PDA

View Full Version : Is my CEM broken?

Skycat_2
09-26-2005, 03:43 PM
Since FB's release I've been daunted by the CEM, and I've been content to use automix in the difficulty options. In the last few days I've been experimenting with CEM in 4.01m and I'm confused by how random the features seem to be for various plane families. Sometimes the exclusion of a feature makes historical sense to me but other times it simply appears that features aren't coded in or aren't working. Can somebody help me understand?

Some examples:

Soviet
I-153 M-62, I-16 type 18, LaGG-3, Yak-1b, Yak-7a, Yak-9, P-40M Field Mod: Adjustable radiator, 0-120% mixture, adjustable prop pitch, two supercharger positions, no WEP.
IL-2 Type 3M, MiG-3: Adjustable radiator, 0-120% mixture, adjustable prop pitch, no supercharger options, no WEP.
I-185 M-71: Adjustable radiator, 0-120% mixture, adjustable prop pitch, three supercharger positions, WEP engaged by keyboard.
La-5, La-7: Adjustable radiator, 0-120% mixture, adjustable prop pitch, two supercharger positions, WEP (engaged by keyboard on La-5).

USAAC
P-38J, P-39N-1, P-400, Hawk 81 A2, P-40, P-40B: Adjustable radiator, no mixture control, adjustable prop pitch, no supercharger, no WEP.
P-38L, P-47D-10, P47D-27, P-51C-NT, P-51D-20, P-63C: Adjustable radiator, no mixture control, adjustable prop pitch, no supercharger, automatic WEP.

USN
Buffalo Mk.I, F2A2: 100% and 120% mixture settings, adjustable prop pitch, two supercharger positions, no WEP.
F4F3: 100% and 120% mixture settings, adjustable prop pitch, three supercharger positions, no WEP.
F4U-1A, F4U-1D, F6F-3: 100% and 120% mixture settings, adjustable prop pitch, three supercharger positions, automatic WEP.
SBD-3: Adjustable radiator positions, 0-120% mixture settings, adjustable prop pitch, no super charger options, no WEP.

I could go on -- the Luftwaffe fighters and the Spitfires typically have few to no adjustable settings while the Japanese fighters and Hurricanes are more like the Soviet planes. What has me curious is why do the U.S. planes generally have no mixture or supercharger control and why is WEP engaged automatically? And what purpose does 120% mixture serve other than to choke the engine to death?

Skycat_2
09-26-2005, 03:43 PM
Since FB's release I've been daunted by the CEM, and I've been content to use automix in the difficulty options. In the last few days I've been experimenting with CEM in 4.01m and I'm confused by how random the features seem to be for various plane families. Sometimes the exclusion of a feature makes historical sense to me but other times it simply appears that features aren't coded in or aren't working. Can somebody help me understand?

Some examples:

Soviet
I-153 M-62, I-16 type 18, LaGG-3, Yak-1b, Yak-7a, Yak-9, P-40M Field Mod: Adjustable radiator, 0-120% mixture, adjustable prop pitch, two supercharger positions, no WEP.
IL-2 Type 3M, MiG-3: Adjustable radiator, 0-120% mixture, adjustable prop pitch, no supercharger options, no WEP.
I-185 M-71: Adjustable radiator, 0-120% mixture, adjustable prop pitch, three supercharger positions, WEP engaged by keyboard.
La-5, La-7: Adjustable radiator, 0-120% mixture, adjustable prop pitch, two supercharger positions, WEP (engaged by keyboard on La-5).

USAAC
P-38J, P-39N-1, P-400, Hawk 81 A2, P-40, P-40B: Adjustable radiator, no mixture control, adjustable prop pitch, no supercharger, no WEP.
P-38L, P-47D-10, P47D-27, P-51C-NT, P-51D-20, P-63C: Adjustable radiator, no mixture control, adjustable prop pitch, no supercharger, automatic WEP.

USN
Buffalo Mk.I, F2A2: 100% and 120% mixture settings, adjustable prop pitch, two supercharger positions, no WEP.
F4F3: 100% and 120% mixture settings, adjustable prop pitch, three supercharger positions, no WEP.
F4U-1A, F4U-1D, F6F-3: 100% and 120% mixture settings, adjustable prop pitch, three supercharger positions, automatic WEP.
SBD-3: Adjustable radiator positions, 0-120% mixture settings, adjustable prop pitch, no super charger options, no WEP.

I could go on -- the Luftwaffe fighters and the Spitfires typically have few to no adjustable settings while the Japanese fighters and Hurricanes are more like the Soviet planes. What has me curious is why do the U.S. planes generally have no mixture or supercharger control and why is WEP engaged automatically? And what purpose does 120% mixture serve other than to choke the engine to death?

Kuna15
09-26-2005, 05:07 PM
Planes that don't have supercharger switcheable either do not have it or have it automaticated. Same goes for mixture and
120% mix is for taking off and really low altitudes, it is supposed to give a bit better performance to the aircraft on deck than with 100% mix.

hobnail
09-26-2005, 07:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Skycat_2:
yada yada </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

All of the above is hysterically accurate.

ZG77_Lignite
09-26-2005, 08:50 PM
It's really a complex subject Skycat, if you could narrow it down to a family or two of aircraft, it would be much easier to explain. As to your excellent (and long) list, you can rest assured that the vast majority of those aircraft are very reasonably modeled for historical accuracy. Of course there are aspects missing, sometimes even incorrect, but it is a simulation, not 'real life' http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Skycat_2
09-26-2005, 10:42 PM
I have no complaints about the sim, and I realize that quite simply some planes don't have niceties like superchargers and WEP boost. However, I wasn't sure if the lack of fuel/air mix for the U.S. fighters (especially) was indicative of a bad install on my machine or was the result of partially modeled flight characteristics. Automated? I can accept that ... I've just never heard anybody complain that manual mixture isn't available for many of the planes, is all, and seeing as how historic accuracy is a hallmark of this sim that is protected by the developer and cherished fanatically by the community I thought my findings were a bit surprising. I honestly wondered if it was only on my machine that these features were missing -- that perhaps I've forgotten to enable a setting or something that would allow, say, the entire P-47 series or the entire P-51 series or the entire F4U-1 series to have manual mixture control from 0% to 100% like the Soviet planes.

Okay, nuff rant. I've already accepted this observation as "just the way life is" and have forgotten about it. I'm just here to go down range and break stuff. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif