PDA

View Full Version : Defensive Tactics Anyone?

stitchjones1971
02-26-2007, 05:14 PM
Does anyone have any techniques that they can share with me regarding defensive tactics?

I have been flying the George around and I'm having trouble avoiding the classic bounce, i.e., the enemy dives from 1500+ meters above me and attempts to attack my six.

Do any of the old pros out there have any suggestions? Thanks!!

stitchjones1971
02-26-2007, 05:14 PM
Does anyone have any techniques that they can share with me regarding defensive tactics?

I have been flying the George around and I'm having trouble avoiding the classic bounce, i.e., the enemy dives from 1500+ meters above me and attempts to attack my six.

Do any of the old pros out there have any suggestions? Thanks!!

Bearcat99
02-26-2007, 05:28 PM
Try this:
IN PURSUIT: A Pilot's Guide to Online Air Combat (http://web.comhem.se/%7Eu85627360/)
Also consider Joint Ops... the link is in my sig below.

tomtheyak
02-26-2007, 05:31 PM
Timing is the key.

Even in the Spitfire being bounced by a 109/190, beginning the break turn too early can present your attacker with a good plan view shot... admittedly it's at 90ºAOT but if hes any good at shooting all he has to do his rain his fire across your path and if he's a ways back its easier to adjust his aim for him to do it.

The trick is to sweat it out till he's just out of range... you risk getting tagged by a lucky/highly skilled long range golden bb but it means that as you break, there is no way his nose can be brought to bear ahead of your plane because of his high speed and his proximity.
If he's coming from a high quarter, always break across his nose if he's out of firing range. If he is in range, he's probably firing in which case stay well away from the bright flashy things that are dancing around your aeroplane!

Chuck in plenty of rudder anyway you please to keep the plane uncoordinated (and him guessing at where you're pointed at). And if you can, try to make him lose sight of you - if you're in his gunsight, then there's a lovely big motor (generally speaking) only 6 ft in front of him; that can be used to your advantage if you can tuck under his nose and make him lose sight of you.

Hope these help!

BadA1m
02-26-2007, 05:36 PM
Don't get below the enemy. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

O.K., I was being a smart a$$ but it's still true. Altitude and Airspeed are life, just like in WWII, climb , climb, climb. If you have altitude, it can be traded for airspeed, and that airspeed can then be traded back for altitude (if you don't waste it). It's called Energy management and it's all important to fighting in aircraft.

And what those guys said! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

BillyTheKid_22
02-26-2007, 05:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bearcat99:
Try this:
IN PURSUIT: A Pilot's Guide to Online Air Combat (http://web.comhem.se/%7Eu85627360/)
Also consider Joint Ops... the luinkis in my sig below. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great read!!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

BadA1m
02-26-2007, 05:46 PM
Also, and I'm not real familliar with the George but if it's any thing like some of the other Japanese planes, try to sucker the guys in the American planes into a low and slow turnfight, nearly all of the American planes excell at high speed, high altitude but they dont do so well down low once they bleed their energy off.

major_setback
02-26-2007, 06:18 PM
Keep just enough altitude to allow you to roll the plane and pull back on the stick to reverse your direction. They will have a much higher speed and can't follow that move (roll on your back and pull back on the stick), or do a sharp turn diagonally downwards, it works too.

A second tip. If they are coming up close behind jinx the aircraft: Power off; flaps down; and do quick jerky movements back and forth (and up and down) to bleed of speed so your (following) opponent overshoots and has difficulty aiming (go very low too). Full power and flaps up as soon as he's passed, and with luck you might even get a shot on him.

Practice jinxing! The most valuable tip you'll get!

3rd tip. Learn to side slip the aircraft using opposite rudder to the aileron position you are using ie turn to the left with the ailerons but use opposite rudder to what you would usually use. the aircraft will slide sideways through the air and you become a difficult target to hit. Slip first to one side then the other.

Chris0382
02-26-2007, 06:41 PM
Just as as a plane is on your six. Speed up full speed nose into the skay and drop your landig gear. It will break off and fly into the enemies windshield.

Would be neat

Actually assign the v-v-v and f-f-f to an easy reached button on your stick so you can do all flaps down and up easily. Flaps down after decreasing speed.

badatit
02-26-2007, 11:21 PM
When all else fails...

Bandits on your six!
He's in gun range and you've tried but cant shake him.
TURN! Pull five or six G's and keep turning.
In this scenario, if he wants to put rounds on target, he's gonna have to pull considerable lead.
At this point your pulling G's, turning, and watching him over your shoulder. The instant he fires you know your under his nose out of his view.
Kick down rudder, slam the stick forward, roll over and dive away.
At this point he's completely lost sight of you. Extend toward friendlies.

Zoom2136
02-27-2007, 09:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by major_setback:
Keep just enough altitude to allow you to roll the plane and pull back on the stick to reverse your direction. They will have a much higher speed and can't follow that move (roll on your back and pull back on the stick), or do a sharp turn diagonally downwards, it works too.

A second tip. If they are coming up close behind jinx the aircraft: Power off; flaps down; and do quick jerky movements back and forth (and up and down) to bleed of speed so your (following) opponent overshoots and has difficulty aiming (go very low too). Full power and flaps up as soon as he's passed, and with luck you might even get a shot on him.

Practice jinxing! The most valuable tip you'll get!

3rd tip. Learn to side slip the aircraft using opposite rudder to the aileron position you are using ie turn to the left with the ailerons but use opposite rudder to what you would usually use. the aircraft will slide sideways through the air and you become a difficult target to hit. Slip first to one side then the other. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

YEP this is called making yourself a SITTING DUCK...

If your apponent is any good... he will see this... and

A) Will slide slip himself... and do a high yo-yo... then he is on your tail tight... and you are history...

B) He will climb... slide slip (when climbing) while rolling is plane inverted... to keep you in sight... and he will dive down on you... and blst you out of the sky...

My favorite are :

1) Spot him... if he bounces you from up high... he is coming in fast... roll you plane left and dive to the right... most pilot are right handed... and our natural reflex is to flip the stick to the left and pull (meaning a left break)... rolling past the left break and and going into a right hand break is less common...

2) Put some vertical element in your manoeuvers... if he is diving... make a diving break turn and pull up a start climbing ASAP... he will most probably... try to correct is path by A) turning, B) dropping his nose and then will have to raise his nose... Most often he will black out if he was fast...

3) While doing the above... call in help on comms...

4) All manoeuvers should be made so that you always cut inside him... this will force him to bleed energy...

AND most important... when you see tracers... take a second to figure out were they are reletive to your plane... cause our natural relflex is to turn in the direction we are looking at... meaning that most pilot will turn into the bullet stream rather than away from it...

BSS_CUDA
02-27-2007, 09:33 AM
your best defensive tactics are to
1. KNOW YOUR PLANE. too many people fly every plane in the game and never REALLY learn any one plane well

2. KNOW YOUR ENEMY. know aht your plane can do against the enemy's you fly against.

"A man's got to know his limitations" Dirty Harry

if you dont know your plane limitations and fly to them, there is no defensive tactic in the world that will help you.

JG14_Josf
02-27-2007, 09:45 AM
Scroll down to Scissors (http://www.d-n-i.net/boyd/pdf/boydaerialattack.pdf)

KaleunFreddie
02-27-2007, 01:18 PM
For all that volumes of manuals are worth.. they will not save you in that critical moment.
If you think that following a predefined path with save you, you're mistaken as that person
behind you has read the same book.

Rules of defensive combat are simple..

- Never to lose sight of your attacker.
- Know your plane as well as his.
- Don't think about what you're doing... just do it.
- In the heat of battle he's just as stressed as you. You know he's there.
He doesn't know if anybody's behind him .
- The defensive position is the best offensive position. You have nothing to lose - He has everything.

Every plane has it's quirks, use them to your advantage.. As an example -&gt; I usully fly FW190 that has a massive torque pull to the left when applying full throttle. When I want to roll fast to the right I cut the throttle, and visa versa. If I want to pull a low speed stall defying turn to the right, I set up from zero power, bank right and pull hard.. as the stall starts I apply full throttle and nudge the rudder. I've sent many a P51 into the dirt without firing shot. I've used the same techniques on the P40 and well as a few Japanese planes. Radial engined planes are perfect for this type of flying.

The list goes on and on... try every plane and continiously push them to the limits. You'll get the idea.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Viper2005_
02-27-2007, 01:49 PM
1) Work on your SA so that you don't get bounced in the first place.

2) There are all sorts of gun defences out there, but really it all comes down to getting out of plane with your opponent and then either pulling or pushing since this forces him to roll.

3) Scissors are all very well, but make sure you don't just bank 90º - if you do then a decent pilot will blast you the first time you pass in front of him - 90º deflection shots are easy enough at close range, and it only takes one good hit to kill or cripple.

p-11.cAce
02-27-2007, 02:20 PM
"When you see an agent - do what we do...RUN!"
Ok call me chicken but my defensive tactic is to get clean, get low, and run run run towards the nearest friendly base. Online this is usually accompanied by cries of "HELP!" over the TS and swarms of friendlies coming down to bag whoever came down after me. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
It's not manly but it works!