PDA

View Full Version : small noob problem

Lee1854
09-29-2007, 08:44 PM
I've just loaded up Pacific Fighters, and I'm having a terrible time taking off. I found these forums, and you may be the answer to my problem. It seems that every second or so, the throttle resets to 9%, from whatever I've set it to. Obviously, this means I'm not getting anywhere fast.
I've searched the Control settings, and nothing seems to match this.
Any ideas?

Lee1854
09-29-2007, 08:44 PM
I've just loaded up Pacific Fighters, and I'm having a terrible time taking off. I found these forums, and you may be the answer to my problem. It seems that every second or so, the throttle resets to 9%, from whatever I've set it to. Obviously, this means I'm not getting anywhere fast.
I've searched the Control settings, and nothing seems to match this.
Any ideas?

Skycat_2
09-29-2007, 10:48 PM
Offhand, I'd say that this is not a common problem. My guess is that it is caused by your peripheral controls, not something within the software.

Let's start with your basic setup. Are you using a joystick with a throttle lever and/or a HOTAS throttle control? Are you setting your throttle using keyboard commands or through a peripheral device?

DKoor
09-30-2007, 06:41 AM
Skycat is right.............you have probably set your throttle command to some rotary, HOTAS throttle control, mouse wheel or something.

Go to your Controls section, and check out the throttle controls.
That is on the bottom of the screen.

Lee1854
09-30-2007, 09:20 PM
Ah, got it. Yes, there is a throttle control on the stick. I've not played any PC air games in a loooong time, so the stick I am borrowing to try out the game is really newfangled to me.

Next question: when adjusting trim, does one hold down the buttons, or punch them over and over again? I've gotten a plane in the air, but just flying straight and level needs a lot of stick-work.

VW-IceFire
09-30-2007, 10:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lee1854:
Ah, got it. Yes, there is a throttle control on the stick. I've not played any PC air games in a loooong time, so the stick I am borrowing to try out the game is really newfangled to me.

Next question: when adjusting trim, does one hold down the buttons, or punch them over and over again? I've gotten a plane in the air, but just flying straight and level needs a lot of stick-work. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Both methods work...you can tap tap tap or hold it down. I normally tap it unless I need to make a big change in trim. Usually 5-6 taps on the elevator will do.

Depending on the plane you may need allot or just a little rudder trim.

Lee1854
10-02-2007, 09:25 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lee1854:

Next question: when adjusting trim, does one hold down the buttons, or punch them over and over again? I've gotten a plane in the air, but just flying straight and level needs a lot of stick-work. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Both methods work...you can tap tap tap or hold it down. I normally tap it unless I need to make a big change in trim. Usually 5-6 taps on the elevator will do.

Depending on the plane you may need allot or just a little rudder trim. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess my question should have been: is there a maximum trim? If I hold the button down ad infinitum, what happens? How can I tell I've hit the max. setting?
Also, thanks to Zeus-cat, I've started on the "Straight from the farm" campaign. So far, I've had 2 take-off accidents, several good ones and a horrible, but successful, landing.

jluisv
10-03-2007, 09:26 AM
You can only add so much trim, after you hit the limit any more taps or holding down the key doesn't do zip.

Oh, and remember, any landing you walk away from is a good landing.

buzzsaw1939
10-03-2007, 10:26 AM
I think I understand your question a little better, if your in flight, set your trim to your attitude, in other words, push your trim button to level the plane, if your nose is going up, push trim down, till you are level, you will have to pratice it before you will understand it! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Zeus-cat
10-07-2007, 01:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Also, thanks to Zeus-cat, I've started on the "Straight from the farm" campaign. So far, I've had 2 take-off accidents, several good ones and a horrible, but successful, landing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like a typical night for my squadron commander on squad night. Glad the missions are helpful.