way to go about it with this sim.

I finally got a second box to use as a DS, got those files and got it up and running and found how to change maps, kick players, change settings, etc. But now I want more. lol

I found IL2 Server Commander and FBDaemon. I've used FBD in the past, but I didn't care for having to mod the properties files for the missions (as the FMB will dump your FBD text and you have to maintain copies and keep playing bait and switch).

IL2SC seems to do everything I want it to do and more, however.... FBD would track mission goals by totals. X ships, Y cars, Z AAA, etc, etc. IL2SC seems to take a different approach, using targets, as in COOPs. You set the X-Y coordinates, radius, and destruction percentage.

That's nice as real missions would be about taking out specific targets, however as a mission maker and host, it's nice to be able to litter a map with ground targets, and let the players take out a finite number, independent of map coordinates (like 20 tanks, now matter how spread out they may be).

Is there any way to get IL2SC to mimic this behavior?

Alternately, does FBD call out grids where forces are losing units, restrict #s of planes and armaments, and everything else that IL2SC does?

BlitzPig_DDT
11-05-2007, 08:24 AM
Any scripted server gurus out there?

I like to host my own maps from time to time, as well as control the settings (if we can get enough of us online). I've always had to host from the system I play on, and while it's a decent rig, that's never the best way to go about it with this sim.

I finally got a second box to use as a DS, got those files and got it up and running and found how to change maps, kick players, change settings, etc. But now I want more. lol

I found IL2 Server Commander and FBDaemon. I've used FBD in the past, but I didn't care for having to mod the properties files for the missions (as the FMB will dump your FBD text and you have to maintain copies and keep playing bait and switch).

IL2SC seems to do everything I want it to do and more, however.... FBD would track mission goals by totals. X ships, Y cars, Z AAA, etc, etc. IL2SC seems to take a different approach, using targets, as in COOPs. You set the X-Y coordinates, radius, and destruction percentage.

That's nice as real missions would be about taking out specific targets, however as a mission maker and host, it's nice to be able to litter a map with ground targets, and let the players take out a finite number, independent of map coordinates (like 20 tanks, now matter how spread out they may be).

Is there any way to get IL2SC to mimic this behavior?

Alternately, does FBD call out grids where forces are losing units, restrict #s of planes and armaments, and everything else that IL2SC does?

T_O_A_D
11-05-2007, 08:41 AM
DDT I just set my dedi backup this weekend, I use IL2SC I'll look and see, but I think you can adjust it to do what your wanting.

BlitzPig_DDT
11-05-2007, 12:52 PM
Bumping. My searching has only uncovered the help file that comes with IL2SC which talks about targets (as in an area, defined by X-Y coords, radius, and destruction percentage).

Still looking, but wanted to bump this as it seems to be slipping down.

dbillo
11-07-2007, 12:21 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BlitzPig_DDT:
...I've used FBD in the past, but I didn't care for having to mod the properties files for the missions (as the FMB will dump your FBD text and you have to maintain copies and keep playing bait and switch)

....Alternately, does FBD call out grids where forces are losing units, restrict #s of planes and armaments, and everything else that IL2SC does? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

DDT, I've used FBD for over a year now, and I've never had the FMB dump, alter, delete, or even so much as touch the FBD coding in the properties file, no matter how many times I've edited the missions.

Re: the other question above, FBD does have (undocumented), the feature of announcing the map grid where losses are occurring, but it doesn't have any method of limiting plane #s or armament. Sammie is currently writing a new Java version, and it's not known at this time what features he might put into that one.

Some day I should try out IL2SC and see for myself what it is like to use.

BlitzPig_DDT
11-07-2007, 12:42 PM
Interesting. The plane limit might keep me on IL2SC then. As much as I would like to use generic numbers of enemy units as a mission goal (rather than map specific target coordinates), I prefer the ability to limit planes from time to time.

However, I think you mis-read me. The Full Mission Builder dumps the FBDaemon code in the properties file. At least it has for me. It even dumps the army specific data as well (so most of my maps don't use army specific briefs).

But I don't think I've really made any maps since before 4.07. Maybe that's changed since then?

dbillo
11-07-2007, 02:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BlitzPig_DDT:
...However, I think you mis-read me. The Full Mission Builder dumps the FBDaemon code in the properties file. At least it has for me. It even dumps the army specific data as well (so most of my maps don't use army specific briefs)... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>No, I'm sure I understand what you are saying, but it's just never happened to me (yet). I regularly open my dedicated server missions in the Full Mission Builder to edit them, including editing the briefings, and even the FBD coding, and never had any of the FBDaemon coding go missing. Started out using FB+AEP 2.04, then 4.04m, and now 4.08m.

BlitzPig_DDT
11-07-2007, 02:38 PM
rgr, re-reading your post it looks like I mis-read you. doh! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gif

Still would like to know more about designating targets in IL2SC though.

I've tried the whole map coordinate thing and it's just not working out.

Come to think of it, a spreadsheet-style breakdown of features of both (IL2SC and FBD) would be handy.

dbillo
11-07-2007, 03:08 PM
Well, I thought our pal T_O_A_D was going to drop some pearls of wisdom on that one! Have you tried the SC forum here?:

http://www.gennadich.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=13

BlitzPig_DDT
11-07-2007, 04:41 PM
Yeah, I found that fourm and read that whole thread, but didn't find an answer.

I should probably post, but it's always a bit of a pain to create new user accounts so I thought I'd ask here. Plus, I'm sure I'm not the only one here who would like to know. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

T_O_A_D
11-07-2007, 05:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dbillo:
Well, I thought our pal T_O_A_D was going to drop some pearls of wisdom on that one! Have you tried the SC forum here?:

http://www.gennadich.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=13 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yer Ole buddy T_O_A_D is just as confused at this time too, spent last night meddling with it, to no avail. Planning of tinkering again in a bit.

Goanna
11-07-2007, 06:49 PM
There are a few limitations in targeting with IL2SC, which are mainly FMB related, basically you can either target individual objects or you can group them together into a target group. If you are grouping them then the maximum radius is 3km. You can have more than one target group. I have done up a page for my Squad explaining the "ini" file, have a look at it, it may help.

http://wte-anga.com/index.php?module=subjects&func=viewpage&pageid=8

Cheers

Goanna

BlitzPig_DDT
11-07-2007, 10:21 PM
Thanks Goanna. That is a more helpful explanation than what's in the Help.htm file. And it sounds like what I feared..... It's more about COOPs and COOP-like DF servers (with specific mission objectives: that airfield, or this armor column, or that ship), rather than goal oriented DF servers (where you have ground objects littered about the map and people have to take out, say 20 tanks, but there might be 60 on the map, and they might not be destroyed all in one area).

Kind of a bummer, but I also, the way it does do targets is nice too (I just wish it did both).

One question - do you need to put the targets on the map in the FMB first, or is it just all in the mission ini file (for IL2SC)?

Goanna
11-07-2007, 11:13 PM
Hi BlitzPig,
You can specify individually all of the targets you want taken out on a given map, however if, as in your example, you wanted to take out 20 of 60 targets then the ini file would be quite (read very) long, because you would have to include various combinations to cover any 20 out of 60.

Alternatively you could have multiple target groups spread over the map.

You can leave the target info in the mission file, IL2SC doesn't use it, I mainly use the target function in FMB to set the target radius and then cut and paste the info from the mission file to the ini file.

Cheers

Goanna

T_O_A_D
11-08-2007, 06:22 AM
Very nice Post Goanna,
I found most of all that last night, else where on Comms.

Now I see no need to post it.

I'm wondering, do you have to have the Data Base to be able to sign into the server as an admin?

I'm haveing no luck with that.

Also no luck using the GUI when clicking Next MaP.

Goanna
11-08-2007, 07:54 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by T_O_A_D:
Very nice Post Goanna,
I found most of all that last night, else where on Comms.

Now I see no need to post it.

I'm wondering, do you have to have the Data Base to be able to sign into the server as an admin?

I'm haveing no luck with that.

Also no luck using the GUI when clicking Next MaP. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Toad,
No you don't have to have a database connected to do most things - the database is there predominately for the recording of stats. The big thing with the admin part is getting the syntax correct - there are 2 ways of setting up an admin - either thru the IL2SC GUI or direct editing of the admin.txt file.

In the GUI you need to enter the info similar to what I have in the picture below. Syntax is as follows;
IP:Username: password:0 or 1 (had to put is a couple of spaces between the colon and the P to counter a smiley) - 0 is a "Game admin" and a 1 is a "Superadmin". If you don't want to specify a specific IP you can enter a *

The other important thing here is that the username must be the same as your hyperlobby name, if using online, or the ingame name if using locally or on a LAN.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/smeefarkya/il2sc.jpg

To log in as an admin from ingame bring up the chat bar and using the example from the picture above, type in;

&lt;admin&lt;mypassword

Send that to a Server channel (create one if you have to) otherwise everyone on the server will be able to see your password. If the login is successful you will see the word "GOD" come up on screen.

Map lists can be done as well either in the GUI or direct in the missions.txt file. Both these files live in your IL2SC root folder by the way.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/smeefarkya/il2sc1.jpg

To move to the next map either click on the next map button on the main IL2SC GUI or login in as admin as I descibed above, bring up the chat bar and type in;
&lt;next and press enter (you don't have to send that command to the Server Channel) and hopefully the next map in the list should start.

A full list of available admin commands is in the help.htm file in the help folder under the IL2SC folder.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Goanna

BlitzPig_DDT
11-08-2007, 08:02 AM
TOAD, you do have a list of maps in your mission.txt file (moddable via the GUI by clicking on "Edit Map List"), right? The Next Map, and Restart button both work for me.

Something interesting (but I'm not sure how useful) I found out last night is that the mission .ini file is read each time the map is loaded. So you can change mission criterea, hit restart, and it re-reads it and adjusts accordingly. (was trying to stumble on something undocumented to do what I wanted lol)

Goanna - I was under the impression that multiple target points under 1 Target group ([Target 1], for example), would mean that ALL of them have to reach their assigned percentage in order to roll the map. And that multiple Target groups ([Target 1], [Target 2], [Target 3] and so on) would be an either/or condition where any one of them could be satisfied and roll the map.

If that is true, I don't really understand what you're saying.

For example. Let's say I have a group of 8 ships on a map, and I want 5 of them to be destroyed as a mission criterea. And let's say they are strewn about the map, far too spread out for any target radius. FBD would let me set the criteria at 5 ships, and that would be that. But how could that be duplicated with any length ini file (as you suggest)? If I put all 8 ships in 1 Target group, then all 8 need to be destroyed. If I make multiple Target groups, then less than my desired number need to be destroyed.

This is just curiosity at this point. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I'm already considering how I can re-think map making with this in mind, but it's still fun to dig. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Goanna
11-08-2007, 09:04 AM
For example. Let's say I have a group of 8 ships on a map, and I want 5 of them to be destroyed as a mission criterea. And let's say they are strewn about the map, far too spread out for any target radius. FBD would let me set the criteria at 5 ships, and that would be that. But how could that be duplicated with any length ini file (as you suggest)? If I put all 8 ships in 1 Target group, then all 8 need to be destroyed. If I make multiple Target groups, then less than my desired number need to be destroyed.

This is just curiosity at this point. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I'm already considering how I can re-think map making with this in mind, but it's still fun to dig. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You'd have to do it along the lines of;
[Target1]
1=coords etc of ship 1
2=coords etc of ship 2
3=coords etc of ship 3
4=coords etc of ship 4
5=coords etc of ship 5

[Target2}
1=coords etc of ship 1
2=coords etc of ship 2
3=coords etc of ship 3
4=coords etc of ship 4
5=coords etc of ship 6

[Target3]
1=coords etc of ship 1
2=coords etc of ship 2
3=coords etc of ship 3
4=coords etc of ship 4
5=coords etc of ship 7

[Target4]
1=coords etc of ship 1
2=coords etc of ship 2
3=coords etc of ship 3
4=coords etc of ship 4
5=coords etc of ship 8

[Target5]
1=coords etc of ship 1
2=coords etc of ship 3
3=coords etc of ship 4
4=coords etc of ship 5
5=coords etc of ship 6

etc etc until you'd covered all the possibilities of mixing and matching any 5 out of 8. Would be a very time consuming process but possible. Dunno that I'd be wanting to do it :P

Cheers

Goanna

T_O_A_D
11-08-2007, 10:03 AM
Thanks Goanna
I'll try that admin as you posted tonight.
one of the reasons I never left my server on 7/24 years ago when IL2SC came out was I never could figure out the admin stuff.

Yes DDT I have multiple maps in the list.
and they all have an ini file.

The Next map feature always worked years ago, one of the main reasons I went away from FBD, was that and the GUI.

Like you I miss the target counting of FBD though.

BlitzPig_DDT
11-08-2007, 10:42 AM
TOAD, they shouldn't all need ini files, unless you want them to have them. When you click the next map button, what do you see in the DS command window? Anything? Have you tried manually loading a new map in the DS command window?

Goanna, thanks again. I see where you're going with that. I never even thought of that. doh! And you're right, for larger numbers of objects that gets too unweildy. Which is a bit of a shame. But might be worth doing in some cases.

I think I'm just going to re-examine goals and criteria and basically redesign some maps. (the other features are too good to give up)

BlitzPig_DDT
11-08-2007, 08:26 PM
Another question -

When limiting planes and loadouts, how to you increase the warning time?

I've followed the threat at GT, and some htere had the problem as well, but I don't see a resolution (maybe I'm just missing it).

I've tweaked the warning level in the ini file, but no matter what I set things to, I always get 1 warning, and I'm kicked. No time to go back and make a change.

T_O_A_D
11-08-2007, 08:39 PM
Yep got teh admin stuff figured out finally Thanks so much.

Changing map still broken, I even went and got the latest version, I still had 2.01 installed, now it is 2.02

when I click or typ next map all it does is resart the one I already have going.

I've tried several different missions, thinking maybe the one I had has an error or something.

Goanna
11-09-2007, 01:46 AM
Another question -

I've followed the threat at GT, and some htere had the problem as well, but I don't see a resolution (maybe I'm just missing it).

I've tweaked the warning level in the ini file, but no matter what I set things to, I always get 1 warning, and I'm kicked. No time to go back and make a change. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The way the kick system works is that you will get kicked once you have accumulated 100 points, so if you want more than one warning on the advanced commander configuration page change the plane play value from the default 100 to say 20, that way 5 warnings are issued before the player is kicked. If players have their message bar too narrow or there is a lot of server chat it is easy to miss the warnings.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/smeefarkya/il2sc2.jpg

Cheers

Goanna

BlitzPig_DDT
11-09-2007, 01:01 PM
Thanks, I'll try that out.

OOC - can bridges be made targets? I mean, I know you can put the target circle there, it's just X-Y, R, and %, but will it be counted if it's blown up? Or do you need to fake it out with vehicles hidden there?

JG6_Oddball
11-09-2007, 04:34 PM
Same mission first on on the list.

Yeh quit runing it about 6 months after you quite, and we both slowed down quit with this serving stuff.

But to insure I get the game I want, now with the Hack and all, I'm getting back into it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by T_O_A_D:
Yep got teh admin stuff figured out finally Thanks so much.

Changing map still broken, I even went and got the latest version, I still had 2.01 installed, now it is 2.02

when I click or typ next map all it does is resart the one I already have going.

I've tried several different missions, thinking maybe the one I had has an error or something. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

TOAD does it restart the same map or mission over and over? or what ever mission you put first on the list? I ran SC but that was almost 3 years ago so my memories are a little foggy http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

S!

JG6_Oddball
11-09-2007, 04:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Goanna:
Another question -

I've tweaked the warning level in the ini file, but no matter what I set things to, I always get 1 warning, and I'm kicked. No time to go back and make a change. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The way the kick system works is that you will get kicked once you have accumulated 100 points, so if you want more than one warning on the advanced commander configuration page change the plane play value from the default 100 to say 20, that way 5 warnings are issued before the player is kicked. If players have their message bar too narrow or there is a lot of server chat it is easy to miss the warnings.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/smeefarkya/il2sc2.jpg

Cheers

Goanna </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

is SC giving the message or the game?

S!

Goanna
11-09-2007, 08:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JG6_Oddball:

is SC giving the message or the game?

S! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I remember correctly IL2SC sends the message. There used to be an issue (maybe still is, haven't checked for a while) with messages stored in the netmessages.properties file not being displayed when running IL2SC.

@TOAD, did you rename the server.exe and server_new.exe files in you server root folder when installing IL2SC?

Cheers

Goanna

T_O_A_D
11-10-2007, 06:50 PM
Yes I renamed the Server.exe to IL2fb.exe so Hyperlobby could see it. But left a copy of the original in the root folder for IL2SC.

Oh and it looks like edited Oddballs post above by accident when I intended to quote him http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

Goanna
11-10-2007, 08:52 PM
Yes I renamed the Server.exe to IL2fb.exe so Hyperlobby could see it. But left a copy of the original in the root folder for IL2SC.

Oh and it looks like edited Oddballs post above by accident when I intended to quote him http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm thinking that's where your problem re map changing may be. Rename the original server.exe to server.orig.exe or whatever and rename the server_new.exe to server.exe. Then double click on il2fb.exe and you should see a dos box which loads up the server, when it has settled down ie finished loading start IL2SC and in the dos box you should see the new mission (ie the first one in your mission list) start. Then click the next map button and see if it is working.

Cheers

Goanna

BlitzPig_DDT
11-10-2007, 10:49 PM
Goanna, for some reason the warn level thing didn't work before, but it does now. Thanks. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

TOAD, I did what G just mentioned and the next map button works for me. Only my server.exe is now server-pre.exe, and windows solitare (sol.exe) is il2fb (and server_new.exe is now sever.exe). So I launch server-pre, then HL, then IL2SC, then when the server has settled, I click start on the GUI and it launches a second box, then closes it and starts a new mission on the DS. Then I launch a game in HL and solitare fires up.

That way when people join, or if they launch with me, they go straight into a loaded game, saving time.

G, any word on the bridges as targets? Can they be designated and tracked by IL2SC? Or would I need to put some trucks there to 'fake it out'?

Goanna
11-10-2007, 11:28 PM
Goanna, for some reason the warn level thing didn't work before, but it does now. Thanks. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

TOAD, I did what G just mentioned and the next map button works for me. Only my server.exe is now server-pre.exe, and windows solitare (sol.exe) is il2fb (and server_new.exe is now sever.exe). So I launch server-pre, then HL, then IL2SC, then when the server has settled, I click start on the GUI and it launches a second box, then closes it and starts a new mission on the DS. Then I launch a game in HL and solitare fires up.

That way when people join, or if they launch with me, they go straight into a loaded game, saving time.

G, any word on the bridges as targets? Can they be designated and tracked by IL2SC? Or would I need to put some trucks there to 'fake it out'? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fake it out is the go I'm afraid http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Cheers

Goanna

JG6_Oddball
11-11-2007, 01:23 AM
sorry guys...I cant remember how I congig'ed mine http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif I just remember the database was a pain to set up and then link it to my site and so on http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif

do you plan to run the DB localy? (in your house)

S!

HeinzBar
05-18-2008, 07:42 AM
S!,
Wow, I really had to dig for this one. I have a question for any of you il2sc users out there. I think I'm pretty handy with it, but I have a problem.

In FMB, one can set his targets to primary, 2ndry, or hidden. Now in il2sc, one can turn on or off the notification of target locations. I'm wanting to create a secret target, but I also wish to leave the il2sc notification on.

EX. Target 1 primary, Target 2 2ndry, Target 3 hidden. Player 1 types in the chat bar, &lt;targets. il2sc then displays the coordinates to the primary & 2ndry target, but Target 3 remains hidden.

Do you think this is possible? If so, how?

TIA,
HB