PDA

View Full Version : Mission starts of Paused - Doesn't unpause

lancerr
04-26-2005, 09:41 PM
I've been playing SHIII for a couple of days now and then randomly encountered a bug that doesn't allow me to play anymore.

When starting saved games, single missions etc. the mission says initializing, then says game paused.

If I press backspace, it unpauses for 1 second and goes back to paused. I can hear the music and moving around the mouse, i can see icons for the internal part of the sub pop up. However, I can't play the mission. I have uninstalled the game but the bug appeared again.

At a loss for what to do. The games was playing fine for several days.

I have a Sager 3790 with Pentium M 1.6 with ATI Radeon 9700.

lancerr
04-26-2005, 09:41 PM
I've been playing SHIII for a couple of days now and then randomly encountered a bug that doesn't allow me to play anymore.

When starting saved games, single missions etc. the mission says initializing, then says game paused.

If I press backspace, it unpauses for 1 second and goes back to paused. I can hear the music and moving around the mouse, i can see icons for the internal part of the sub pop up. However, I can't play the mission. I have uninstalled the game but the bug appeared again.

At a loss for what to do. The games was playing fine for several days.

I have a Sager 3790 with Pentium M 1.6 with ATI Radeon 9700.

RedTerex
04-27-2005, 12:13 AM
Try using the + key on the keypad of your keyboard.
This accelerates time. It may be that your time compression keeps going to zero as opposed to 1x or real time !

Try compressing time to x4 or x8 straight away and leave it for a while then go back to 1x and see if that helps.

The - keypad key should also pause the game whereas the + will unpause it.

Apart from that I'm not sure what else it could be!

good luck !

Maj_Solo
04-27-2005, 12:25 AM
could also be a joystick or similar device that you in recent days left on in a mode where it constantly transmits the pause command ... wild guess .... the program abviously reacts to someting. But I have also experienced loosing control over SHIII I can click anywhere and nothing happens but I guess that may not be SH3s fault.

Feathered_IV
04-27-2005, 06:55 AM
Wow, I can finally do something to help someone!

This very same thing happened to me several times and the only thing I could do was completely uninstall the game and reinstall everything. All those lost campaigns http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif

I noticed that when I opted to retain my game saves that the problem persisted but when I wiped eveything it was fine. Figuring it had to be something in the gamesave files that was causing the problem (did you get a hint of the windows taskbar at the bottom of the screen too that wouldn't go away?) I removed one file from the My Documents/SH3/data/cfg folder at a time and started up the game to see if it made a difference.

It turns out the offending file was the one called main.cfg that records your video and audio settings etc.

Just remove it and start up the game. Reselect your settings and hit Apply then exit the game. You will now find that a new main.cfg file has been made.

I made a copy of this so if the same thing happens again I can just paste it over the faulty one. Hopefully this will do the trick for you too.

Good luck!

lancerr
04-27-2005, 09:40 AM
Wow - thanks for all the responses.

Feathered_IV : You hit it on the head. I ended up deleting the entire Data directory in my documents but what you suggest is a lot easier. However, when I deleted the file, and restart the game - the game crashes at random times (when it did not do so before). In addition, in night missions, I get a huge graphic error where it looks like the Moon has been replaced by a huge rectangle mapped with a radial gradiant from black to white(looks like a glictch in the graphics)

Should I start turning off graphic effects? I turned off particle sysmtems but that didn't seem to change anythingg.

Thanks for all the responses btw?

Feathered_IV
04-28-2005, 02:43 AM
Hmm, thats odd. I didn't get any of those side effects - except the random crashing to desk and system restarts. But they happened before this problem anyway so I figured it was just something to put up with. Actually, my wife and I have an agreement whereby I can play this sim in the evenings up until the first CTD then I've got to spend quality time! Some nights it runs really well. Others I have to settle for some nookie instead http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

BTW - Did you reselect all your video and audio preferences and save them? You should have a new main.cfg if you did. I'm sorry it was only a partial fix and not a complete cure to your troubles. I don't have the expertise of many of the other members of the community.....

Best regards.