PDA

View Full Version : Where did it all go?

RNZAFJay
08-05-2005, 08:09 PM
I was just wondering about something I guess we don't think about that much. When you miss with you guns/cannons or drop your droptanks or bombs ( http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif!) its all going somewhere (down, basically).

In the Pacific this maybe wouldn't have mattered much (except over Japan at the end) but Europe is heavily populated.

I wonder if we can dig up storys of people being hit but falling bullets or droptanks. Sounds a bit Monty Python but I'm sure it happened. Having dinner with your family on a farm in France or German when a silver tube like object busts through the roof http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif.

Also after WW2, somebody had to clean all that mess up. Ever wonder who it was and how much that job would have sucked. Its a bit like cleaning up after a wild party gone wrong except on a bigger scale and with tanks, planes, bombs, dead folks and stuff.

RNZAFJay
08-05-2005, 08:09 PM
I was just wondering about something I guess we don't think about that much. When you miss with you guns/cannons or drop your droptanks or bombs ( http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif!) its all going somewhere (down, basically).

In the Pacific this maybe wouldn't have mattered much (except over Japan at the end) but Europe is heavily populated.

I wonder if we can dig up storys of people being hit but falling bullets or droptanks. Sounds a bit Monty Python but I'm sure it happened. Having dinner with your family on a farm in France or German when a silver tube like object busts through the roof http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif.

Also after WW2, somebody had to clean all that mess up. Ever wonder who it was and how much that job would have sucked. Its a bit like cleaning up after a wild party gone wrong except on a bigger scale and with tanks, planes, bombs, dead folks and stuff.

Atomic_Marten
08-05-2005, 08:22 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RNZAFJay:
Sounds a bit Monty Python but I'm sure it happened. Having dinner with your family on a farm in France or German when a silver tube like object busts through the roof http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://free-vk.t-com.hr/domagoj/smileys/montypython.gif

BurningBeard
08-05-2005, 08:31 PM
I had an Uncle in the Pacific during the war that said that he hated to hear the AA start up because they were on the other side of the Island and downrange. Their only recourse was to hunker down and cover up with anything they could.

Beard

LStarosta
08-05-2005, 08:36 PM
Hah... That's a bit ironic. Who cares where empty drop tanks fall when people drop droptanks full of high explosives (aka bombs) intentionally on populated areas...

Achilles_NZ
08-05-2005, 08:51 PM
I saw an episode of the "Antiques Roadshow" (UK version) a little while back that had something of interest along those lines.

One of the mansions that featured in this particular episode (cant recall location sorry) had one of those large solid Oak? dining tables in one of the main upstairs living rooms.
Anyway, during the battle of Britain a round had come straight through one of the large windows at a very steep angle and imbedded itself into this lovely solid wood tabletop.
The original owners had left it as it was and never had the tabletop refinished.
It was undetermined if the round was from enemy or friendly fire.

I would imagine that it would be quite a cool conversational topic when having guests around, to point out the damage.

RNZAFJay
08-05-2005, 08:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BurningBeard:
I had an Uncle in the Pacific during the war that said that he hated to hear the AA start up because they were on the other side of the Island and downrange. Their only recourse was to hunker down and cover up with anything they could.

Beard </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wonder if you shot AA straight up if the rounds would fall back down on you.

Fox_3
08-05-2005, 09:11 PM
There must be a UXB dug up every year by unsuspecting construction workers in London or one of the major British Cities.

33 Squadron EOD Royal Engineers, are responsible in the UK for their disposal.

Zeus-cat
08-05-2005, 09:39 PM
I saw a story (can't remember if it was TV or newspaper) where it talked about Arabs shooting their guns in the air in celebration of something and the falling rounds occasionally killing someone. Rare, but it does happen.

Zeus-cat

Tully__
08-06-2005, 02:18 AM
There are numerous accounts of both casualties and near misses by both spent air to air ordnance and spent ground based AA.

WarWolfe_1
08-06-2005, 07:18 AM
Some years ago a woman was standing at the sink doing dishes and was looking at a spoon to make sure it was clean, when a 9mm round came through the window and bounced off the spoon. It saved her life more than likely as it was nealy in front of her face.

I've also been pheasnt hunting and been hit by pellets from a shotgun. The gun was fired nearly 200 yards away. Hurt somewhat but not to bad luckly I was wearing sunglasses.

Taylortony
08-06-2005, 07:47 AM
It used to happen when I was in Germany, we had a hill at the end of the runway that was used for digging out and filling sandbags etc, one one occasion they were bombed by a Jaguar taking off which had its 28kg practice bombs fall off and go pop... (Big flash Bang, lot of dirty underwear)

Had a Jaguar on Exercise with an American in the back as a monitor as they were doing dummy attacks, he was flicking the cover on the jettison switch in boredom and accidentally blew off all the stores, drop tanks, the lot... I have never seen a pilot move so fast, no sooner had we clipped the ladders on the side than he was down the side of the plane, up the other ladder had the canopy open and smacked the American squarely in the face with one of the best right handers I have ever seen.... others we used to have was low level over the plains and the brake drogue chute would deploy, instant braking effect, then it would rip itself out of the plane and it would carry on.

On a lighter note I was in a Puma Helicopter on my way out to Copenhagen for a Jolly.... err training exercise..... we had handed out the white packed lunch boxes and was sitting in the jump seat between the pilots when the captain looking in discust at yet another RAF cold cooked chicken leg promptly opened the DV window and through it out.... errrr we were over Antwerp at the time, I often wondered what someone thought to find a cooked Chicken leg falling out of the sky nicely wrapped in clingfilm.... hehehehee

NorrisMcWhirter
08-06-2005, 07:47 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">One of the mansions that featured in this particular episode (cant recall location sorry) had one of those large solid Oak? dining tables in one of the main upstairs living rooms... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Vanished.....Like an old oak table.

Ta,
Norris

x__CRASH__x
08-06-2005, 08:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RNZAFJay:
I wonder if you shot AA straight up if the rounds would fall back down on you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Nope. The Earth spins. So you would be at a different spot when the round returns to Earth.

Atomic_Marten
08-06-2005, 08:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by x__CRASH__x:
I wonder if you shot AA straight up if the rounds would fall back down on you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Nope. The Earth spins. So you would be at a different spot when the round returns to Earth. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He he that is correct. Also we can use the wind speed in our calculations too. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Utchoud
08-06-2005, 08:41 AM
I've read that in Hanoi, SA-2 sites were placed directly in the city, and the first stages of the missiles caused damage to property every time the Americans attacked the city.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Also after WW2, somebody had to clean all that mess up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think anyone cared for this too much. But I've read that the Germans collected allied droptanks to recover metal from them, and this was one of the reasons for deploying new droptanks made of hardened paper by the USAAF.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I wonder if you shot AA straight up if the rounds would fall back down on you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It won't. Ask raaaid why http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif - Coriolis force. The distance at which the round will fall X is

[CENSORED. Formulas have no place in this forum ] http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

w = angular velocity of the Earth
v = initial velocity of the round
fi = geographical latitude
g = acceleration due to gravity

Utchoud
08-06-2005, 08:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by x__CRASH__x:
Nope. The Earth spins. So you would be at a different spot when the round returns to Earth. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, this fact itself is not the reason, because the round already has the angular velocity of the Earth when it is fired. If you were right, the round would fall pretty far away.

x__CRASH__x
08-06-2005, 08:56 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

I knew the geeks would whip out the formulas! LMAO!!

EURO_Snoopy
08-06-2005, 09:22 AM
Where's me slide rule?