PDA

View Full Version : I'm almost NOT looking forward to SOW

na85
09-08-2009, 10:11 PM
First of all, my two loves in this game are: 1) VVS aircraft and 2) Luftwaffe aircraft.

If there was a squad or dedicated server that provided these 2 things I would be in air combat heaven. While I'll be able to fly the 109 in SOW, I don't expect there will be any VVS action any time soon. So that's a mark against it.

But secondly and perhaps more poignantly, SOW's development cycle is taking so long, I'm beginning to wonder if it will be just bloatware.

I've said this before but I think it bears repeating: Modeling tire treads on ground vehicles is a WASTE OF 1C's time.

Just release the damn game already, and if the series decides to add ground-based combat in the future, update the models and LODs then.

And thirdly, let's face it: The Battle of Britain is the most over-done, overmarketed, mundane, boring, clichéd theatre of the 2nd world war. I'd much rather fly a mediterranean scenario or an 8th airforce scenario or a north-africa scenario than the freaking battle of britain.

na85
09-08-2009, 10:11 PM
First of all, my two loves in this game are: 1) VVS aircraft and 2) Luftwaffe aircraft.

If there was a squad or dedicated server that provided these 2 things I would be in air combat heaven. While I'll be able to fly the 109 in SOW, I don't expect there will be any VVS action any time soon. So that's a mark against it.

But secondly and perhaps more poignantly, SOW's development cycle is taking so long, I'm beginning to wonder if it will be just bloatware.

I've said this before but I think it bears repeating: Modeling tire treads on ground vehicles is a WASTE OF 1C's time.

Just release the damn game already, and if the series decides to add ground-based combat in the future, update the models and LODs then.

And thirdly, let's face it: The Battle of Britain is the most over-done, overmarketed, mundane, boring, clichéd theatre of the 2nd world war. I'd much rather fly a mediterranean scenario or an 8th airforce scenario or a north-africa scenario than the freaking battle of britain.

WTE_Galway
09-08-2009, 10:21 PM
Looking forward to driving the trains.

Also the trout fishing in the Lakes District ...

Freiwillige
09-09-2009, 12:44 AM
While I do agree that the development time is bordering ridicules 2006...nope...2007....nope...2008...nope...2009???

I doubt that is Bloatware, Vaporware, imagination ware or any other ware.

Oleg has stated that it is getting close to completion and since he has no investors to lie to since it is him and his company I am sure he is giving an honest assessment.

I think that allot of it has to do with him waiting for current common technology to catch up. And allot of it has to do with the fact that as great as IL2 is it has its shortcomings and this time the amount of detail is going to be mind blowing. So you can say you wont buy it...but the truth is, when its released few will be able to stop you.

I would rather fly 10 extremely realistic modeled aircraft than 200 good enough's with some being better than others.

The visuals are going to be incredible, the physics on another level, the realism more than you can imagine.

Plus only one sim models the battle Of Britain well and that is BOBII but even it has shortcomings.

Have faith and have your credit card handy!http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

pupo162
09-09-2009, 01:30 AM
to be quite honest, SOW will be, at least for me, not enough, and ill probanly be back to il2 until some expansions packs are on.

One of the great adcantages of IL2 is defeneatly the number of planes available, and almost each one requires you to stdy it and fool around with it for a couple of days ( mayby a few months until you get good on it).

Sow will only have 10 planes, were at least the the spit and the 109 are no secret for me on how to fly or what tactics to use. the jabo missions will only be available with stucka wich i dont like much (prefer the ju88. Maybe level bombing and bomber action is the one thing i will explore more in SOW then i have explored in IL2.

so after quite some time on playing the same map, the same aircraft, reapinting the same cross the channel misions, ill get bored and will want to do a nother theatre and ill go back to the mighty IL2 (i will miss the sow graphics though)

Treetop64
09-09-2009, 02:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Freiwillige:

The visuals are going to be incredible, the physics on another level, the realism more than you can imagine.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And the hardware required to run all this stuff at acceptable levels will likely be prohibitively expensive, at least for the forseeable future.

While I am eager for SoW to be released, I am definitely in no big hurry for it. Unless the guys at 1C are complete and utter, level 80 geniuses in optimizing code, I won't be able to afford to build a powerful enough rig for it for at least another two years. Heck, my current rig - which is comfortably more than enough for virtually every game and sim out there, including FSX - hit it's first true test with the Kamov KA50 Attack Helo sim. It's minimum RAM requirement, for example, is already at 2 gigs. That's just enough to simply allow the program to boot up and run bare-bones. I have a feeling that SoW will be at least as demanding on hardware, if not more so. No thanks - I'll build my new Cray/Roadrunner clone first before I get SoW.

Moreover, like na85 I'm deeply snared into the Eastern Front theme that IL-2 is based on, and the sim is extremely rich in that theater. Even if SoW were released today, and I had the world's most powerful home computer to run it with, I would still be flying over the troubled region of western Russia for both the blue and red sides. That is, until at least the same theater - with as complete a presentation as available in 1946 - becomes available in SoW. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

ffb
09-09-2009, 03:35 AM
I'm more interested in 4.09 and the subsequent updates to include triggers than SOW ATM....

I'm looking forward to the great detail in land objects and trains etc. in SOW and hope the mission editor will be great..... as with il2 I expect to spend more time in the FMB than flying.

Freiwillige
09-09-2009, 04:06 AM
I think that you will be surprised at what SOW will offer, The devil's in the details! And if its anything like Oleg's hinted at these last few years I think the "My god I am really here" Feeling will be reborn.

Oleg and Co. are genius at optimizing code IL2 is the perfect example of that plus he has stated recently that if you can fly IL2 full graphics than SOW will run decently on your machine.

I think what people are expecting in SOW is IL2 with better graphics and only the BOB to fly in.

He has hinted many times that this will be different. Animated people! More realistic engine management behavior. The next generation in flight models. A far more realistic environment especially at base.

I sincerely doubt that he has spent the last 5 years just increasing polygons! I am sure we are all in for a deep surprise when SOW hits shelves!

Farran1966
09-09-2009, 04:57 AM
The Battle of Britain - Overdone, Mundane, boring?
Where do they come from?
I think you need a history lesson my friend.
I would imagine that the aerial combat in that theatre was as intense as in any other you can name.
The Luftwaffe was, at that point, at the top of their game with everything to play for. The British giving everything they had to hang on in there, by the skin of their teeth. That sounds pretty un-boring to me.
I also think you are missing the point that if and when Oleg delivers his next "best of breed" combat flight sim it isn’t going to stop with the BoB and so afterwards you will be able to have other theatres available.
So, if your small minded opinion stops you from lining Oleg's pockets then you may have just cancelled your own future.

danjama
09-09-2009, 04:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by na85:
I'd much rather fly a mediterranean scenario or an 8th airforce scenario or a north-africa scenario than the freaking battle of britain. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good for you. Speak for yourself though.

DKoor
09-09-2009, 05:09 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ffb:
I'm more interested in 4.09 and the subsequent updates to include triggers than SOW ATM....

I'm looking forward to the great detail in land objects and trains etc. in SOW and hope the mission editor will be great..... as with il2 I expect to spend more time in the FMB than flying. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>+1

I'm actually looking forward to IL-2 and its poor development much more than any other stuff outhere.

I'm aware that I wont have the money to play SoW properly probably 1 year AFTER the release so why bother with anxiously awaiting for release.

At least in my case.

To add salt to the wound I actually;

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by na85:

And thirdly, let's face it: The Battle of Britain is the most over-done, overmarketed, mundane, boring, clichéd theatre of the 2nd world war. I'd much rather fly a mediterranean scenario or an 8th airforce scenario or a north-africa scenario than the freaking battle of britain. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

...agree with almost all here completely.

Bearcat99
09-09-2009, 05:10 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Freiwillige:
I think that you will be surprised at what SOW will offer, The devil's in the details! And if its anything like Oleg's hinted at these last few years I think the "My god I am really here" Feeling will be reborn.

Oleg and Co. are genius at optimizing code IL2 is the perfect example of that plus he has stated recently that if you can fly IL2 full graphics than SOW will run decently on your machine.

I think what people are expecting in SOW is IL2 with better graphics and only the BOB to fly in.

He has hinted many times that this will be different. Animated people! More realistic engine management behavior. The next generation in flight models. A far more realistic environment especially at base.

I sincerely doubt that he has spent the last 5 years just increasing polygons! I am sure we are all in for a deep surprise when SOW hits shelves! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Couldn't have said it better myself.. and let's face it.. IL2.. as old as it is.. even if taken from the optimized engine for FB in 02.. is what.. 7-8 years old (longer if you consider the developement time for the engine..) and yet it can still look good on a 6 year old PC or a top of the line box of today.. I can't second guess what the plan is for SoW.. but from what I have seen of O & 1C they probably have a lot of the expansions already in the pipeline. I understand what you mean about the theater though nate... and I will bstill be flying IL2 until I can get my Mustang at least... but I think that 1C will revolutionize flight sims again... they have already raised the bar quite high.. I look forward to SoW myself..

R_Target
09-09-2009, 05:14 AM
I'm gonna lay down on those blades of individually modeled grass and watch the bickering. I may see if the lads at Bletchley Park will bring me an ULTRA machine and a phone line so I can read SoW forums.

megalopsuche
09-09-2009, 05:21 AM
And just in case no one would be provoked enough to respond...

And thirdly, let's face it: The Battle of Britain is the most over-done, overmarketed, mundane, boring, clichéd theatre of the 2nd world war. I'd much rather fly a mediterranean scenario or an 8th airforce scenario or a north-africa scenario than the freaking battle of britain. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

skarden
09-09-2009, 05:35 AM

I sincerely doubt that he has spent the last 5 years just increasing polygons! I am sure we are all in for a deep surprise when SOW hits shelves! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep,sums it up for me too. +1
Of course it won't run on current systems though,to build a game thats going to last the time that oleg has in mind for it,he would have to build it to whats going to be available as opposed to what is available.With the current rate of hardware improvments it would be bad buisness not to,From what I'v read about it its going to a very very upgradable game in ways that we probably cant even forsee yet.In my mind I'v no doubt that it will the premier WWII flight sim for many years after its release.
That said I will still be enjoying IL-2 for quiet some time yet.

stalkervision
09-09-2009, 05:38 AM
I want the Spanish civil war modeled. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

stalkervision
09-09-2009, 05:42 AM
Oh and I bet quite a few of you will be playing "Il-2 Birds of Pray" until the later SOW versions come out.. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

general_kalle
09-09-2009, 06:04 AM
well the game will have to be extremely good with no bugs, problems or any other sort of desapointments whatsoever to justify this loooooong waiting time. i mean it wont take much to let people be desapointed when the game has been this long underway. it just has to be good otherwise its been a waste of time. both for us and for 1c.

Feathered_IV
09-09-2009, 06:10 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I've said this before but I think it bears repeating: Modeling tire treads on ground vehicles is a WASTE OF 1C's time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That just gives the third-party modelling contractors something to do while they wait years for Oleg to finish his components to the game engine.

I think most of you are expecting waaaay too much from SoW anyway. I am amazed at some of the extraordinary features and details many are predicting, based on pure wishful thinking and not a jot of evidence. You'd think there was a real Spitfire in every box and Mrs. Maddox waiting to serve you bacon and eggs before each sortie the way many of you talk.

Personally all I anticipate are pretty models, high-end PC requirements, poor voice acting, disappointing campaigns, excellent damage modelling, the same online experience, and poor communication from the developers. How the rest will wail when all their grand features are either nonexistent or locked out until some distant future date.

KG26_Alpha
09-09-2009, 06:36 AM
Re SoW

Its taken over 3 years for the weather systems to modelled and programmed, apparently the guy doing the weather data base is really "into" it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

JG53Frankyboy
09-09-2009, 06:43 AM
i would say, just wait till you have it installed on your PC and you can see what it will bring.

than you still can decide if using it or going on using IL2 mostly !

FlatSpinMan
09-09-2009, 07:05 AM
So pretty much RoF then,FIV?http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Feathered_IV
09-09-2009, 08:11 AM
Yep. Thats pretty much what I was thinking. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/halo.gif

Choctaw111
09-09-2009, 08:45 AM
There will be people who agree with the original post. To be honest, and I have said this before, there was a time where I was so excited about SoW, but those days are long gone that I was pasted to the forums, starving for more info.
When it is released, I will be glad to buy it.
I think I should note that when the game is finally seen in its finished form, I don't believe too many will complain about tire treads, as everything Oleg and team is putting into this will come together beautifully.

doraemil
09-09-2009, 09:48 AM
I'm kinda lucky / unlucky . . . because of I got into IL-2 late (when 1946 came out http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif )

so I can enjoy IL-2 until and after SOW comes out.

And SOW will have its features and I'll have to get a new PC for that . . .

and I will not buy on the first run . . .

If Oleg n co are putting details like seeing tire tracks or aircraft shadows under cammo nets

that's awesome.

Then that means they are putting a level of detail you can really visually gauge how far your a/c is w/out icons.

The reason for that level of detail is Oleg's taking IL-2 to a new level.

Battle of Britain is a great starter point.

It is popular and Information on plane performances, battle details, aircrew accounts etc is vast and lots of areas to draw from.

- you get to see differences in certain things such as radar usage (by Brits and Germs) and weather. French and British weather in that era can be modelled easily (unlike blizzard ish Russian winters or So Pacific squalls)

- They get a landscape variety and ocean, beaches etc with this

- they can play with time modeling and scaling in regards to aircraft fuel . . . balance good game features with realisitic effects but not spend hours flying per game session . . .

And the area of battle is extensive but not a whole front.

- And yes SOW has worn out our patience. But I think Oleg didn't realize the scope. He wants to reproduce what made IL-2 so great, and gives much more. And so the project scope got out of hand.

But to me, that gives me time to enjoy IL-2

But hopefully its worth the wait.

Lots of people think ROF is the SOW slayer.

But its not as fun as IL-2. It's got pretty graphics. But the glitches Betamaxed it . ..

And the FM is arcadish. They have a biplane sight seeing tour crew by the local airport and I've flown / ridden in those things and ROF planes are modelled too fast. And these biplanes are built w/ modern tech / materials replica style (but they have rotory engines) but still slow (the news chopper and the police's ghetto bird always out pace the bi planes lol)

YOu can tell ROF is using a variant of IL 2 engine because the planes are so fast.

Sirrith
09-09-2009, 10:22 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by danjama:
I'd much rather fly a mediterranean scenario or an 8th airforce scenario or a north-africa scenario than the freaking battle of britain. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good for you. Speak for yourself though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
+1 Love the battle of britain scenario, always been my favourite and always will be.

MrSteven37
09-09-2009, 01:11 PM
Agreed, it was the most important battle of World War 2 in my opinion. You guys saying you're patience has run out... that's kind of sad, the game comes out when it comes out, just wait.

Chivas
09-09-2009, 01:30 PM
I would rather fly 16 high fidelity aircraft over cinematic terrain, with moving weather patterns, than two hundred aircraft with a 10 year old game engine. Eventually SOW should have far more aircraft and content than the IL-2 series.

I can understand people having concerns over the system requires to run SOW, but the IC team has a history of writing highly optimized code with options to accomodate dated systems.

There will be enough air combat and possible ground attack missions on both sides of the channel, to keep most of us busy for atleast a year. With the game engine complete it shouldn't take much more than a year to complete the map and aircraft required for each additonal theater.

The much improved modability factor built into SOW will quickly facilitate many user made addons like the Spanish Civil War, Battle of France, and Battle of Poland etc.

horseback
09-09-2009, 03:40 PM
Well, considering that the thing that started me on this path was arriving in England just after the celebration of the 20th Anniversary of the Battle of Britain, I am very much looking forward to the release of SoW:BoB (they are still calling it that, right?).

I’ve held off on my bi-annual computer upgrade, which was supposed to come this year, so that I will have the cash reserves for a major upgrade when Oleg’s overdue masterpiece finally arrives. I’ve had a serious case of overkill and unused potential for the last two-three years now, and I hope to finally make full use of a quad core, tons of really fast DDR2/3 RAM and a DirectX 10 capable video card with a Gig or more of its own dedicated DDR3 RAM.

The Battle of Britain is THE most important air battle of WWII; and while done to death, it has yet to be done even remotely right. I am really counting on Oleg coming much closer to doing that than anyone else has so far, and I look forward to facing bombers that won’t kill me or my engine from 800m away, smoking dozens of those little back-seat AI SOBs in their Me-110s and Stukas with near impunity, and flying at low level along the Channel coast dodging virtual sea gulls (and the occasional errant cricket ball).

I want to hear big band music during my mission brief. I want to do a six abreast takeoff during a scramble. I want to have to follow a vector from ground control through canyons of summer cumulus clouds right out of a Gainesborough painting, knowing that my ai opponent can be surprised as easily as I can.

I want to shoot down Dorniers!

cheers

horseback

buddye1
09-09-2009, 04:00 PM
After flying ROF for a while now and understanding ROF's pro's and con's, I am really looking forward to SOW. Oleg will produce a much better and more detailed flight sim than ROF, IMHO.

I also think that the BOB was the most important Air Battle in WWII. I can understand that the BOB is not everyone's favorite theater but Oleg had to make a decision to start someplace with a significant forward runway, limited A/C scope, and a historicly important and meaningful Air Battle of WWII.

BOB is not a bad choice, IMHO.

From a personal POV, I just hope Oleg makes full use of the Quad processor and then I should be good to go.

stalkervision
09-09-2009, 04:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by horseback:
Well, considering that the thing that started me on this path was arriving in England just after the celebration of the 20th Anniversary of the Battle of Britain, I am very much looking forward to the release of SoW:BoB (they are still calling it that, right?).

I’ve held off on my bi-annual computer upgrade, which was supposed to come this year, so that I will have the cash reserves for a major upgrade when Oleg’s overdue masterpiece finally arrives. I’ve had a serious case of overkill and unused potential for the last two-three years now, and I hope to finally make full use of a quad core, tons of really fast DDR2/3 RAM and a DirectX 10 capable video card with a Gig or more of its own dedicated DDR3 RAM.

The Battle of Britain is THE most important air battle of WWII; and while done to death, it has yet to be done even remotely right. I am really counting on Oleg coming much closer to doing that than anyone else has so far, and I look forward to facing bombers that won’t kill me or my engine from 800m away, smoking dozens of those little back-seat AI SOBs in their Me-110s and Stukas with near impunity, and flying at low level along the Channel coast dodging virtual sea gulls (and the occasional errant cricket ball).

I want to hear big band music during my mission brief. I want to do a six abreast takeoff during a scramble. I want to have to follow a vector from ground control through canyons of summer cumulus clouds right out of a Gainesborough painting, knowing that my ai opponent can be surprised as easily as I can.

cheers

horseback </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is the dornier even modeled in SOW? I don't recall seeing it in olegs shots.

Chivas
09-09-2009, 05:28 PM
Dornier 17 was originally listed as an AI aircraft. It seems the list of flyable aircraft has steadily increased since the game was first invisioned in 2003/4. These delays have certainly given the aircraft modellers and coders more time to increase the flyable list, so who knows what will be flyable in the initial release of the SOW.

WTE_Galway
09-09-2009, 05:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stalkervision:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by horseback:

cheers

horseback </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is the dornier even modeled in SOW? I don't recall seeing it in olegs shots. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I really do not follow SOW development, not that interested ... aside from the potential for trout fishing, a walking tour of the Pennines and some trout fishing will be fun.

HOWEVER I do kinda recall it originally being touted that the do17 would be released as AI only. Never heard of that changing.

na85
09-09-2009, 08:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The Battle of Britain is THE most important air battle of WWII </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For the RAF maybe.

Rebel_Yell_21
09-09-2009, 09:57 PM
I'm thankful for RoF. IL-2 circled the drain and finally slipped away as it becomes more and more likely that SOW is only evolutionary and won't be revolutionary. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

horseback
09-09-2009, 11:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The Battle of Britain is THE most important air battle of WWII </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For the RAF maybe. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>For the whole Allied cause. Only Midway comes close. Most of the time, air battles had little immediate effect and were subordinate to the ground or surface action.

The Battles of Britain and Midway were strictly air battles with no major subplots on the ground to speak of; plus they were tide turners that marked the high water marks of the Germans in the West and the Japanese expansion to their East (cliche alert).

cheers

horseback

Mr_Zooly
09-10-2009, 12:03 AM

For the RAF maybe. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hook is well baited there, well its either that or you really are ignorant about the importance of the Battle of Britain to the whole allied cause and direction the war took. Do you honestly think that the US (and many other Allied nations) would have been able to help Europe if Britain had fallen?

na85
09-10-2009, 12:20 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mr_Zooly:

Do you honestly think that the US (and many other Allied nations) would have been able to help Europe if Britain had fallen? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just because the BoB came first doesn't mean it is more important.

How about the aerial defense of convoys to supply Stalingrad and the defense of Stalingrad itself?

Aerial defense of Malta?

Air battles during the D-Day landings?

Midway?

Coral Sea?

All of these I consider equally as important to the war effort as the BoB.

WTE_Galway
09-10-2009, 12:20 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mr_Zooly:

For the RAF maybe. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hook is well baited there, well its either that or you really are ignorant about the importance of the Battle of Britain to the whole allied cause and direction the war took. Do you honestly think that the US (and many other Allied nations) would have been able to help Europe if Britain had fallen? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What did the Battle of Britain have to do with Britain falling ?

Operation Sealion was a farce ... crossing the channel in modified Rhine river barges that would capsize in a half meter swell ? Have you seen the English Channel ?

Aside from which the British did still have a fleet of sorts http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Its romantic to talk about the BoB saving Britain from invasion but historically the real Operation Sealion was part bluster and part ludicrous optimism on Hitler's part and could never have succeeded.

fly_zo
09-10-2009, 12:35 AM
... just like IL2 SoW will be the most advanced, most beautiful and most complex slide show at least for me . Then comes chasing hardware and playing cat and mouse with patches / new hardware /drivers ... just like it was with IL2 for 7 years

sounds like fun http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Z

Urufu_Shinjiro
09-10-2009, 11:17 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rebel_Yell_21:
I'm thankful for RoF. IL-2 circled the drain and finally slipped away as it becomes more and more likely that SOW is only evolutionary and won't be revolutionary. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seriously?! Read this interview here (http://www.simhq.com/_air11/air_341a.html) and tell me again that SoW will not be revolutionary....

ILikePortillos
09-10-2009, 12:54 PM
I probably won't get it. If the graphics requirements are so high that it runs like a slideshow on my machine, it would just serve to aggravate me. Gone are the days where I would consider buying a new machine to play a game.

If it's still available in 3 to 5 years, I'll pick up a copy for the $10 it will probably cost by then. Luckily, I'm still such a big fan of IL-2 1946. I just can't see getting tired of it for quite some time. It's really an impressive sim, even today.

horseback
09-10-2009, 03:10 PM
Somehow, I don't think it is going to be quite the system eating monster the original was to people with rigs that can generally handle the current crop of FPS, roleplayer and strategy games.

I played the original Il-2 Sturmovik on a eMachines 900MHz Celeron system fairly easily once I added a PCI video card with 32Mb RAM and added 128Mb of system RAM. Chances are good that you will be able to get reasonable frames per second with reduced video options.

The FMs and gameplay are more important than eyecandy to me.

cheers

horseback

Freiwillige
09-10-2009, 05:35 PM
Not to stray to far from topic but....
The Battle of Britain while being significant would not have led to Germany's invasion, at least not in 1940. The truth is that the BoB was a tool to scare the Brits into backing out so Hitler could turn east after his real goal.

I think that the most important air battle hands down is the one fought in late 43'throughout 44' and into 45' over Germany and France effectively destroying the Luftwaffe in a battle of attrition it could never hope to win.

The massive allied bomber raids caused Germany to pull more and more fighter units back from other fronts to defend Germany herself and by late 44' the slug fest over Europe was bleeding the Luftwaffe dry. The east front had a drastically reduced Luftwaffe by the time the Soviets started pushing back into German occupied territory. The war could have lasted much longer had the Luftwaffe existed in 43' strength during the Normandy invasion. By June of 1944 the Luftwaffe was a shadow of its former self all owing to the Strategic air war raging over Germany herself.

stalkervision
09-10-2009, 05:56 PM
The Battle of Britain while being significant would not have led to Germany's invasion, at least not in 1940. The truth is that the BoB was a tool to scare the Brits into backing out so Hitler could turn east after his real goal.

I think that the most important air battle hands down is the one fought in late 43'throughout 44' and into 45' over Germany and France effectively destroying the Luftwaffe in a battle of attrition it could never hope to win.

The massive allied bomber raids caused Germany to pull more and more fighter units back from other fronts to defend Germany herself and by late 44' the slug fest over Europe was bleeding the Luftwaffe dry. The east front had a drastically reduced Luftwaffe by the time the Soviets started pushing back into German occupied territory. The war could have lasted much longer had the Luftwaffe existed in 43' strength during the Normandy invasion. By June of 1944 the Luftwaffe was a shadow of its former self all owing to the Strategic air war raging over Germany herself. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I pretty much agree. The one thing it did thou was to allow these air battles to happen later on using the British Isles as a huge aircraft carrier and a spring board for invasion.

The British isles should have been a priority IMO before any attack on Russia.

WTE_Galway
09-10-2009, 05:57 PM
Sealion could never have succeeded -- landing craft inadequate for the conditions with no serious naval support ...

Artist impression of some of the new fish planned for SOW

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y101/clannagh/fishies.jpg

stalkervision
09-10-2009, 06:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WTE_Galway:
Sealion could never have succeeded -- landing craft inadequate for the conditions with no serious naval support ...

Artist impression of some of the new fish planned for SOW

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y101/clannagh/fishies.jpg </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If the Germans had managed to get aerial supremacy over the english channel the British navy would been been toast. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif

IMO the german airforce squandered their forces attacking the mainland cities too much.

danjama
09-10-2009, 06:12 PM
The truth is that the BoB was a tool to scare the Brits into backing out so Hitler could turn east after his real goal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Man am i glad YOU know the truth and shared it with us all, i can sleep easier now...

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

WTE_Galway
09-10-2009, 06:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stalkervision:

If the Germans had managed to get aerial supremacy over the english channel the British navy would been been toast. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif

IMO the german airforce squandered their forces attacking the mainland cities too much. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have never read any historical reports anywhere that gave Sealion a snowballs chance in hell of actually succeeding.

It was an incredibly ill conceived plan made up on the spur of the moment that would have been a disaster of gargantuan proportions if ever attempted with the equipment they planned to use.

This is typical ...

http://www.philm.demon.co.uk/M...llaneous/Sealion.htm (http://www.philm.demon.co.uk/Miscellaneous/Sealion.htm)

The conclusion drawn:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We can choose to wave a magic wand, and wipe out the RN and the RAF, and examine how successful the invasion was likely to be in their absence. Sandhurst has done this on four occasions to my knowledge. Both sides were given the historical starting positions, with an invasion date of 24 September.

In each case, the details of the fighting varied, but by each analysis resulted in 27 September dawning with the Wehrmacht holding two isolated beachheads, one at roughly 2 divisions strength on Romney March, and one of 1 division at Pevensey. Each were opposed by more numerous forces, with growing numbers of tanks and artillery. German resupply was still across open beaches.

Operation Sealion can only be described as a blueprint for a German disaster. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Freiwillige
09-10-2009, 06:19 PM
Operation Sealion was doomed from the onset. Sure If Germany could get enough boots on English soil the conclusion is a forgone one. But Germany did not have the resources needed to land anything but 9 divisions. The Rhein river barges were small and ill suited to the job. Sure the Luftwaffe could hold the Royal navy at bay with the U-boat fleet helping but the fact of the matter is in 1940 Germany did not have the equipment to invade England. Nothing is impossible but the chance of success is quit limited and bordering on miraculous!

If Germany had any serious ability to transport troops the outcome would have been quite different.

JSG72
09-10-2009, 07:34 PM
Back "On Topic".

Seeing, as SOW. Will be released on Console. And that most console add ons. Cost "****pence". But are hard to obtain. And then come together, in an exclusive/expensive package. That has lost its "Sheen".

I Fear for SOW.

We are all fans of CFS.
But TBH. This Sim has to be marketed as the " All Mother of Mighty God programs" to succeed.

Something that requires beyond/Or stresses current Tech. To be able to run it.
Something that will be a benchmark, for all subsequent games. (As opposed to Flight Sims.)
That way, it will get much coverage from all Benchmarking sites and PC fans.( Like Crysis was. Still is?)

Other than, just another "Console Game" release that you, maybes buy you kids. Of a weekend?

Let's face it. If it don't cut it in the market. It gets dropped. SOW. PC. Is a prime candidate.
Be real . 4.09m, hasn't happened.(Yet, Ever?)
So why? should development of SOW,be any different?

Beyond the original BOB scenario.(Unless of course it has already been built and we enthusiasts. (As always) Will forever.
Fall for the "Drip feed" scenario?)

I hope not.

IL2 was a benchmark.

SOW. has to be to.

It requires to be. An aspiration/something everyone wants. But find our desires. More and more elusive. With just a hint of realisation.

That is. TMM. What should, define SOW.

OLEG! PTN.

danjama
09-10-2009, 08:00 PM
SOW isn't being released on console.

Fail.

The_Stealth_Owl
09-10-2009, 08:01 PM

I'f you don't like it, go make your own damn game!

I think time is prgressing nicely, this game will be awsome.

I think we can afford to be patient... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

JSG72
09-10-2009, 08:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by danjama:

Fail. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please. elaborate?

I appear to be purchasing the wrong SIM? for the PS3???

You also seem to be missing the complete and utter point of my post.

Read. and comment wisely. Otherwise. Just F**k off.

Your knowledge of CFS and the marketing of. Would appear to be. Less than zero.

Freiwillige
09-10-2009, 08:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JSG72:

Please. elaborate?

I appear to be purchasing the wrong SIM? for the PS3??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are referring to (IL2:Birds of prey) for xbox360 and PS3

WTE_Galway
09-10-2009, 08:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JSG72:

Please. elaborate?

I appear to be purchasing the wrong SIM? for the PS3??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are referring to (IL2:Birds of prey) for xbox360 and PS3 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The company producing Birds of Prey licensed bits of the IL2 engine off 1C ... but it is a different company and a totally separate development team from the developers of IL2/SOW.

If anything the Il2/SOW connection with the console game is more marketing hype in an attempt to cash in on the popularity of IL2 then anything else. Apparently the new developers did not use that mch of the IL2 code.

Read this:

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/s...=43186&postcount=936 (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpost.php?p=43186&postcount=936)

JSG72
09-10-2009, 08:22 PM
And so? BOP has been out for Yonks.

We are talking about SOW?

Unless of course I am missing the BOP, SOW. BoB scenario http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Which. Of course , brings me back to my original post.

IE? Will it happen?

Chivas
09-10-2009, 08:26 PM
Freiwillige Your confused.

BOB BOP (Birds of Prey)is a console game only, developed by another developer who borrowed Oleg's FM's from the IL-2 series..

SOW (Storm of War) is Oleg's completely new PC CFS series starting with the Battle of Britain due out in the last half of 2010. It should be the next benchmark combat flight sim. Although we have seen little to verify this, other than some excellent aircraft, vehicles, artillery, buildings, and Oleg's hopes of having a cinematic level of detail. In game screenshots may appear this month, but don't hold your breath.

WTE_Galway
09-10-2009, 08:42 PM
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

BOP was released in the US on 8th September 2009

I suppose 3 days is yonks in gaming circles http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

So if you do not mean Birds of Prey what console game are we talking about ?????

JSG72
09-10-2009, 09:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WTE_Galway:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

BOP was released in the US on 8th September 2009

I suppose 3 days is yonks in gaming circles http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

So if you do not mean Birds of Prey what console game are we talking about ????? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It'll be the one, we are all talking about http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Trust me.

orville07
09-10-2009, 09:53 PM
"And thirdly, let's face it: The Battle of Britain is the most over-done, overmarketed, mundane, boring, clichéd theatre of the 2nd world war. I'd much rather fly a mediterranean scenario or an 8th airforce scenario or a north-africa scenario than the freaking battle of britain."

Don't buy it then mate......No one will miss you, and your problem is solved in one fell swoop. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

ImpStarDuece
09-10-2009, 10:00 PM
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fuhrer Directive 16, and the fact that Germany crippled much of her economy for several months assembling the equipment for a Channel crossing tends to disprove this "truth".

However, Hitler's mind is a great unknowable, so its impossible to prove either way. Its one of those eternally debatable questions about the war.

Certainly, the German army and navy wanted no part in any invasion of England (likening it to sticking their hands in a sausage grinder), while Goering was confident that the Luftwaffe could cowl the UK into submission all by itself.

The plan for an invasion was finalised, and the resources for it were assembled. I don't believe that it was a bluff, but I don't believe it had any real chance of success either.

WTE_Galway
09-10-2009, 10:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by orville07:
"And thirdly, let's face it: The Battle of Britain is the most over-done, overmarketed, mundane, boring, clichéd theatre of the 2nd world war. I'd much rather fly a mediterranean scenario or an 8th airforce scenario or a north-africa scenario than the freaking battle of britain."

Don't buy it then mate......No one will miss you, and your problem is solved in one fell swoop. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

absolutely ... which is why I am NOT buying it either http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

and I do not expect to be missed nor I will miss the BoB fan boys http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Mr_Zooly
09-10-2009, 11:59 PM
But long term you might just be shooting yourselves in the foot there, the way I understand it is thus: SoW: BoB is only the first part/scenario of a bigger sim followed by (not sure in which order) France, Poland and who knows where it will end.

Chivas
09-11-2009, 12:06 AM
The Battle of Britain is the most logical starting point for the Storm of War series. The smaller Spanish Civil War, Battle of Poland and France will be done by third parties. I agree that BOB has been done many times before on game engines ten plus years old so I doubt there would be much resemblance.

Even if I prefered other theaters of war, I would still buy the first installment of SOW. Your purchases may just help insure that there are future additions to the series that would include your favorite theaters.

WTE_Galway
09-11-2009, 12:15 AM
But long term you might just be shooting yourselves in the foot there, the way I understand it is thus: SoW: BoB is only the first part/scenario of a bigger sim followed by (not sure in which order) France, Poland and who knows where it will end. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Never said I wouldn't buy it later on when it gets some reasonable support and expansions.

Just never been interested in the original BoB release.

Treetop64
09-11-2009, 02:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The_Stealth_Owl:

I'f you don't like it, go make your own damn game!

I think time is prgressing nicely, this game will be awsome.

I think we can afford to be patient... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That really wasn't necessary, Owl, OK? The man is making a point. You can agree or disagree, but don't blast someone just because they have a different opinion other than yours...

danjama
09-11-2009, 04:50 AM

Please. elaborate?

I appear to be purchasing the wrong SIM? for the PS3???

You also seem to be missing the complete and utter point of my post.

Read. and comment wisely. Otherwise. Just F**k off.

Your knowledge of CFS and the marketing of. Would appear to be. Less than zero. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, you **** off.

blairgowrie
09-11-2009, 04:57 AM
Boy oh boy. This one went down hill fast.

Locked.